Need help with lights!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Need help with lights!! within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I've been wanting to upgrade my lights since I bought my 2011 WRX. I finally ordered some LEDs for ...

Need help with lights!!

So I've been wanting to upgrade my lights since I bought my 2011 WRX. I finally ordered some LEDs for the interior that look great but I also got LED reverse and DRLs. My first problem is, I ordered them off superbrightleds.com for a pretty good price and bought the brightest ones they had but I'm not sure I like the brightness of the reverse lights. I would like them to be brighter. Any suggestions? Next problem, I installed the LED DRLs (also the brightest they had) they work and they aren't as bright as I would like them either, which isn't a big deal cause daytime lights don't help me see at all BUT.... after I installed them, I went for a drive last night and needed to use my brights, I triggered them and they didn't come on, nothing got brighter. So, Idk if I got the wrong bulb (9005) or if LED just doesn't work as a high beam.
    I consulted "Daniel Stern" and he basically told me I had no idea what I was doing, that I should uninstall my "LEDs" and that they are not safe or legal??? Also said there is no legit upgrade to reverse lights. So, as you can see, not very helpful cause I've seen plenty of people on here do these mods. Just need a little help with the DRLs and any suggestions to bright reverse lights that anyone knows about. Anything is appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I'd listen to Daniel Stern.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    I'd listen to Daniel Stern.
    +1
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    +1
    +2
    2012 WRX Premium Hatch, Stage 2
    Ice Silver Metal

To take it a step further...look at this: H11 to H9 conversion. DIY with temps - NASIOC

But use normal halogen lights. Opt for better quality bulbs such as Sylvania Silverstars or the likes. "LED" bulbs from a cheap site isn't the best way to go. SuperbrightLEDs is fine for interior lights and little things like license plate lights, but not for something necessary like headlight bulbs.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    To take it a step further...look at this: H11 to H9 conversion. DIY with temps - NASIOC

But use normal halogen lights. Opt for better quality bulbs such as Sylvania Silverstars or the likes. "LED" bulbs from a cheap site isn't the best way to go. SuperbrightLEDs is fine for interior lights and little things like license plate lights, but not for something necessary like headlight bulbs.
    I am probably going to do the H9 conversion but I am not looking to use the LEDs for headlights. Before this, I didn't know that the DRL and brights were the same bulb. I just want the DRL to be LED but still have brights. I guess that can't be done?

Quote Originally Posted by SoFloRex View Post
    I am probably going to do the H9 conversion but I am not looking to use the LEDs for headlights. Before this, I didn't know that the DRL and brights were the same bulb. I just want the DRL to be LED but still have brights. I guess that can't be done?
    Basically. If you want the LED strips like Audi's and Porsches...you have to piggy back the wiring, not move it completely.

i have leds in my foglights from superbight...should be called notsobright. i have them just to match my hids in my headlights. in my opinion leds shouldnt be used for any kind of headlights. my buddie has a brz with leds in his blinker he got off ebay. its a combo kinda deal were they are white but when he hits the blinker it turns yellow. it would give you the led look while driving but it would look bad with your DRLs. possibly disable them. just something to think about.

Need help with lights!!

Quote Originally Posted by njandy View Post
    i have leds in my foglights from superbight...should be called notsobright. i have them just to match my hids in my headlights. in my opinion leds shouldnt be used for any kind of headlights. my buddie has a brz with leds in his blinker he got off ebay. its a combo kinda deal were they are white but when he hits the blinker it turns yellow. it would give you the led look while driving but it would look bad with your DRLs. possibly disable them. just something to think about.
    Yea, super rights aren't all that bright. Makes me angry. But I thought about getting the combo lights for driving but if I unplug my DRLs I'll be disabling the brights too, correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Correct. The DRL's are just the hi-beams at half voltage, putting out 1/4th (or so) of the full light.
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

If you disable your DRL's by unplugging the relay under the air box, you will still be able to use your high-beams. It will only disable the lower power setting that Ingo mentions above, which come on when the parking brake is released.

^ exactly
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

+1 for glovebox unplug. not on 07 though for suckers like me.

actualy waiting for paint to dry in mine now. just baked them doing duplicolor shadow on most of the chrome. and deleted the yellow plastic. looks mean.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by njandy View Post
    Well, your foglight reflectors are designed to focus a halogen filament, and you put a bunch of LEDs in there. Of course it doesn't work very well.

It's not just your opinion, your headlights/foglights are not even remotely intended to focus LEDs. There are a few cars out there that offer factory LED headlights (Honda Accord, most luxury brands, even Hyundai). These are of course properly focused, and have similar output to HID projectors, in my experience.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.38◊10-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast