Yellow fogs ...

This is a discussion on Yellow fogs ... within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; on a 2012 WRX ... Are there any tips on getting brighter yellow bulbs without going HID and with out ...

Yellow fogs ...

on a 2012 WRX ...

Are there any tips on getting brighter yellow bulbs without going HID and with out it breaking the bank? I tried to search but they're mainly all about low beam bulb conversion. I read the Daniel Stern site but it just explained the diff between yellow and white and HID's

The output on the factory fog lights are horrible. I know they're on but I can't tell the difference when on or off.

Any ideas on which bulbs to order and where to purchase. I would like brighter yellow output with no overlays...

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

KHP
    Make sure to aim your fogs correctly(Using Daniel Sterns Instruction). I found that they are aimed straight down from the factory which makes them utterly useless. This is probably because people leave them on all the time. Fogs are notorious for glaring on coming traffic due to it's ultra wide flat beam pattern.

I have converted mine to selective yellow using Daniel Sterns instructions. It involves spray painting the lens with Duplicolor metalCast paint. I did three coats of the stuff and it turned out like the old classic yellow fogs. Then I had to modify the Impreza fog protector acrylic panes to fit so that no rocks/pebbles/dust hit the front of the lens and ruin the selective yellow conversion (Impreza Fog Light Protector Acrylic Shields! 2008-2011, SubaruGenuineParts.com).

According to Daniel Stern the above painting method is the best way to do the conversion as it's very difficult to find quality selective yellow bulbs. Not even overlays can match the paint method because the intensity of the yellow is not as deep as multiple coats of the paint.

Then I replaced the bulbs with Philips HIR2012's bulbs. Only convert the bulb after doing the selective yellow paint mod. The bulb produces up to I believe 40% more lumens for the same wattage. the yellow filtration will tone it down a little. Use your fogs only as needed (heavy rain/Fog/Snow etc...). The fogs will end up glaring into oncoming traffic due to it's very wide low beam.

Having factory HID's from the Limited WRX's help as well since I just use the leveling switch to lower the low beam full down when it's snowing heavily/heavy fog/heavy rain which makes the fog work 10x better.

If you just want a bulb mod you can try looking for the PIAA Plasma Ion 9006 bulbs. I have not used them, but they may not be as bright as HIR conversion (9006 spec only allows for max 1000 lumens while HIR2012 allow max 1870 lumens).
    Last edited by KHP; 05-14-2013 at 08:17 AM.
    2011 WRX Limited Spark Silver (5 Door)

Awesome! Thanks for the reply!

On my previous car (08 Accord Coupe) I had these bulbs. I felt that they were a perfect yellow. The nice thing about these is that they aren't high in wattage and don't get too hot so they shouldn't melt the housings/wiring.

Hoen