My custom trailer hitch

This is a discussion on My custom trailer hitch within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Going to buy two canoes tomorrow on a trailer and decided I'm tired of driving my gas guzzling Bronco to ...

My custom trailer hitch

Going to buy two canoes tomorrow on a trailer and decided I'm tired of driving my gas guzzling Bronco to get them. So I decided to use my wrx, I needed a trailer hitch and I didn't have time to order one and I didn't want one that was visible (at all) while I'm not using it. So this is what I did......

Taking measurements

Tacked up for test fitment

My dad welding it up (I can weld, just not as pretty).

Mounted

Receiver installed.

Finished job. Totally hidden, and when I need to put on a bike rack/ trailer I just pop the black fascia piece, hook up and roll!
    Last edited by MOTION; 04-09-2013 at 04:15 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Slick job, looks great!

Looks great, but every hitch I have installed also has a bracket that goes to part of the frame of the car. I have installed hitches on a Volvo C70, Mercedes C250, Mazda 3 and a coupe of others. I just wonder if the bumper alone is enough to handle the forces of dealing with the trailer weight bouncing around

Nicely done.

The Forester hitch that I installed replaces the rear bumper beam and has a couple of extensions that project into and bolt inside the frame rails. This strikes me as very similar in design approach, but without the extensions, so it will work for lighter trailers.

wow brilliant!!! If only this could be down on a hawkeye!
    2007 UGM STI: Vigilant Street series short block, ClutchMaster FX350 clutch w/ lightweight Flywheel, Invidia catless DP, Invidia N1 Race CBE, Grimspeed EBCS, Walbro 255 FP, BC Coils, AEM CAI, 8k lights, Driver Mod

nice work!
    Marky Mark
    2002 Stage 2.3 PSM Bugeye tuned by Matty at WTFtuning
    Bugeye Mafia #397, High Mileage Club, WTF Tuning Intern
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography
    First Mods and other useful info!
    GM EBCS/ Hallman MBC Hybrid boost setup diagram

Wow! very well done sir.

Pretty impressive job and I love the stealth look of it! Cause face it, most trailer hitches look out of place on a regular commuter car.

Funny that it's generally not recommended to tow anything with Imprezas though
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    do you have a picture of where it's actually attached? Like others have mentioned your crush bar might not be enough to handle the movement of a trailer. Plus I don't think our vehicles have much of a tow rating... maybe 500lbs??? Just want to make sure you don't hit a bump and your trailer with the canoes pass you on the right because you wouldn't get out of the fast lane!

It is actually attached thru the crush bar with (4) 3/8th grade 8 bolts on top and bottom with a piece of 1 inch flat bar on top to spread the surface area of the bolts. The most I'll be pulling with it would be about 500 pounds. I went and bought my canoes yesterday in Pensacola, Fla. Which was a 400 mile round trip (200 with canoes). Couldn't even feel the trailer behind me. Went down to about 21mpg but that's no biggie in my book.