Is my bumper repainted? Or is Subaru's paint really this bad?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Is my bumper repainted? Or is Subaru's paint really this bad? within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Please see attached. Is this really how the Rally Blue bumper paint is from the factory? It almost looks like ...

Is my bumper repainted? Or is Subaru's paint really this bad?

Please see attached. Is this really how the Rally Blue bumper paint is from the factory? It almost looks like there's hardly any clear coat on it. The paint on the metal-side (rear quarter panel) looks nice and reflective but the paint on the rear bumper looks washed out, feels thin and "anemic". See the part where the bumper meets the quarter panel. The house in the background looks detailed on the quarter panel but blurry on the bumper. I bought the car new with 8 miles on it. It doesn't look like it was repainted though... The other plastic parts of the car - spoiler, front bumper looks washed out too but not as bad. I tried waxing but it didn't do anything.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	64.1 KB 
ID:	112152

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Did you buy the car brand new? If so then I would say yup...That is the classic orange peel ridden factory paint job.

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    Did you buy the car brand new? If so then I would say yup...That is the classic orange peel ridden factory paint job.
    Yep. Car is brand new. As long as it's normal then I'm ok with it. I just want to be sure that it's not a defect or that it was not repainted by the dealer. (sometimes they do that when they scratch the car at the lot)

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah...Can't be positive if that happened or not, but the factory paint is definitely not great. Common theme in a lot of posts here. Just wait till you get some miles on it!

Would adding more clearcoat help? To me, it just feels like the paint lacks more clearcoat.

Call SOA directly, the dealer wont fix it because they have to front the money then get paid by SOA if SOA thinks they should pay. If SOA decides not to pay the dealer is SOL and they lose money... because of this the dealer will not fix it. But if you call SOA directly send them pictures then you skip the dealer and have a better chance of fixing the paint.
    2009 WRX - Catted DP, Torqued performance stage 2
    2011 Sportwagon TDi
    1970 Chevy Impala Convertible 454

Quote Originally Posted by wrx1234 View Post
    Call SOA directly, the dealer wont fix it because they have to front the money then get paid by SOA if SOA thinks they should pay. If SOA decides not to pay the dealer is SOL and they lose money... because of this the dealer will not fix it. But if you call SOA directly send them pictures then you skip the dealer and have a better chance of fixing the paint.
    Good suggestion. I'll do that. From your experience though, is this kind of crappy paint typical of subarus?
    Last edited by Betlog; 02-24-2013 at 07:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wrx1234 View Post
    Good suggestion. I'll do that. From your experience though, is this kind of crappy paint typical of subarus?

Just got back from the dealer to see if their car in the lot had the same problem. It looks like it has a similar issue to mine, maybe not as bad, but that could be a factor of the lighting.

I have a 2012 sedan and my car is not nearly as bad as that... Every car is going to have some sort of orange peal in the clear but that to me looks more like the clear on the bumper died back, almost like a defect from the factory, I paint cars for a living and any decent painter at a body shop could fix that no problem just would have to reclear the entire bumper. Ive seen that problem in a lot of shops that use cheap clear it tends to fade like that and not leave a nice shine, but its odd that youd get that like that from the factory either way id agree with the previous posts to try to get soa to pay for it

I'm having an issue with my 2013 i started a post on here called 1400 miles paint is sandblasted take a look and you can see there are alot of issues with paint and clear coat. I know someone said to bypass the dealer you can no longer do that they have to start the claim. I'm going through this right now . I should here something this week.

My white 2010 has the same problem. You can tell a huge difference in any plastic part compared to metal part on the car. Sucks!
    2010 Subaru Impreza WRX Hatch
    Mods : Yakima Roof Rack, Perrin catted DP, Perrin CAI, Perrin shifter bushings, Perrin AP stage 2, Ebay/Custom 3" cat back, carbon Subaru emblems, blacked out tail lights, Cobb STS, Raceland Coilovers

It is a different paint process for the plastic parts on a car than the metal. You can see a color difference in them on any vehicle it just seems to more on subaru. My 2012 legacy has a slight darker shade on the plastic than the metal. Look at any vehicle with the plastic bumper covers and uou wi ll se it.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.