Chipped Paint

This is a discussion on Chipped Paint within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey Guys! Im a proud owner of a brand new '13 white wrx 5-door. So I've only been driving it ...

Chipped Paint

Hey Guys!

Im a proud owner of a brand new '13 white wrx 5-door. So I've only been driving it for a little over 2 weeks, not even 300 miles yet. Today I noticed some chipped paint in my front bumper. Kind of sad especially since the car is still brand new.
    *sorry for ****ty pic.

Any suggestions/thoughts on how to resolve this issue would be great. I know a naked bra is an option so any thoughts on that would be awesome too.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Romp View Post
    Hey Guys!

Im a proud owner of a brand new '13 white wrx 5-door. So I've only been driving it for a little over 2 weeks, not even 300 miles yet. Today I noticed some chipped paint in my front bumper. Kind of sad especially since the car is still brand new.
    *sorry for ****ty pic.

Any suggestions/thoughts on how to resolve this issue would be great. I know a naked bra is an option so any thoughts on that would be awesome too.
    Welcome to Subaru. You aren't an official member until at least three quarters of your front end is covered in paint chips

Clear bra would certainly help. Also I've heard opticoat (search this site) helps too.

Enjoy the new car!

hmmm thank you for the feedback.
    anyone know what I should be paying to have a Clear Bra installed?

You can get it fixed but odds are the dealer will tell you to go away and then you will have to call SOA.

Pretty upset on how the dealer and SOA are taking care of my paint problem...

I never updated that thread but it did get fixed free of charged by Subaru.
    2009 WRX - Catted DP, Torqued performance stage 2
    2011 Sportwagon TDi
    1970 Chevy Impala Convertible 454

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    Welcome to Subaru. You aren't an official member until at least three quarters of your front end is covered in paint chips

Clear bra would certainly help. Also I've heard opticoat (search this site) helps too.

Enjoy the new car!
    My car at 11,000 miles looks horrible and I can say that Opti-coat does not prevent rock chips at all really.
    2012 WRX ice silver metallic
    Protuned by Agile Auto 315whp/342wtq @ 20.5psi

anyone that has done a naked bra experience color fade differences over a long time?

someone suggested I just ride it out until it looks garbage, then just get it sprayed again.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Romp View Post
    anyone that has done a naked bra experience color fade differences over a long time?

someone suggested I just ride it out until it looks garbage, then just get it sprayed again.
    That is actually what my plan is.

For a bra, depending on how far back you go, you are looking at $300 to $400 (or higher) for just the front end back to the hood scoop. You shouldn't really see much paint fade that is noticeable. You already have some of this treatment stock right on the rear/bottom of your back doors.

Good luck!

I'm at 3500 miles and I have a couple good sized chips on my hood. My plan is to just keep hiding the primer with touch up paint. I read a few threads where the clear bra installers left razor marks all over peoples paint. I got scared.

Congrats Op on the car, I too have SWP and in hind sight I think the dark gray would have been a better choice as every chip shows black primer below. I still have barely over 2000 miles and got my '13 SWP sedan back in Sep and it seems like everytime I take the car out I get a new chip on the front bumper. I've touched up the three I could see, one on the lip and one on each fog light cover. I also have two small pits on the windshield that are bugging me.

It's funny as I daily drive my Ford F-150 and have owned it almost two years and 21k miles of driving and have no chips on the front end or windshield.

I wouldn't sweat it out too much, I know it blows because the car is still a virgin and new to you so to speak. But when you sell the car someday nobody is going to care about the rock chips. When I owned my '88 Porsche 911 Carrera and hung out on the Porsche forums, the majority over there seem to think a car with rock chips was more valuable as it showed the owner drove the car and truly enjoyed it, versus a mint car that seldom ever got driven or appreciated.

While I hate getting chips on a new car, after I get the first one as I have already I feel more comfortable driving it everywhere I drive it like on the highway etc and I am less paranoid and start to enjoy the car for what it is. Heck my four year old son threw up in my car last week, completely wiping out the new car smell. Reminds me that at the end of the day it's still just a car.
    Last edited by Pool Runner; 02-05-2013 at 08:54 PM.
    Current vehicles:

2013 WRX Sedan, Base, SWP, Wingless
    2011 Outback, Premium, 2.5i, CVT , SWP
    2011 Ford F-150, SuperCab, XLT, 5.0L, V8

Yea after further research, clear bra would be much better suited for a darker car but since im rocking the pearly whites a clear bra can leave some bad dirt/debri on the edges over time. Also the sun may cause fading (i live in socal) so that may be a problem.

In-conclusion ride it out until my OCD goes nuts then just repaint it.