Should i stick with a stock hood here?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Should i stick with a stock hood here? within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok gents so about 40 days ago my Bugeye WRX got smashed thanks to a tourist who ran a redlight. ...

Should i stick with a stock hood here?

Ok gents so about 40 days ago my Bugeye WRX got smashed thanks to a tourist who ran a redlight. Now i need to replace my hood. The insurance company has allotted $450 for me to get a new one. I'm working on making that a bigger number but am writing this assuming that they will like all insurance companies basically do all they can to screw me.

So here are my options and a few thoughts

*I had a fiberglass customized hood as you can see in the pic below. Really like having the top vents since i know my motor can use all the cooling it can get.
    *I dont really need the stock hood scoop since i have a FMIC, this is more of my own opinion but i could be wrong.
    *I dont want to go back to stock steel if i can avoid it. Seems like not only will i get heavier (marginally granted) and hotter under the hood.
    *I would love carbon fiber but cant find anything CLOSE to $450 that i've been quoted.
    *I dont mind fiberglass but cant really find any online.

What would you do? Im really looking for direction here. Is there a hidden gem of an online shop that im missing?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    The stock WRX hood is made of aluminum, not steel.. and it is lighter than any aftermarket hood I have seen (including the carbon fiber options). I would stick with stock personally. If you want to get rid of the scoop then maybe look into a scoop delete.

Stock hood are aluminum. And unless you were really pushing the car I doubt underhood temps would affect much.

Ahhh, everything i have seen in online stores says its steel. Thanks for the FYI. Great to know.

The hood for the base model Impreza (2.5 RS) is steel.

Did you mutilate your license plate?
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

Haha, previous owner, not me. Dont drive with that anymore, and didnt do that to mine once i bought it. That pic is from the day she was bought. Also does the same rule apply to the trunk? Is that also lighter than the cf alternative? What about the doors? Fenders?

No, a good CF trunk is considerably lighter than the stock trunk.. the stock trunk actually is steel, not aluminum. You can also save weight there by doing away with the springs and using magnets instead.

I would guess CF doors are lighter too.. but they cost like $2300 a piece, so I don't know anyone that actually uses them.

Magnets? To keep the trunk lid open i'm assuming? Since the WRX is at the shop i cant go out and look under there....Either way magnets is a cool idea for anything IMO.

My original idea was lighten up the front as much as possible since thats where the weight is but i like the look of the CF trunk and lighter is better right?

Agreed on the doors, couldnt believe the prices.

Yeah, these cars really plow with the front end. There's not a lot you can do short of removing the front bumper beam, which isn't exactly safe. The design of the car is the problem, the engine sits so far forward it's impossible to achieve decent weight distribution. That's the main reason Subaru was no longer competitive and withdrew from WRC.

One thing you can do to help is relocate your battery from the engine compartment to the trunk.. I'm going to be doing that after I get my car back, but it's only a small change.

I would love to relocate my dumb battery to the trunk...but not for weight saving...for ease of changing a headlight!
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

Quote Originally Posted by lytlec View Post
    I would love to relocate my dumb battery to the trunk...but not for weight saving...for ease of changing a headlight!

Not to mention the fact that an engine compartment is practically the worst environment for a battery. Heat, drastic temperature changes, and vibration are all hell on batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    Not to mention the fact that an engine compartment is practically the worst environment for a battery. Heat, drastic temperature changes, and vibration are all hell on batteries.
    I hope you make a thread about this so I can see how it's done.
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

I Support ClubWRX
    It has been alluded to already, but with a FMIC, the hood scoop is actually better to get rid of.

Agree with Lytlec, a thread on battery relocation would be cool. to the topic though, So get a stock hood, delete the scoop and replace with cowl induction or something similar is what i'm hearing basically.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast