Hood Scoop Paint Defect??

This is a discussion on Hood Scoop Paint Defect?? within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; hi, just purchased a 2013 wrx 5-door, dark grey metallic, picked it up from the dealer last week and while ...

Hood Scoop Paint Defect??

hi, just purchased a 2013 wrx 5-door, dark grey metallic, picked it up from the dealer last week and while i was looking it over, i noticed the paint on the hood scoop was wavy and bumpy. very odd.. i showed the salesman and he immediately agreed that it was not right, it looked like eventually it would crack. the dealer said they would order a new painted hood scoop and replace it for me. I got home, showed my wife and she noticed it too. The strange thing is, it's been a week later and i tell you i can't see a problem with it anymore. I've tried looking at it at many angles, in the sun, shade, at night with a flash light and the defect appears to be gone.. is this possible? and has anyone ever heard or seen this? i'm reluctant to change the scoop, the new part isn't in yet.. any thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

If they are going to be doing all of the work free of charge, I would just let them do it. Just to be safe sort of thing.
    '11 WRX DGM

Quote Originally Posted by mveby View Post
    hi, just purchased a 2013 wrx 5-door, dark grey metallic, picked it up from the dealer last week and while i was looking it over, i noticed the paint on the hood scoop was wavy and bumpy. very odd.. i showed the salesman and he immediately agreed that it was not right, it looked like eventually it would crack. the dealer said they would order a new painted hood scoop and replace it for me. I got home, showed my wife and she noticed it too. The strange thing is, it's been a week later and i tell you i can't see a problem with it anymore. I've tried looking at it at many angles, in the sun, shade, at night with a flash light and the defect appears to be gone.. is this possible? and has anyone ever heard or seen this? i'm reluctant to change the scoop, the new part isn't in yet.. any thoughts?
    the same exact thing happened to me, the day I got my car the paint on the scoop looked like they over did an area of it with more paint than they should, I was so eager to just drive the car that I didn't pay much attention to it and thought that it might be the angle I was looking at combined with the light. Now exactly 1 week later I was washing the car and noticed I can't see anything wrong with it, there are no traces of bumpy paint or anything, I even waxed the area and I can't see nothing wrong. It is really strange, in my case I did not complain about it and now that it's gone I will leave it be, but I suggest you look really close and if it's fine then decide if to change it or not it will be the exact same part and paint you might want to just let it be.
    Last edited by crows; 06-15-2013 at 10:22 PM.

I'd just have a frank discussion with the dealership and get it in writing. I brought you my car, we both agreed the paint looked funny, now it doesn't, but should something happen in the reasonably near future with the paint in that spot I would like you to honor your offer.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Same thing happened to me. It just went away. They were going to order a new one but I called it off after a week and it was gone