Need some advice on what to do

This is a discussion on Need some advice on what to do within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I had 35% tints done to my car a few months back (the legal percentage in CT). Since then I ...

Need some advice on what to do

I had 35% tints done to my car a few months back (the legal percentage in CT). Since then I have been pulled over on two separate occasions specifically for them. The cop told me in CT you need to have them inspected by the DMV, and if they are within the legal limit you are issued yellow stickers that must be affixed to each window. I looked into it and its over an hour drive to a DMV that will even do the inspection, and add to the fact that I don't want stickers on all of my windows I am not thrilled with the situation. I have never seen any car driving around in CT that has stickers for tint, so I feel like I am constantly being singled out for the color and car I drive. When I lived in NY I had 20% tints on my last car, and was never bothered for them, but since moving to CT I continually get stopped for my tints even with the legal percentage. So I really have two options; I can keep driving around and chance getting a ticket (thankfully haven't been issued one yet) or I can remove some, if not all of my tint. What would you guys do?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    i would probably just keep driving until i actually got a ticket.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Its basically up to you...I suggest to Keep all your power windows down while driving or down before approaching law enforcement.

I Support ClubWRX
    Remove the tint. Problem solved.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by itiswhatitisnt View Post
    Its basically up to you...I suggest to Keep all your power windows down while driving or down before approaching law enforcement.
    Police aren't stupid, they know this trick and will seek you out if they thing you're trying to get away with something.

If I were you, I'd do it the right way and go to the DMV. Tints usually look great on our cars and if you're within the legal limit, I'd go with it. If the yellow stickers are big an obnoxious, store them in the glove compartment and provide them if you're pulled over. I think it's much easier to talk yourself out of a ticket if you've done all the right steps and have the documents to prove it. Could they still ticket you? Sure, but you're more likely to receive some sympathy if your only reason for not applying is aesthetics.

What color is your car? What other mods have been made?

Quote Originally Posted by mcdbrendan View Post
    Police aren't stupid, they know this trick and will seek you out if they thing you're trying to get away with something.

If I were you, I'd do it the right way and go to the DMV. Tints usually look great on our cars and if you're within the legal limit, I'd go with it. If the yellow stickers are big an obnoxious, store them in the glove compartment and provide them if you're pulled over. I think it's much easier to talk yourself out of a ticket if you've done all the right steps and have the documents to prove it. Could they still ticket you? Sure, but you're more likely to receive some sympathy if your only reason for not applying is aesthetics.

What color is your car? What other mods have been made?
    The color is WRB, and I have Rally Armor mudflaps and 4" nameless axelback exhaust

Never said they were stupid. My recipe has worked since Y2K.
    Everyone has a recipe. But its how you use the recipe in order for the recipe to be successful.

Good Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by itiswhatitisnt View Post
    After getting pulled over the first time I have been keeping my windows rolled down through certain towns I drive through to get to work. However, last night I was pulled over at night with the front windows down. I think I am just going to remove all of the tint. Thanks for the responses.

I Support ClubWRX
    I'd figure out something cool to do in the same area as the DMV and get the stickers. You paid for the product, and unless you don't like it (you just dislike the negative attention from LEO you're getting), keep it.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by mdkflip View Post
    The color is WRB, and I have Rally Armor mudflaps and 4" nameless axelback exhaust
    LOL, I can guarantee your axleback is what's causing all the attention, not your tints or your color.

Don't drive through certain towns? Stick to highways?

If you're legal, then take the time to get stickers. I'd rather not waste the money I spent on tint. They aren't that huge...Google them.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Basically, you have a car in 'hello officer' blue, and a 'hello officer' exhaust - I'd do everything possible to at least look legal for little items like tint. They are probably going to pull you over for whatever they can for a bit if you don't play by their rules.

I'm only saying that because you have both my favorite color and my favorite exhaust! So I'm jealous.

But in all honesty, did you take into account the stock 'tint'? I think it's something like 1 or 2% by our testing here in MA. You might want to have a local independent shop check the actual tint before going the hour to the DMV - I didn't and got rejected for like 1% over in MA during an inspection. I took the tint off the next day as it's a moving violation in MA. Your mileage may vary.
    2013 DGM WRX - Perrin CAI | PW TMIC | Forge BPV | Cobb DP | GS EBCS | DW 65C Pump | Perrin ELH & Uppipe | NGK One-Step Colder | Bren ProTune
    Best Time (on 4.21.13): 12.26 sec @ 113 mph

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mcdbrendan View Post
    LOL, I can guarantee your axleback is what's causing all the attention, not your tints or your color.
    Ding! The giant melon shooter is getting you pulled over, the tint is justification for the stop.

Several cars ago, I had a custom wide bodied car that looked like nothing on the road. I was pulled over, over a dozen times just because LEO's didn't know what it was, and thought for sure it must be illegal. The excuse they used on me after running everything and it checking out, was "Oh uh you had no front license plate." I laughed and would say "Riiiiiiight. You saw that from behind me huh?" They'd usually smile and say "Have a nice day." On a few occasions I actually got asked "What the hell is this thing?" Finally I got tired of being harassed, sold it, bought a Mini Cooper S, and was never pulled over once in it.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    Ding! The giant melon shooter is getting you pulled over, the tint is justification for the stop.

Several cars ago, I had a custom wide bodied car that looked like nothing on the road. I was pulled over, over a dozen times just because LEO's didn't know what it was, and thought for sure it must be illegal. The excuse they used on me after running everything and it checking out, was "Oh uh you had no front license plate." I laughed and would say "Riiiiiiight. You saw that from behind me huh?" They'd usually smile and say "Have a nice day." On a few occasions I actually got asked "What the hell is this thing?" Finally I got tired of being harassed, sold it, bought a Mini Cooper S, and was never pulled over once in it.
    The first time I was pulled over I didn't have the exhaust yet. This second time I was pulled over I had it on, and while he did mention the exhaust along with the tints he also was asking me a lot of questions and looking inside my car with his flashlight. I think he thought I was some sort of drug dealer or something. The area I was stopped in is a rich town, so I probably don't exactly fit in amongst the audi/bmw crowd. Whatever. I am going to try and take a day off and make the trip to the DMV in Wethersfield and get my tints inspected. Exhaust won't go anywhere unless I start getting tickets left and right.