5dr STI tow plate/front plate relocation

This is a discussion on 5dr STI tow plate/front plate relocation within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; My hatch is currently in transit and should arrive on the 10th. I'm stationed in San Diego, California, where front ...

5dr STI tow plate/front plate relocation

My hatch is currently in transit and should arrive on the 10th. I'm stationed in San Diego, California, where front plates are, unfortunately, required. Do you know if the car comes with holes predrilled or if the dealer does it upon arrival? If the latter, has anyone requested that they not drill into the bumper, as you planned on using a tow plate? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The dealer drills the holes. Before I was handed the keys they asked me if I wanted them to drill the front license plate holes and I asked them not to. I would just ask your dealer ahead of time just to be sure that they don't drill the holes.

On my last car, a GTI, the dealer drilled the front license plate holes and the front plate was crooked/off center because the guy didn't drill into the dimples, so I wouldn't let a dealer drill holes in my car even if I planned to run the plate in the stock location.

(sent from my phone)

Thanks for the reply. I've done a quick Google search and I've seen an area on the front bumper that's specifically for a license plate that protrudes and appears to be from factory.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

Yes, the bumper has a mounting area on it from the factory. However, it does not come pre-drilled (the square holes are for Euro plates I think). So, if you plan to run a side mount plate you still want to ask them to not drill holes.

(sent from my phone)

What I'm getting at is, is there a better way to disguise/hide the ugly plate mount, if not with a license plate? Would it be pointless to mount plate elsewhere when the mounting area would then be visible all the time?

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2.

You can cover it with a plate delete. I believe Perrin, Cobb and Kartboy make them (others probably also make them). I opted to leave it naked since my bumper isn't drilled.

(sent from my phone)

Ok, thank you!

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2.