Front end damage, what kinda work am inlooking at......
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Front end damage, what kinda work am inlooking at...... within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Picture here https://picasaweb.google.com/1002896...97495962577058 I have a metal shop, can cut, weld, yadda yadda, other guy was at fault but if ...

Front end damage, what kinda work am inlooking at......

Picture here https://picasaweb.google.com/1002896...97495962577058
    I have a metal shop, can cut, weld, yadda yadda, other guy was at fault but if its totalled out which I fully expect, what am I looking at? Any help is appreciated... thanks guys

No serious engine damage, drove it home easily, needs a new intercooler pipe....

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

body panels and frame at least...plus paint...looking at $5k easily if done by a shop...
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Wow, anything I can do on my own to lower that?

Quote Originally Posted by SRivers33 View Post
    Wow, anything I can do on my own to lower that?
    Source parts from used vehicles being parted out? Such as fenders, hood, bumper, etc? That will certainly be cheaper than new. Also, if you source parts in your color, it'd save on paint.

I dunno. I'm not a body guy in the least. Are you? Do you know how to cut/bend/weld/straighten a frame?

What does it matter though if it was the other guy's fault? Their insurance will be paying you, or paying to fix it.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Cause I'm not sure how it'll work but I'm about as certain as possible that it'll be totalled...which means I ultimately have to fix it with money I get from him yes...?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SRivers33 View Post
    Cause I'm not sure how it'll work but I'm about as certain as possible that it'll be totalled...which means I ultimately have to fix it with money I get from him yes...?
    No. You get an insurance check and you can buy another car.

If its totaled, its not worth fixing...

It was already a salvage. guess i should have put that first, so i likely wont get much for it and i cant see them just fixing it. I cant imagine its not worth doing a little bit of fabrication and fitting if the drivetrain and suspension is intact...

If it's already a Salvage, I can't imagine it's worth not just scrapping and parting out, cutting your losses and starting over with a new car.

If there's frame damage especially, its not gonna be near an easy fix. It's going to be a headache. Chances are depending on local laws, it may even be hard to get retitled again considering it already was a Salvage title.

Sounds like you should get a professional estimate done first to find out exactly all what is wrong with it if you really do want to fix it. Otherwise it's going to be one of those things where you keep finding another thing wrong, and then another thing, and then another thing once you start pulling it apart.

yup i hear you, makes sense. On the phone with the insurance ppl now. Will keep you guys posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    body panels and frame at least...plus paint...looking at $5k easily if done by a shop...
    What parts am i looking at replacing? Front right frame rail, front bumper, fender and hood, not sure what the front top frame rail? is called....dont think i need an entire front clip.....

Dude if you don't know...it's gonna be a hell of a project. I can't totally tell you from just looking at that one pic of the exterior damage.

Fender, headlight, hood, fender liner, intercooler piping, intake?, bumper...and who knows about what on the frame is. Is the wheel bent, cracked or damaged? Is the tire flatspotted or messed up in any way? Are suspension parts or brakes damaged in any way? You're certainly going to need an alignment...Is the timing on the engine messed up in any way?

It seems like the frame is bent. If I were you I would take a check from the insurance and ask what the buy back price is. Usually only a couple hundred. From that point weigh your options. I would part it out, you'll make the most money on it rather than selling it as a whole or repairing it; Especially if it already has a salvage title.

well, im not much of a body guy but i take to this stuff pretty well. There are no problems with the wheel and suspension that i can see, something small could have gotten past me but like i said, it drove home, no problems with the timing, turbo, transmission, brakes, wheels or anything else...from what i can tell, the frame pieces need to be replaced, the frame rail, bumper mounts, radiator mount, inner and outer fenders....hood....lights of course....the rail is $179.88 at the subaru dealership, the radiator mount $29.19...not sure on the others...

like i said i can cut, weld, fabricate a bit as well

it was definintly a glancing blow...the fender and light took the most damage
    Last edited by SRivers33; 02-07-2013 at 03:44 PM.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130207_171055.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	99.2 KB 
ID:	111765 Better pic of the frame and subsequent damage. Thoughts? Could i not just replace the frame rail (Not stand alone, just in reference to the frame parts on this side)......forward of the spring mount there?
    Last edited by SRivers33; 02-07-2013 at 04:34 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast