[Headlight Question] Welp, I messed up.

This is a discussion on [Headlight Question] Welp, I messed up. within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So, recently I purchased that 3M Headlight Restoration kit. I tried it on the driver's side headlight, and followed the ...

[Headlight Question] Welp, I messed up.

So, recently I purchased that 3M Headlight Restoration kit. I tried it on the driver's side headlight, and followed the instruction precisely. After I was done, there were still swirl marks and scratches and now the headlight looks slightly foggy. I tried using Meguire's PlasticX and that did next to nothing.

So... I'm wondering if using the same polish one would use on their car's paint would work in at least getting the headlight to the point where the cloudyness is gone. Any ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

You most likely didn't sand enough with the finer sandpaper that comes with the kit. I've used the kit on several pairs of headlights and all have come out great. Go to harbor freight and buy a bulk pack of wet sanding paper and go to town with the finest one, and then polish it out with the pad and cutting compound.

Hmmm... That would make a lot of sense. I'll give that a try today. Thank you! I'll come back here with pics if it still doesn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by JSS829 View Post
    You most likely didn't sand enough with the finer sandpaper that comes with the kit. I've used the kit on several pairs of headlights and all have come out great. Go to harbor freight and buy a bulk pack of wet sanding paper and go to town with the finest one, and then polish it out with the pad and cutting compound.
    Exactly what I was going to say...wet sanding and polishing compound is all you really need.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I also wanted to add as an FYI that since you're taking off whats left of the factory coating, you'll have to keep up with the headlights a bit more as the plastic will start to cloud up more. You can always shoot them with come cleat coat if you're comfortable with that. Otherwise, keep some sandpaper and rubbing compound on hand.

I Support ClubWRX
    Your year old car's headlight needed restoring?
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    My thoughts....

Well, kinda... Lots of dings from the road from wind storms kicking up rocks like you wouldn't believe. I was also more experimenting, and wasn't entirely educated on the UV coating and what-not until after the fact.

OH WELL. I fixed it today. No worries. It also gave me an excuse to vacuum and clean my car. I don't mind keeping up on it. It gives me something to do!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    my red 11s headlights are gross...

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

hmm i used the meguairs kit for my car and was very happy with it, glad ya got it fixed though
    Marky Mark
    2002 Stage 2.3 PSM Bugeye tuned by Matty at WTFtuning
    Bugeye Mafia #397, High Mileage Club, WTF Tuning Intern
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography
    First Mods and other useful info!
    GM EBCS/ Hallman MBC Hybrid boost setup diagram