Tail Lamp cracks - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Tail Lamp cracks within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; derrr wasnt in orange txt haha...

derrr wasnt in orange txt haha
    Marky Mark
    2002 Stage 2.3 PSM Bugeye tuned by Matty at WTFtuning
    Bugeye Mafia #397, High Mileage Club, WTF Tuning Intern
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography
    First Mods and other useful info!
    GM EBCS/ Hallman MBC Hybrid boost setup diagram

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Desolatemm View Post
    I also masked off the turn-signal and reverse sections of the tail lights and those also have cracks, what would they have to say about that!?
    I don't know. Go ask them.
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

I'll post a follow up this evening, planing on dropping by in a few hours.

sounds good let us know
    Marky Mark
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography

stopped by the dealer yesterday afternoon. I pointed out the cracks and explained the situation. Even though he said he was on my side, I found myself having to convince him that I was telling the truth. Not a good feeling IMO when you know, for a fact, that you right. Maybe I put that the wrong way. It was almost like HE was trying to convince ME that the paint caused the cracking. I constantly pointed out the area that I masked off. But the cracks on the painted section are more noticeable so I kept having to direct his attention to the non-painted area, where there are still cracks, but they are much harder to see. He took some pictures and said he would be talking with a Rep today and would let me know how it went and that they will probably want to inspect it and possible send in the lights to their engineering department.

The experience was all around okay, it just peeved me that the service guy was pretty convinced that they paint did it despite the un-painted areas were cracked.

Here are some pictures. You might be able to make out the cracks in the clear areas, I tried my best to capture it on camera and show where the cracks are solely on the clear area.

As far as the cause, i'm still at a loss... Imagine the tail lights without any paint on them. A lot of the cracking is at the plastic welded seem/wall between the LED lights and the turn signal compartment. I'm not entirely sure how these things are made, but It looks to have been heat formed on mold. Most of the cracks occur at the bends and weld bonds where the plastic might be under stress.

Anyway, we'll see what happens with it. I'm displeased with the fact that the tail lights have these cracks when the car is less than one year old. On the other hand, if the cracks to not grow to become worse and cause issues, I am okay with how they are now (I can live/drive with is). I would just rather be a satisfied customer than a dissatisfied one, I just hope Chaplin's and Subaru want to see me happy...

I'll say it again, it is really hard to make out some of the large cracks in the clear area with a camera.

oh wow. :/ best of luck!
    Marky Mark
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography

Thanks, It's much harder to notice any of the cracks from a car level view, such as someone behind me. but when you are up above (or below) like in these pictures it just stands out so damn bad!

I Support ClubWRX
    Did you use anything to clean the lenses? Like maybe brake fluid?
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I used water and windex... Everything was stored at 65 deg throughout the painting process as well...
    But that is beside the fact, the cracks were there before any of that process took place.
    Last edited by Desolatemm; 04-10-2013 at 02:25 PM.

I got a call from the dealership. They spoke to their rep. and the Subaru rep. decided to deny my claim based on the pictures he took. I'm going to continue my talk via Subaru of America directly.

So my claim is denied because I modified the tail lights in any way, even though the areas that were not painted/modified still display the same cracking.

My stance is that the modification that I performed did not result in the damage of the lens, so they have no reason to deny.

Their stance will probably be that my modification DID result in the damage (calling me a liar basically) and that the claim is still denied.

I send them pictures showing visible cracks in un/modified areas, they will hold their ground or we start the circle again. They could ask to see them in person, which I would be more than happy to do, the cracks are much easier to see in person anyway

On to the next level I suppose... *gloves on*

Crappy that they denied it...but look at it from their stand point: if it was really cracked before you painted it (not discounting your story, mind you) they'd simply say why didn't you bring it in BEFORE you decided to paint it?

Kinda like the kid in school who got caught with a cheat sheet, but didn't use it and still go that A on the test the honest way, what is the teacher going to believe?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

I appreciate the response, but the analogy doesn't make much sense. I know what the truth is and there is evidence to support it. They can say that the paint caused it, but they have no evidence to support that statement or any evidence to disprove my claim. This is not high-school, this is the real world where the customer should be #1, and making your customer out to be a liar is not the right way to go about it. I understand that people try to cheat their warranty left and right, but to make honest individuals suffer for it is wrong IMO.

Will update when I know more after talking with Subaru directly.

I have to say if it was cracked, you shouldn't have painted it.
    2012 DGM 5 DOOR WRX
    Mods: Stage 2+
    "I live my life a twelve year old at a time. For those ten seconds or less, I'm free."
    Official ClubWRX Creeper

you should have plasti dipped it lol

Quote Originally Posted by maus View Post
    I have to say if it was cracked, you shouldn't have painted it.
    I second this statement. You don't have proof the paint didn't cause it, since you don't have before paint pics.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12