Wheel spacers vs. Larger wheel width

This is a discussion on Wheel spacers vs. Larger wheel width within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys, I recently purchased an '08 WRX and would like to get new wheels and tires eventually. Until then ...

Wheel spacers vs. Larger wheel width

Hey guys,

I recently purchased an '08 WRX and would like to get new wheels and tires eventually. Until then I am considering getting wheel spacers to make the wheels more plush with the fenders to give it more of an aggressive look. I have read some threads about how not to use spacers because they cause problems. What do you all think? If spacers are not recommended, what wheel width should I go with to make them more plush to the fenders? Any input is greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Wheel spacers have their purpose. They are frequently used in racing applications and to some extent the street. You can buy the more expensive bolt on ones, or the loose floating ones. The loose floating ones depending on the wheel may require longer wheel studs. You have to be careful in how you affect the vehicles handling. Changing the track width or its relationship (different size spacers front and rear) can cause handling issues. Virtually no OEM is gonna recommend you run them, itll be on you.

Whats more, I recommend the bolt on spacers but they are often the same price as a set of wheels. The loose floating ones are cheaper but more dangerous as most people tend to cut corners (dont install longer studs) and not keep an eye on them (wheels may loosen).

There are also issues on some cars with Hubcentric vs lugcentric wheels. Not sure which your OEM wheels are.

How thick of a spacer you thinking? All 4 wheels?

FWIW in the long long ago I ran a small spacer in the rear of my old car to help the handling, 10mm or so IIRC, until I bought my custom offset wheels. I found out most the info above, the hard way.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

^^this and the word youre looking for is "flush"
    unless u want plush wheels, not sure how well theyd hold up on the road.
    Marky Mark
    2002 Stage 2.3 PSM Bugeye tuned by Matty at WTFtuning
    Bugeye Mafia #397, High Mileage Club, WTF Tuning Intern
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography
    First Mods and other useful info!
    GM EBCS/ Hallman MBC Hybrid boost setup diagram

Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    Wheel spacers have their purpose. They are frequently used in racing applications and to some extent the street. You can buy the more expensive bolt on ones, or the loose floating ones. The loose floating ones depending on the wheel may require longer wheel studs. You have to be careful in how you affect the vehicles handling. Changing the track width or its relationship (different size spacers front and rear) can cause handling issues. Virtually no OEM is gonna recommend you run them, itll be on you.

Whats more, I recommend the bolt on spacers but they are often the same price as a set of wheels. The loose floating ones are cheaper but more dangerous as most people tend to cut corners (dont install longer studs) and not keep an eye on them (wheels may loosen).

There are also issues on some cars with Hubcentric vs lugcentric wheels. Not sure which your OEM wheels are.

How thick of a spacer you thinking? All 4 wheels?

FWIW in the long long ago I ran a small spacer in the rear of my old car to help the handling, 10mm or so IIRC, until I bought my custom offset wheels. I found out most the info above, the hard way.

What do you think about these? I am thinkin a 20 to 25 MM on the front and rear. Do you know the wheel width I should get to have the same effect, by chance?

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.sparktecmotorsports.com/eib-90-6-20-034-4.html?utm_source=googlepepla&utm_medium=adwords&i d=20861070197&utm_content=pla

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by damantis View Post
    What do you think about these? I am thinkin a 20 to 25 MM on the front and rear. Do you know the wheel width I should get to have the same effect, by chance?

- - - Updated - - -

Eibach Pro-Spacer Wheel Spacers 2008-2008 Subaru WRX 4 & 5-door 2.5L Turbo H4 Exc. STi - Part Number: 90.6.20.034.4 - Sparktec Motorsports - Pro-Spacer Kit
    Those are a bolt on type spacer made by a reputable company and warranted. If I was gonna use that wide of a spacer those are the ones I'd use.

As far as the width of the spacer, measure carefully and make sure you don't rub. 25mm = 1 ".

The width of the wheel is less of an issue than the offset. The wheel offset is what you want to tailor to your car.

Wheel Tech - Offset

Depending on the offset you choose, your wheel widths may be limited.

On the wrx you want to maintain the same tire size front and rear no matter what you do.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE