How to Disable DRL's
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on How to Disable DRL's within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok.... Before I get blasted for bringing up old topics...I am a total newb to Subaru and how they work. ...

I Support ClubWRX

How to Disable DRL's

Ok....

Before I get blasted for bringing up old topics...I am a total newb to Subaru and how they work.

I have posted on here already about my lights and what I intend to do...

So....I will have my lights tomorrow. They are coming from LIGHTWERKZ.

On Friday morning, my car will go to a shop. The front bumper will come off. I will have them swap out the headlight assembly.

I WANT TO DISABLE MY DRL's. PLEASE...I dont need a bunch of peeps telling me they are safe...that they lower accidents...yadda yadda yadda...

My headlight assemblies from LIGHTWERKZ will have LED HALO rings. I dont want the DRL's on at the same time...EVER. I hate the stupid DRL's anyways. PLUS....my HALO rings are LED and will be much more brighter and noticeable than that ugly yellowy DRL crap. (HALOGEN SUCKS BALLZ)

What is the way to accomplish this. I have a 2009 WRX Sedan. I have read about the "glovebox" way...and the "air intake" way. I am pretty confused by all the varying results. ABS...traction control...various other system lights coming on in the dash. I dont want any lights coming on. There must be a way to diable these lights without upsetting the functions of the car. I find it hard to believe these lights are in control of so many functions of my car.??????

PLease...any help will be good. I will be able to tell the shop exactly what I want done and how. If it was as easy as taking away the bulb...I would...but I want to retain my HALOGEN High Beam functionality. I have read some guys have managed to get this result...with no dash lights..no problems.

Any input anyone? Experiences? Knowledge? I phoned Subaru and they would NOT tell me anything. They kept asking why...and then proceeded to tell me LED Halo rings will burn my projector shrouds!! WTF!!! What a load of crap. Never heard of that happening. I cannot be the first guy to buy retrofitted HID and halo rings for an 09 WRX???!!! REALLY???!!!!

I just want to know what I need to tell the guys at the shop to do for me when they swap assemblies. The bumper will be off...so it will be easy to access anywhere in that area.

Any HELP will be appreciated. PLEASE...no speeches or telling me about how DRL's save lives and all that negative crap that this thread may bring. If you think I am stupid...then just keep it to yourself.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

All you need to do it remove the air box and disconnect the DRL relay underneath. I sealed mine up with electrical tape to keep water/dirt from corroding the connectors should I choose to reconnect in the future.

I Support ClubWRX
    ^This. It takes about 3 minutes.
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

I Support ClubWRX
    Well if his front bumper is off already he doesn't need to remove the airbox. There are two plugs under ur airbox unplug them and use electricole tape on the plugs so water and such do not touch the exposed plugs.

2013 WRX Plasma Blue Pearl

I Support ClubWRX
    How much did the angel eyes cost you? Did you have them do anything else to the headlights?

Quote Originally Posted by chutoyy View Post
    chutoyy pics here
    He drives a 2009, that "vent" doesn't exist.
    Last edited by mcdbrendan; 02-25-2013 at 03:12 PM.

Checked the wiring diagrams just a few days ago. There is a resistor pack (I presume under the air box, though I have FMIC, i.e. no airbox...) that seems to be the best solution, just as stated above. This seems to break the DRLS circuit and that circuit only. The hi-beams and flashing still works as usual it seems since that feeds the lights directly, bypassing the resistor pack anyways.
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

Some cars allow DRL to be turned off inside the car. This would be a nice feature. DRL are an unnecessary idea propagated by those who wish to over regulate every aspect of society. The sun is one hell of a DRL. If you can't see my car during the day, do us all a favor and stay off the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Callahan View Post
    Some cars allow DRL to be turned off inside the car. This would be a nice feature. DRL are an unnecessary idea propagated by those who wish to over regulate every aspect of society. The sun is one hell of a DRL. If you can't see my car during the day, do us all a favor and stay off the road.
    An unnecessary idea? While I have mine disabled for cosmetic reasons, multiple studies have shown they help reduce day time accidents. Not a single state in the US requires DRLs either, unlike Canada and many parts of Europe. Subaru puts them on every car because they believe - and have statistics to enforce - that they make cars safer.

I Support ClubWRX
    I see this heading in a bad direction. Just remember to stay on topic fellas That being how to turn them off not if they are a unnecessary piece of equipment.
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

I Support ClubWRX
    Thanks for the replies guys. You guys are just great.

McBrendan...thanks for your concerns...however, I am replacing the DRL with a LED HALO. So...in a way...I am making an improvement.

Anyways...I have enough info to go with. Thanks for all the quick chime ins guys. I am glad I signed up to this forum!

As for the angel eyes...i cant recall the price...LIGHTWERKZ prices are all listed on the website. Caesar is a great guy and I did also have them remove the amber inserts and I went with a Stage 2 TSX retrofit kit with clear lenses. I also got maatsuu****a ballasts with Philips D2S bulbs (4300k with 35W). The ballast fits nicely on to the headlight assembly. I ordered brand new OEM halogen assemblies from Subaru and had LIGHTWERKZ retro them. The maatsuu****a is what is used at the factory when they build STI's anyways. The STI optics are actually not that good...so that is why I went with a TSX retrofit kit as opposed to STI assemblies.

Thanks again! Will be posting pics real soon! Lights and Hella Supertones!

mine are nicely wired with a switch but on an 02 so im no help :/ but make a write up of how you do it and pics of your new lights!
    Marky Mark
    2002 Stage 2.3 PSM Bugeye tuned by Matty at WTFtuning
    Bugeye Mafia #397, High Mileage Club, WTF Tuning Intern
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography
    First Mods and other useful info!
    GM EBCS/ Hallman MBC Hybrid boost setup diagram

Just throwing this out there as an fyi, I'm not sure if this will be of any help to you. But if you bring the e brake up JUST one click it will disable the daytime running lamps. The trick is getting it just barely up so that the brake itself doesn't engage.

I Support ClubWRX
    Well...

I have just had my car done at a shop that I trust.

While doing other work, had em disable the DRL circuit via that box thingy behind the bumper cover. Thanks for the info CHUTOYY!

Wicked board this is!!!! Thanks for all the replies.

Anyways...it worked like a charm. Just disconnected it and my car is just the way it was beforehand. High beams still work.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.