HID questions and potential future sticky

This is a discussion on HID questions and potential future sticky within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok so I'm going to start off saying that yes, I did research this, but there are too many conflicting ...

HID questions and potential future sticky

Ok so I'm going to start off saying that yes, I did research this, but there are too many conflicting posts to wrap my head around. : Yes, I am a newb on this forum (see post count) but I was pretty well-respected on the BMW forums I was on when I had my E36.

I know that the best way to get HIDs are to retrofit projector lenses into your OEM housings. This does not look like fun and I would like to avoid it if possible but AM willing to do it. I have been told by some very knowledgeable people that since I have a blobeye I can simply put HIDs in the standard reflector housing since they are the same lights from the STi which was designed for HIDs. Their logic is that HIDs have been around long before projector lenses and the first applications had them in reflector housings. I am skeptical however since I don't want to blind other people. What I would like, and this is what I'm having trouble finding, is 4 images of the light patterns on a garage door (or similar flat surface).

Image 1: OEM Blobeye headlight pattern
    Image 2: HIDs in the OEM WRX Blobeye housing
    Image 3: HIDs in the OEM STi Blobeye housing (if different than WRX. It shouldnt be since the p/n are the same)
    Image 4: HID projectors retrofit into OEM housings

If you guys help me find these images i'll try and put together a sticky the shows exactly what you'll get with each application.

The only reason I'm asking about this is because I found a place that will sell a PnP HID kit for $50 with a lifetime warranty. Thats MUCH more appealing than dropping a grand on retrofits.
    WARNING: Has Dumb Ideas

Dab of Oppo anyone?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

not the best place to ask everyone hates drop in hids here. i dont!!! ive done it on every one of my cars. dont get the 55 watt ones thats were you start. get the 35 watt ones its plenty of light. second adjust the projector it should have two bolts on the back of the housing. one does verical and the other does horizontal. if you chose to do a retrofit its not as hard as it looks. i painted the inside of my headlights it all comes apart easy. just gotta be easy with them the plastic breaks easy.

I don't mind the drop in hid. I'm running a 55 watt slim ballast right now

Nsibanez you have projectors already in your housing. The 04/05 blob eyes do not. What I'm looking for are images to help me and others decide on the route to go.

Njandy what year/model is your car?

Dab of Oppo anyone?

Then look at cars without projectors. I didn't have projectors in my Lancer and still went the same route

07 wrx

Nsibanez that's what I'm looking for. Images of beam patterns from cars with HIDs but no projectors... I can't find any.

Dab of Oppo anyone?