HID Installation Help

This is a discussion on HID Installation Help within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a 2013 WRX premium hatchback and looking to throw some HIDs on the car. Do i have to ...

HID Installation Help

I have a 2013 WRX premium hatchback and looking to throw some HIDs on the car. Do i have to buy a whole new kit to have HIDs or can i just buy the bulb?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

You need to sway to STI head lights or retrofit some HID projectors from theretofitsource.com. I believe they have a quick mount system that works for your model year. Please DO NOT put HID bulbs in stock projectors.

Quote Originally Posted by SKI.WRX View Post
    You need to sway to STI head lights or retrofit some HID projectors from theretofitsource.com. I believe they have a quick mount system that works for your model year. Please DO NOT put HID bulbs in stock projectors.
    That helps thank you. I want a bright and clear white for the light. I was thinking of going 5000kelvins, but do you recommend something else?

Quote Originally Posted by stu25 View Post
    That helps thank you. I want a bright and clear white for the light. I was thinking of going 5000kelvins, but do you recommend something else?
    +1 for theretrofitsource.com - Their knowledge and customer service is second to none.

Having said that, doing a complete retrofit does require some skill and confidence even with their retro-quik kit. You will need to remove the front bumper of the car to take out the headlight housing, bake them in the oven to separate the front lens from the rear housing and finally take out the inside projector housing bracket to replace the halogen projector with the HID projector. Its a full days work for a first time retrofitter. Personally I went with the Morimoto D2S 5000k bulbs and I love them. They have a slight blueish tint to them, however, if you want the clearest white light possible.. you should get 4300k bulbs. Colour on true HID bulbs is a lot different from what you may have seen with cheap eBay crap. Most OEM cars come with 4300k bulbs. Here are a few pics of my retro and beam color:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0254.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	126.9 KB 
ID:	114401Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0255.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	103.1 KB 
ID:	114402Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0256.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	114403Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0257.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	73.5 KB 
ID:	114404Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0258.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	75.1 KB 
ID:	114405Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0471.jpg 
Size:	127.7 KB 
ID:	114406Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0475.jpg 
Size:	115.3 KB 
ID:	114407Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0477.jpg 
Size:	74.8 KB 
ID:	114408Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0479.jpg 
Size:	79.9 KB 
ID:	114409
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0252.jpg  

4300K Is what I have. Looks white but not blue. OEM HID bulbs are typically 4300-4600 K

I just bought the H9's and cut the little tab off like many here do. Honestly I think it lights up the road just as well as HID's, and I came from a 370z that had EXCELLENT HID's on it. Either way though, I don't think i'd want to spend the money that I don't have doing it right lol. I guess that's why I opted for the H9's.
    2012 WRX: TurboXS DP, AEM CAI, TP stage 2 tune

Quote Originally Posted by SKI.WRX View Post
    I swapped in HID xenon bulbs and ballasts in OEM projector housing on my 2010 WRX and they're fine, what's the big deal?
    2010 WRB WRX

Quote Originally Posted by boone1186 View Post
    I swapped in HID xenon bulbs and ballasts in OEM projector housing on my 2010 WRX and they're fine, what's the big deal?

They're fine for you sitting in the drivers seat, however, passing drivers may have a different opinion of "fine". OEM halogen projectors are not designed for HID bulbs. They do not emit a proper beam pattern using a cutoff shield and will blind other drivers. Google it.. I'm pretty sure you'll find a thread on every "car club" website that backs up that information. Try HiDplanet : The Official Automotive Lighting Forum or search this forum.. I've seen it discussed 100's of times...

+1 on the retrofit. I retrofitted mine using Morimoto bi-xenon projectors. It was my first time, everything went smoothly. Just take your time and everything will turn out good.
    -NAS

2011 SUBARU WRX (LR) - DAILY
    MODS: 30% Tint - Smoked Tails - Bi-Xenon Projector retrofit w/ DDM Tuning 35w5000k - Fender vent led turn signals - Kartboy short throw shifter w/ bushings - Flossy Shift knob

@Liquid2k/ anyone, I wanted to put on Angel Eyes as well with the lights. I want the 4300k bulbs, but will the blue or the clear white angel eyes look better with that. I have a plasma blue pearl wrx hatchback, but i dont know if the blue just looks ridiculous or not.

Also Liquid2k, what exactly did you get from theretrofitsource.com? Like what would i need to buy in order to have the same set up as you, but in 4300k? My first car I didnt do any changing to it because i knew i wouldnt keep it longer then 4 years, but with my subaru i plan to keep it for a long time, but needless to say i know nothing about lights and frankly with my luck... Id screw it all up so the more info would be much, much, much appreciated. When people ask what i put on my car i dont wanna say oh i just paid some guy to do it i wanna know what the hell im talking about. Thanks guys!

For easiest drop-in, http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...roducts_id=254, then select Impreza from the drop down menu.

Shameless plug.
    2013 WRX Plasma Blue Pearl

Quote Originally Posted by stu25 View Post
    @Liquid2k/ anyone, I wanted to put on Angel Eyes as well with the lights. I want the 4300k bulbs, but will the blue or the clear white angel eyes look better with that. I have a plasma blue pearl wrx hatchback, but i dont know if the blue just looks ridiculous or not.
    Stu25, the colour of angel eyes will be based on your personal opinion.. other than depending on where you live, blue lights on the front of a vehicle are considered illegal. If you plan on running 4300k bulbs, than in my opinion the white angel eyes would match the best.

Morimoto Retro-Quik System - Complete Retrofit Kits from The Retrofit Source Inc for the exact product I ordered, make sure to select the 08-11 impreza in the application drop down box. It will work for 12/13 models as well. The extra $70 added is because they include OEM Matsu****a ballasts that mount directly to the bottom of the headlight housing. This is great because you dont have to find a place to mount an aftermarket ballast near the headlight inside the engine bay. It also includes upgraded Philips 85122 Bulbs.

Morimoto xbALed Angel Eyes - Accessories from The Retrofit Source Inc those would be the xbALed Angel eyes suggested for the retrofit as well... I would email them to double check which configuration size will work with the OEM projector surround... or check around this site of hidplanet.com to see what others have done. Personally I didnt go with angel eyes so I'm not positive on size.

When you have the headlights apart, I removed the projector surround from the headlight lens and painted it all black with duplicolor auto paint before putting it all back together. If you have no experience with a project like this, plan to have a backup vehicle available.. and expect at least an entire day, maybe more to do a good job.. dont rush or you'll regret it in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by chutoyy View Post
    For easiest drop-in, Morimoto Retro-Quik System - Complete Retrofit Kits from The Retrofit Source Inc, then select Impreza from the drop down menu.
    Amazing retrofit, I just cant justify the extra money spent on a quad right now..