Red tail lights - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Red tail lights within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by hatchaintwack i love the paint don't get me wrong, it even seems to have a darker shade ...

Quote Originally Posted by hatchaintwack View Post
    i love the paint don't get me wrong, it even seems to have a darker shade to it which i definitely like. But the overlays aren't permanent and seem easier. If i wanna switch things up later on ill peel em off and try out paint so i don't blow $35 on new overlays
    I'm pretty sure you can remove the paint very easily too. Search around the DIY's.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by MercRising View Post
    C'mon...10 minutes?!? First ever vinyl experience??

I just could not get the main feature on the outside hatch lens to take.

They must not be too bad but, still harder than paint in my personal opinion.

Both look great for sure.

Here's my paint job from last week.

I used thin width electrical tape for the main edge masking. It allowed me to make the curve masking border with only a little slicing on the inside of the bends to reduce deformation of the tape. Worked like a charm.
    Yes really. Less than ten minutes. Not first vinyl experience, but very, very easy. I only had to do a small white strip though because I have an 11 sedan.

Haha thats why. I was gonna say it took me prob 45 min and i still screwed up on my hatch. Going to paint instead i think

check out crux motorsports for overlays....i just ordered some about 30 mins ago lol.
    Marky Mark
    2002 Stage 2.3 PSM Bugeye tuned by Matty at WTFtuning
    Bugeye Mafia #397, High Mileage Club, WTF Tuning Intern
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography
    First Mods and other useful info!
    GM EBCS/ Hallman MBC Hybrid boost setup diagram

I painted mine with VHT Red Night Shades. I like them on my DGM because you can make them darker than overlays so it blends with the tones of the car. It was very easy. I would highly recommend using SprayMax 2k clear coat over any other clear coat though. It is a true 2-part urethane mix in a rattlecan that is tougher than anything else on the market. SprayMax is as close to professional you can get with a rattle-can.

Its a trade off though. Do you want to be able to easily remove the paint in the future for re-paints if they are ever damaged/chipped. Or do you want to have the most durable clear coat from the start to avoid any damage/chips, but it would be a PITA to take off if you ever wanted to.

Wow the crux oversports overlays are the cheapest ive seen so far, maybe ill give overlays another shot before painting. Will order 2 sets, because you know, just in case

Just had mine professionally painted. So much better in all aspects if you are a neat freak like me!

Quote Originally Posted by Mammal View Post
    Just had mine professionally painted. So much better in all aspects if you are a neat freak like me!
    Mind sharing what you spent?

I had mine painted by a bodyshop, did a great job and it only cost $100
    2012 DGM 5 DOOR WRX
    Mods: Stage 2+
    "I live my life a twelve year old at a time. For those ten seconds or less, I'm free."
    Official ClubWRX Creeper

I'm very surprised no one has come out w/ a complete light assembly. Coming from BMW's, OE "clears" or the ambers were very easy to source.

However, I guess that could be because the lights had different restrictions depending on the cars were being shipped.

about 100 bucks or so. I am good friends with my body guy and he worked a package deal with me on some other work as well. At least I don't have to worry about them looking like crap a few years down the road because they will hold up for the life of the car. You get what you pay for! lol

I'd pay a hundo or two for a good job.. Will have to reach out locally. Thanks

No problem!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12