Backup camera install?

This is a discussion on Backup camera install? within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I've purchased the pioneer avh x5500bhs and I'm trying to install a backup camera. The camera has the RCA cable ...

Backup camera install?

I've purchased the pioneer avh x5500bhs and I'm trying to install a backup camera.

The camera has the RCA cable attached and there is another cable that has a red wire and black wire.

I understand the RCA connects to the back of the head unit (R/C IN). I'm having issues with the red and black cable. I connected then to the reverse light but when I tried turning the car into reverse nothing shows up. I can switch into the camera manually either.

Any one have any ideas?

Thanks!
    Subaru WRX 2011 Spark Silver Metallic

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Turns out you have to change the polarity in the HU settings.

However.. it doesn't work the way I wanted it to..

It doesn't automatically switch to camera when in reverse.. I have to manually turn the camera on in order for it to switch to rear camera..

Any ideas?

What do the instructions for the camera say?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

no real instructions included. it was a single page that just said to connect the the RCA cable to the head unit and connect the other wires to power.

it was one of those inexpensive cameras off of ebay.. image is plenty enough for me to see behind the car.

You seemed to be missing a step.. on the Pioneer head unit there is an orange cable that receives the Reverse signal to automatically switch the screen to rear view camera mode