2013 wrx paint problem? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2013 wrx paint problem? within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; The funny thing is, Subaru is always advertising how they are such great vehicles for winter. You'd think the paint ...

The funny thing is, Subaru is always advertising how they are such great vehicles for winter. You'd think the paint would be much more durable considering that.

I have just over 12k miles on mine and of course it looks like ****. I do have RA flaps but still have some small chips on the sides and the 3M is all beat up on the rear doors.
    2012 WRX ice silver metallic
    Protuned by Agile Auto 315whp/342wtq @ 20.5psi

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

1500 miles.
    2013 WRX Hatch, SPW.
    Front bumper has several noticeable chips.
    Driver side door has bunch of little specs on it, feels like sand when I run my hand through it.
    It's not noticeable from like 5 yards, but if you get up and close you can see it, especially because my car is white.
    3m on rear doors are pretty bad already too.

I considered putting a clear bra on it, but after researching, its not a great idea for a light colored car.

Really sad about the paint especially because my car is brand new.
    Oh, I also live in Sunny SoCal where the roads/weather is comparably nice.
    Really not sure what to do about this, except ride it out and maybe get repaint later down the line.

Edit* Add:
    Someone suggested using Clay Wax to get the little sand feel specs off. Will try next week.
    Last edited by Romp; 03-21-2013 at 07:36 PM.

WOW, not a WRX owner as of yet ... but reading some of these paint issues scares me more than a little. I currently own 2 black vehicles (one of them is 23 years old) and it sounds like your 2013's have worse looking paint than it does. I have a car bra on the other ... a '98 4 Runner Limited, and the paint on it looks brand new, but then again it doesn't see winters, and very rarely sees rain.

My 13 DGM sedan I bought in January has the normal stone chips, well a week ago before I went in to the dealer for an oil change I saw where the driver fender meets the bumper, a centimeter long strip by about an eighth inch wide from the side around the corner on the metal of the fender, the paint is gone. I have very good relations with this dealer and I like everyone there. So I picked up a dozen dunkin donuts and went in, talked to my salesmen about it for a bit, went up to the service manager, told him I got donuts lol he got excited then I brought up the paint.

He told me no worries, just call him in a couple weeks and bring it back so they can send it to the body shop to have it fixed and all the other spots touched up.

I'm going to have the whole front end clear bra'd. Fenders, bumper and hood. Then I'm getting mudflaps for sure.

Do you have stock wheels on the car? Reason I'm asking is if you put wider wheels on the car the tires stick out side the bottom of the fender and it will throw crap all over the side of the car unles you have mud flaps.

Quote Originally Posted by CHOPS View Post
    WOW, not a WRX owner as of yet ... but reading some of these paint issues scares me more than a little. I currently own 2 black vehicles (one of them is 23 years old) and it sounds like your 2013's have worse looking paint than it does. I have a car bra on the other ... a '98 4 Runner Limited, and the paint on it looks brand new, but then again it doesn't see winters, and very rarely sees rain.
    I also have a 98 4Runner that we purchased new in 1998...the paint on it is superior compared to Subaru paint. My 2003 WRX held up pretty good (had a clear bra on it), but my 2013 is unbelievably prone to chipping (particularly the bumper). I specifically bought a lighter color knowing about the paint issue...silver hides them pretty well. I am an avid detailer on my own cars and have come to terms with the fragile paint. I have had clear bras on the last 3 cars we have owned (Audi A4, Acura MDX, and my old WRX), but I figured I would need to do the bumper, complete hood, fenders, etc...to be as protected as possible. I am going to be putting on about 20K miles/year so I opted not to as I will probably not keep this car as long as I kept my 2003.
    Ray
    2013 WRX Limited ISM
    2003 WRX Wagon (sold)
    2013 BMW X5 Diesel

I Support ClubWRX
    My car did the exact same thing.. Dealer told me to go blow it out of my ass; so I painted it myself. I have a clear bra so the paint looks cherry but I got that missing paint issue where the fender and bumper meet.
    Panel gap's and why they can be awesome.
    Drive Hard, Stay Driven..

I have a bunch of random micro scratches on my DGM sedan from debris its sad shes barely a year old
    2012 DGM WRX - Stage Two 93 - Stink Eye Mob #908
    The Epic Life of Emily the WRX

Mine is a '13 sedan in obsidian black pearl. I've had it since October, no mud flaps, and have driven through a lot of the awful slush/sand/salt mix that we often get here in northern MN and the paint on the sides has held up remarkably well. I was really concerned b/c its not uncommon for the entire length of the car including the lower parts of my windows to streaked to oblivion with the dried salt with small deposits of sand. The spring here has been slow coming so it still is experiencing a lot of mud splash that streaks both front doors and the rear wheel well flair. I washed it today and was actually surprised how well it held up. I'm thinking maybe there is something wrong with yours based on what you've reported vs what i've experienced. Good luck with the dealer! I hope they dont cop out.

I have a bunch of chips on the front bumper of my car... but no other issues after blasting around a dry lake bed. Currently at 3k miles.

2013 WRX Plasma Blue Pearl

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	8.5 KB 
ID:	114145

This is one of the chipped spots that I have on my hood all the way to the front, I have three of these, and all are about the same size, the paint is terrible, how do I fix this without going to a body shop?? One of them is starting to rust already.
    JOE
    2013 WRX DGM
    Stink Eye Mob #82

Quote Originally Posted by jsantos1082 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	8.5 KB 
ID:	114145

This is one of the chipped spots that I have on my hood all the way to the front, I have three of these, and all are about the same size, the paint is terrible, how do I fix this without going to a body shop?? One of them is starting to rust already.
    I had something like that on 13 pbp wrx and I used dr color chip it matches the paint pretty well but it not as flush to the rest of the paint if you look closely

Quote Originally Posted by jling0311 View Post
    I had something like that on 13 pbp wrx and I used dr color chip it matches the paint pretty well but it not as flush to the rest of the paint if you look closely
    Yeah I bought that I still haven't applied it yet coz the weather hasn't been good. How big we're ur scratches or chips?
    JOE
    2013 WRX DGM
    Stink Eye Mob #82

Hopefully the paint is something that will be fixed on the 2014 models.

Quote Originally Posted by jcr557 View Post
    Hopefully the paint is something that will be fixed on the 2014 models.
    I wouldn't hold my breath haha.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.