Truck and hood weight?

This is a discussion on Truck and hood weight? within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Anybody know if there's actually a weight reduction benifet to getting, say, carbon fiber trunk and hood? Or are ours ...

Truck and hood weight?

Anybody know if there's actually a weight reduction benifet to getting, say, carbon fiber trunk and hood? Or are ours (08-13) light enough already so that it's basically just for looks?
    2013 WRX sedan - Cobb AP / Cobb SF (w/box) / Invidia N1 race / Invidia DP / Perrin BPV / GTspec equal length headers / TP tune

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    CF hoods are heavier than stock, CF trunks are lighter.. at least on 02-07 models.

I Support ClubWRX
    The earlier cars use Al up front though whereas the later cars reverted to steel -- because love is what makes a Subaru a Subaru or something, I'm unclear exactly why. So on my bugeye a plastic hood is pointless but newer cars may save a little weight (it's still pointless, but also more expensive and lighter).
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Another thing to consider is that is the area that gets the most rock chips. I was actually considering getting a CF hood eventually because my hood is so chipped up and it will cost me $600 to repaint the whole area. I would probably get a clear bra if I did...That being said, not a huge fan of the CF look. And also not keen on spending 700-800+ on a non-performance enhancing piece...I could see maybe if someone was mounting a FMIC and wanted to delete the hood scoop or something.

Quote Originally Posted by elblanco1987 View Post
    beni-fet

Is that Boba and Jangos cousin? hehe

but does weight really matter that much to you??? You can always wrap the hood and trunk to save money if you want that look.
    Marky Mark
    2002 Stage 2.3 PSM Bugeye tuned by Matty at WTFtuning
    Bugeye Mafia #397, High Mileage Club, WTF Tuning Intern
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography
    First Mods and other useful info!
    GM EBCS/ Hallman MBC Hybrid boost setup diagram

I could also paint a CF hood
    2013 WRX sedan - Cobb AP / Cobb SF (w/box) / Invidia N1 race / Invidia DP / Perrin BPV / GTspec equal length headers / TP tune