Rear Accent Trim Delete - Vinyl

This is a discussion on Rear Accent Trim Delete - Vinyl within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi all. To start, I'm new to the forum, and recently bought my 2011 WRX baby :-D I noticed that ...

Rear Accent Trim Delete - Vinyl

Hi all.

To start, I'm new to the forum, and recently bought my 2011 WRX baby :-D

I noticed that the rear accent trim (the ugly silver bar above the rear license plate) needs to go. Removing it doesn't seem to be an option, but I have seen a good amount of overlays for this job. Most of these cost about 100 bucks for the carbon fiber ones, however I stumbled upon this solution for 15 bucks 2008-2013 WRX STI Rear Trunk Trim Chrome Delete ( Carbon & Color Matched ) - Premium Auto Styling
    Pretty sure it's just a vinyl wrap, but wondered if anybody has done this before / has horror stories about doing so. Does it last long? I read about one person getting "swirl marks" in his after washing it. I guess the same question goes for taillight vinyl jobs too, same material/idea.

Also, if anybody has a red WRX/STI with a black delete over this, I am very curious what this would look like. Im hoping to smoke out my reverse lights and black delete this trim.

Thanks!
    --Sean

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I've ordered from them in the past, unfortunately the 3M vinyl they use is not the best quality IMO. My suggestion would be to buy some 3M 1080 vinyl in the color/pattern you like from amazon.com and remove the silver trunk trim to wrap it completely. I did it with my 11' sedan and it turned out great. Its been on for about 6 months now and I've experienced no fading, no edges peeling, and would highly recommend that product to anyone who wants to change the color of a particular part.

Here's a before and after, I also smoked the reverse/turn signal lights:

After:

Closeup of CF pattern:

FYI - 3M also makes a red colored carbon fiber vinyl

Looks good. What'd you use to do the turn signal portion of the tails?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I just bought a roll of light smoke vinyl tint from a seller on eBay.. 40x12" for $5. I was willing to take the gamble on quality for that price, and it turned out to be great. It took a bit of trial and error to get it on clean without any bubbles, but that was to be expected.

Sweet. Is it pretty straight forward pulling off that trim to wrap it? I've been under the assumption that doesn't pull off, just because all the tutorials of wrapping it nobody does.

It's pretty easy.. you have to take off the trunk lid liner, which is approximately 12 ribbed plastic push pins. After that it's a simple as unbolting 2 bolts and popping the trim off. The license plate light wiring harness removes very easily from the trim and can be left hanging on the trunk until you re-install it.

Applying the 3M 1080 Vinyl is fool proof! its extremely forgiving, and the use of a heat gun makes it sooo easy to work with on corners or cracks. I did the dash bezel and console shifter surround with the same vinyl, and I love it. Much more resistant to blemishes than the interior paint as well.

Oh nice, that looks really cool. Thanks for the tips :-)

No problem.. if you're thinking of trying it out.. I ordered it from Auto Vinyl Solutions (AVS) on amazon.com
    Great prices and you can even order small test pieces to see the quality, color, or pattern before buying a bigger roll.

ouhh. Kind of curious, what about the 3M vinyl did you find to be a downgrade from the 1080? Just the color intensity and real feel? Or was the 1080 actually easier to work with?

I'm not sure exactly what model Premium Auto Styling uses, It didn't have anything to identify it other than 3M on the backing. It was definitely not 3M 1080 though.
    Having bought the 1080 prior to ordering from them, I could tell as soon as I took it out of the package.. it felt quite a bit thinner and flimsy. The chrome window trim delete I bought from them would not stick properly.. so I didn't even bother to use their trunk trim, I just used the carbon 1080 that I had bought for the interior dash. You might as well start with the best quality vinyl, you'll thank me later.

I ended up plastidipping my trunk chrome accent, and getting vinyl covers for my reverse/turn signals. Looks pretty cool, im a much bigger fan of black and red then black and chrome. Now I just gotta decide to remove or plastidip the 'WRX' plate.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rear1.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	83.3 KB 
ID:	116030
    Plastidip job came out kind of sloppy, so I think I'll be redoing it today... at least I have an idea of what black on red looks like now :-)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rear2.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	116031

I would still recommend using vinyl for the best finish
    I'm doing my roof this week with 3M 1080 Gloss Black

The previous owner of my car had that trim paint matched to my Red. I really like it like that.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying