I can't get used to how big the nose is - CRUNCH

This is a discussion on I can't get used to how big the nose is - CRUNCH within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So, I can't seem to get used to how big the nose hangs out on my car. Unfortunately, too many ...

I can't get used to how big the nose is - CRUNCH

So, I can't seem to get used to how big the nose hangs out on my car. Unfortunately, too many times now I have found myself scraping on curbs or something while parking. This morning, I actually even hit a little pole or something because I didn't see it - it was NEXT TO the curb I guess, but I digress.

Anywhooo, what is the best way to fix this up? Goof Off or something? Maybe then a micro-abrasion thing like the PlastX stuff for headlights? Live with it? Touch it up? Get some of that Dr Color Chip stuff?

Here's a pic of my ineptitude:
    "Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."
    -Van Helsing, from Bram Stoker's ​Dracula

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Kinda hard to tell from the pic, but it looks like those scrapes removed some plastic - no polish or scratch-x is going to help. If it's just paint transfer (no gouges in the plastic, only paint from the pole left on the surface), you can try the scratch-x or take it to a detailer.

Yeah, I fully expect that it took some plastic with it. I hit it so hard I actually had to snap parts back together... I don't expect it to look like new after whatever you guys recommend (unless it's magical)...
    "Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."

on my 02 i pulled in my garage too far. hit my parts cabinet and had a metal flashlight fall nicely down and put a few dents in my hood

ha you should see my front bumper on my 2005. Its low as crap and I pop off panels and bumper trim and everything all the time. I gave up after awhile.

I understand it's a new car though and you want to take care of it. Good thing is, there's no rust to deal with. Best thing to do is just find some matching touch up paint.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    ha you should see my front bumper on my 2005. Its low as crap and I pop off panels and bumper trim and everything all the time. I gave up after awhile.

I understand it's a new car though and you want to take care of it. Good thing is, there's no rust to deal with. Best thing to do is just find some matching touch up paint.
    Gotcha. I appreciate the input. And "new" = 20,000 miles already! Dang...

I think I'll probably get some of that Dr. Color Chip stuff - it's only $40 and looks like it does a fair job. And I'll probably be getting a front lip soon. And maybe I'll just learn to err on the side of caution, but I'm not holding my breath for that to sink in...

I used to do that all the time on my Eclipse. The STI has a much shorter nose and actually sits a bit higher.
    It might be worth getting a fine grade sand paper and smoothing it out a bit first, priming and doing a spray of the area. You should be able to color match it.

FWIW, I used some Goof Off or whatever to get rid of the paint markings and it looks a lot better. Still some plastic missing, but it's manageable now.

That front bumper acts like a shovel when I'm in the dirt anyway, so I'm sure I'll be getting it replaced eventually.

I just noticed a nice crack on mine...damn things need a nose job!
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Early on i figured out that I can tell where by lining up my sight. I look under the bottom of the driver side mirror, there is a spot when that lines up nicely with the bottom of the curb I'm nosing towards. Not so hard to tell when to stop. Try to find something like that. Of course that changes with changing the seat position or sitting differently, or slope in the drive surface...
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

I feel you pain...I only scraped the underside of my front, but it is hard to judge. And when I think I am doing a good job and stopping early enough I often find I went farther that I thought..but thankfully it has been over curbs lower than my front. I had great success with the subaru OEM touch up paint...mine is the same color as yours and it has been a perfect match.

Quote Originally Posted by Ingo View Post
    Early on i figured out that I can tell where by lining up my sight. I look under the bottom of the driver side mirror, there is a spot when that lines up nicely with the bottom of the curb I'm nosing towards. Not so hard to tell when to stop. Try to find something like that. Of course that changes with changing the seat position or sitting differently, or slope in the drive surface...
    That's genius actually...

Quote Originally Posted by garzdos View Post
    I feel you pain...I only scraped the underside of my front, but it is hard to judge. And when I think I am doing a good job and stopping early enough I often find I went farther that I thought..but thankfully it has been over curbs lower than my front. I had great success with the subaru OEM touch up paint...mine is the same color as yours and it has been a perfect match.
    Awesome - thanx for the recommendation! I think I'm going to end up getting some of that Dr Paint Chip Color stuff (or whatever it's called) also just in case. We all end up complaining about the "sandblasted" look after a while no matter what. And my 2012 already has 21k miles on it!

I'd be pretty screwed if I were any lower - I always stick my nose over :P
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

^^Ass in first =)

Posted from a fone.