12v source when car is on?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 12v source when car is on? within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; '12 WRX. I want to tap into a 12v source for when the car is on. NOT tied into what ...

12v source when car is on?

'12 WRX. I want to tap into a 12v source for when the car is on. NOT tied into what lights are on (DLR/Parking/Lows). I just want it to supply power when the car is on.

This will be for a couple small LED lights pointed at my Hella Horns behind the upper grill. The GrillCraft upper grill is a lot more dense than I had initially thought and blocks a lot of visibility to the Hella Horns. Some faint LEDs would be nice so you can see them better day-or-night (Part of the fun of Hella Horns are the aesthetics right?). I really want to see them more. Not a grill glow or something stupid, just to lighten them up a bit because they look good and should be seen.

My initial thought is to tap into the 12v plug in the dash with a new fuse added in. Any other suggestions on how to do this?

inb4aesthetichaters

P.S. Before I cut any wires I'm going to post some pictures of a temp. mock-up to see what you guys think. Already got flamed in chat for even considering it, but I won't let that discourage me.
    Last edited by Desolatemm; 04-23-2013 at 04:14 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I'm sure you can find a fuse in the engine bay box(if they still have those on newer models) that you could tap into.

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    I'm sure you can find a fuse in the engine bay box(if they still have those on newer models) that you could tap into.
    True, I can see if there is an unused fuse slot in the engine bay. I know there are several in the fuse box under the dash at least. Can't remember off the top of my head if there are any empty fuse slot under the hood though. I would rather not tap into something being used, other than something straightforward like the 12v plug or dash lights.

Well, you don't want to run it unfused.. that could potentially cause a fire if it shorts.

Regardless of where it is tapped, It will have it's own fuse. I was just referring to a fuse slot that was already being used by something.

I Support ClubWRX
    Only way to know would be to use a multimeter. Just use an add-a fuse.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Use one of those 'add-a-fuse' dongles and tap that into the 'radio' fuse under the dash.

That's what's powering my V1 and Dash cam right now.

Something like this.
    2013 WRX Plasma Blue Pearl

I don't splice anything off of the radio. In fact, I did away with the radio ground all thgether and made my own 10 gauge ground for the radio. Although I probably care more about SQ than most.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.