Broken Sun Roof, Glass Repair?

This is a discussion on Broken Sun Roof, Glass Repair? within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I was merging onto a highway and suddenly I hear a loud bang! and all the glass from my ...

Broken Sun Roof, Glass Repair?

So I was merging onto a highway and suddenly I hear a loud bang! and all the glass from my sunroof comes showering into the interior of my car. The glass was fully closed, the interior liner was pulled open though. Anyhow I turned around and drove home. Pulled into my garage and cleaned my car thoroughly. Then I started making calls, long story short I only found replacement glass from Subaru $666.35 for it. An auto glass repair shop quoted me $150, 2hrs labour, the dealership wanted $270, 2 hrs labour for install. Neither would guarantee mechanical warranty for me, ie glass getting into the track or other moving part problems. I have the replacement from subaru at home now, and its the whole metal surround, 4 brackets for bolts on it. Im pretty mechanically inclined, Im comfortable doing bolt ons and oil changes lol. Does anyone know the difficulty in installing this? It looks simple but is there any tips i should know? Thx for any help Oh i have a 2011 wrx hb lol

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm more curious how the glass broke in the first place. I've never heard of that happening before.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

They're not too difficult to replace. Basically you just remove the head liner and pull a few parts out to install it. As for tips, you need to really grease the track very well, but other than that it's pretty straightforward.

As for why it broke, I'd expect you had something drop on it and put a ding in it similar to a windshield ding. Since the sunroof is like the rear windshield in that it doesn't have any plastic on it for structural strength, all it took was a change in temp or a flex of the body of the car to pop the whole thing.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Im pretty sure it was a just a rock hitting it. When I was calling around to auto glass shops and ordering the part I discovered it was more common than i thought.

Idk, Hyundai just had a major recall on all sunroof equipped cars from 2012 onward. Something about a manufacturing defect that causes them to randomly shatter. I would definitely try and get that under warranty, a stone shouldn't just blow it out like that, especially when closed.

Edit: if the glass place said it common, that could be it. Still sucks, and I doubt it would be that difficult.
    '11 WRX DGM