HID question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on HID question within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I love my car so far I just wish it had HIDs. I tried the Sylvania Ultra POSes and ...

I Support ClubWRX

HID question

So I love my car so far I just wish it had HIDs. I tried the Sylvania Ultra POSes and they were really no better than stock. I have been looking at HID conversion kits on eBay and there is such a wide price gap I cant help but think some are just junk. Can someone recommend a good brand? What do all the different numbers mean? Thanks - G
    - 2013 Silver WRX Stage 2 Hatch - SPT and Cobb upgrades, Thule Snowboard racks
    - 2012 Dodge Charger R/T
    - 1988 ASC McLaren Mustang

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    If your car didn't come from the factory with HIDs, you need to do a proper retrofit, which will cost $400+
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

This is a very insightful article on why you should never put HID lights in housings that were designed for halogen bulbs.

Not only do you blind oncoming drivers, in all actuality, your night vision decreases.
    This is my first Subaru, but it isn't my last.

if you have a 2013 wrx, check these out. anyone who knows about projectors knows these guys know their stuff. And dont be afraid to ask questions.

Morimoto Retro-Quik System - Complete Retrofit Kits from The Retrofit Source Inc

As previously posted, you need a complete retrofit including projectors.

Quote Originally Posted by 90crxfreak View Post
    if you have a 2013 wrx, check these out. anyone who knows about projectors knows these guys know their stuff. And dont be afraid to ask questions.

Morimoto Retro-Quik System - Complete Retrofit Kits from The Retrofit Source Inc
    I only see an option for an '08-'11 Impreza but nothing for a '13...
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 90crxfreak View Post

This is exactly what I was looking for. Reps!!!
    - 2012 Dodge Charger R/T

I did a retrofit with sti projectors. direct bolt on and plug and play. I like just for the fact that it is oem parts.
    2012 SWP 5door Premium!!!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny1106 View Post
    I did a retrofit with sti projectors. direct bolt on and plug and play. I like just for the fact that it is oem parts.
    That is ideal. Do you mind me asking what it totaled? Did you junk yard it? I would love to do this but I dont know what I would need.
    - 2012 Dodge Charger R/T

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny1106 View Post
    That is ideal. Do you mind me asking what it totaled? Did you junk yard it? I would love to do this but I dont know what I would need.
    - 2012 Dodge Charger R/T

I bought a whole new set of take off lights from someone. Then bought the ballasts, bulbs, projectors, and wiring harness from someone else. Total was probably around 700. All you really needs is the ballasts bulbs projectors wiring harness. I went overkill and spent probably around 6-700.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

O I also bought sti backings with leveling motors, which was a waste of money because I never used them.

I really dont think the STI projectors are the best ones out there but is by far better than the halogen projectors. You can also just buy all new sti lights at the dealer, ebay, or on the forums, that way you dont have to bake the lights. Pricey though, if you do it that way. If you were to buy the whole sti light at dealer its probably $8-900 per light.

everyone here is going to hate me... just scored a set of '13 headlights wrx limited/sti for $150 shipped on ebay. they came with everything!

BUT! all the brackets were broke. lol so, time to learn how to crack the lights open.

I Support ClubWRX
    I also wanted STI assemblies originally. Subaru quoted me $900 per side. WOW!

Anyways...this is the result of retrofitted Halogen assemblies...using TSX Clear lens projectors...and I also bought OEM Matsusheeta ballasts and Philips bulbs. The same equipment used on the Subaru production line with superior projectors! The only thing extra is the LED Halo rings. That was something I wanted. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0613.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	86.9 KB 
ID:	112389

I Support ClubWRX
    ^^Nice work!
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast