First major road trip and I have windshield crack and bad gas issues

This is a discussion on First major road trip and I have windshield crack and bad gas issues within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I finally get to go on a road trip in the WRX. 1 hour in, I pick up a ...

Registered User Captain Obvious's Avatar

First major road trip and I have windshield crack and bad gas issues

So I finally get to go on a road trip in the WRX.

1 hour in, I pick up a rock on the driver side bottom of the windshield. Rest of the day I get to watch the crack spread. We will see what happens with insurance coverage/out of pocket/deductible but it is painful watching the slow process of the spreading crack, if it will go up or down, etc.

The other thing was 4 tanks of gas in, my MPG dropped from @24mpg to 17. Subaru dealer says bad gas "ethanol" quality and with no warning lights, there isn't much they can do. No stumbles, power is good, no signs other than the computer is indicating my MPG dropped by 20%. I am trying to burn to the bottom of the tank to see if "fresh" gas fixes the issue. Has anyone else had issues like this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I've been using ethanol in mine lately, 93, and I still average 23.4 around my home town. Either something is up or the gas is really terrible.

How do u drive? Do u stay in boost a lot? Even when I drove my 2010 hard on a tank I still got 19mpg.

And why get the tank low? I've always been told, whether true or not, the lower the gas volume the more concentrated contaminates become in the gas. Quicker to clog up a fuel filter? Maybe possible but why find out, I try to never go under a quarter of a tank. No point in putting off buying more gas, have to sooner or later lol.
    Last edited by tesla317; 05-19-2013 at 04:20 AM.

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm getting my windshield fixed Monday morning, I picked up a rock Friday. I have a nice bullseye in the middle of my windshield. I should have turned on my windshield wipers when I saw it coming and try to bat it out of the way .
    2010 WRB WRX wagon

Wow, I get 27/28 on the highway. I just got 27.4//mpg last tank. That's real numbers too, not the car displayed mpgs that tend to read about an mpg higher than reality. If I romp on it , I still get 23/24 mpg. I'm stg 2 and commute 70+ a day when I get 27/28 mpg range.

Hope you find out what it was!

Couple things.....

Current trip is running across Colorado and Utah. I have found a couple stretches where there are no gas stations for 100 miles.

This 17 MPG is interstate driving, on the cruise control sitting on 75 - 80, so def not the gunning it, boosting scenario. Course since I don't have a boost gauge, so.......

MercRising, that is surprising you are getting such good mileage at elevation, I am definitely NOT seeing that on the car computer. My commute is COS to DTC when I am not working from home, 54 miles each way.

However I am also manually tracking miles and fill ups manually, so hope to nerd out with a spreadsheet later this week and see how the computers numbers compare to manual tracking.

Any thoughts on price to replace a window with wiper heating elements vs a windshield without the deicing heaters?

I Support ClubWRX
    My wife had to replace a windshield a few months back and we payed nothing. We have "full" covrage on the cars. We also have Travelers auto insurance.

I Support ClubWRX
    Really? Nobody says anything about "bad gas"? Pardon my immaturity!
    2006 Subaru Impreza WRX
    Obsidian Black Pearl
    CAI, Invidia Turboback, Cobb Accessport, Dipped OEM wheels, Rally Armor mud flaps, chin spoiler, HID headlights, and various other things.

Love that boxer sound

So the issue seems to have simply been the Ethanol %. Every tank I filled up with in Utah (BFE off the interstate stations) resulted in low fuel economy and all the pumps indicated the fuel would be up to 10% ethanol. The gas stations I go to in CO all indicate a max of 6%. Soon as I left Utah and got gas in COlorado, it leveled back out and returned to mid 20s.

Looking around online, it seems many cars are fine with 10% but there are some that struggle. <shrug>