Epic Idea - Looks like it'll be sweet.
Had this idea back about 6 months ago. Had started to install some visual mods on our 13 STI Hatch, but looking at the older models, I fell in love with the proper rally look of the big fogs in the stock bumper location, and it started me thinking. Spent an hour looking at the 13' stock bumper cover options w/o cutting it and came to much the same conclusion.
It amazes me how many people love to stick stuff, in one way or another, in front of the radiator on a car so keenly in need of unfettered cooling. I get that much of the air is also scooped up in the lower grille section, but I'm still not comfy with the idea.
So then... This is a great way to get some big a$$ lights on the newest WRX/STI. And yes, I think it has potential to make someone some nice cash if done well enough to be used for real rally conditions, as well as looking good for the rest of us.
Still, I think there's a few considerations for the design -
1. Don't cut anything if you can help it. If there are covers for those holes w/o the air flow slot, those might be a good candidate for cutting, at minimum.
2. If the lights are inset too deep simply for the 'proper look' there will be interference with the light beam pattern because the portion of the bumper-cover hole toward the center of the car will be out front of the light lens, possibly cutting off a bit of the beam. If that is kept in mind, and the inset of the light is not too extreme it shouldn't be a problem as the portion of each lights beam thrown to the center of the car comes from the opposite side of each light's reflector.
3. Donno if the old style had covers for the lights, but these expensive lights down that low may suffer much too often from pebbles and road garbage hitting them. I wouldn't consider lights with no option for some protective covering better than thin film.
4. Would be really cool if that square hole shape around the round light could be made to match the light's shape with a integral cover for that hole. THAT's the million dollar fix that would really make this a sweet and clean mod. For the time being, fiberglass would be fine and would allow for some shape to be added to the cover. If those cooling slots really do anything, that should maybe be a part of these covers too.
Maybe go for a rounded off corners on a semi-square hole cover so as to let some air still flow around the light, and also give it a slight bit of the old school look which was good. Just soften the square hole edge some.
(as noted, a plain stock cover may be easily cut for a good substitute)
5. Additionally, an 'optional' idea for the shape of the integrated square hole cover - Choose a popular BIGGER light set and fit the even larger lights by shaping the cover to let a BIG light sit somewhat outside the cover hole.
Still tho, nowadays is a huge reflector/light as necessary as back when?
6. Stiff brackets so the lights that are heavier don't bounce. And try to use existing bolts/holes on the car if you'd like to make this an easy/cleaner kinda thing to sell.
7. To make brackets smaller/shorter/lighter/stiffer - can the light buckets be hung upside down and the lens/reflector be rotated 180 in the bucket?
8. And last but not least, if you're game to stick your neck out there style wise - take a look at these (In white even!!!) and consider other looks for a more modern approach to lights in the same location. May actually make for a better more 'current' look for the 2013 STI -
Squadron LED Lights
I still like the big round lights myself.
This is a great idea - Do It!