2009 WRX Headlight/Foglight mod
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2009 WRX Headlight/Foglight mod within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So....my next venture with my subie... LIGHTS!!! Cant believe how badly Subaru cheaped out on lights. Its supposedly a rally ...

So....my next venture with my subie...

LIGHTS!!! Cant believe how badly Subaru cheaped out on lights. Its supposedly a rally car. BRUTAL!!!

The stock halogen crap sucks. Period. The Fog lights are like weak flashlights...i never know if they are on or off...it makes no difference. WTF Subaru????

Anyways...parts on order...in two weeks time...the following will happen.

Remove headlight assembly. Install a 6000K HID xenon kit with retrofit projection and angel eye LED ring...(hid does work with halogen projectors...but with lost performance...whats the point then??? gotta go with the retro projection since im molesting my headlight assembly anyways.)

Next...the stock foglights are junk. all housing and bulb to be removed. my supplier has found a projector kit that fill fit my subie wrx. so...in goes the 3000K hid zenon foggy! They will work. They have an impreza in their shop and they work REALLY WELL!!!

I will post pics of my ride as soon as its done! The guys are professionals. Its beyond my skill level...so to the pros i go!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Interested to see how it looks when its all done.
    -Noah

2009 Spark Silver Metallic Sedan - Stage 2+

Stink-Eye Mob #91

Help Me with My Build Thread : http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-sedan.html

I Support ClubWRX
    what parts or kits are you using. i really want better headlights and fogs in mine but still debating on what to do
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

Sounds dramatic, but I'd really like to see pics and get price points for this. My Fogs are cracked and I've been looking at light options for like a year now.

Just because it can be used as a rally car doesn't mean that it is ready to go right out of the box. Would you pay an extra $25,000 for a fully prepared rally car to drive on the street?

Interested to see the pics. I've been wanting to change my fogs too. I changed my DRLs to LEDs but now my brights don't work so I guess I did something wrong. Back to the drawing board.

Quote Originally Posted by jgardiner View Post
    Just because it can be used as a rally car doesn't mean that it is ready to go right out of the box. Would you pay an extra $25,000 for a fully prepared rally car to drive on the street?
    More like an extra $75k.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

for the low beams, do the H9 conversion (possibly a search here or any other subie forum before spending money on HID's) YMMV

H11 to H9 conversion. DIY with temps - NASIOC
    2012 WRX Premium Hatch, Stage 2
    Ice Silver Metal

Well...after giving a deposit...ordering parts...THEN doing weeks of research...

I lost all confidence in the local shop. They have a great rep and do good work...BUT...they order parts from Taiwan....and I won't settle for junk. Period.

So...I cancelled...they got angry...I understood. I did give a $600 deposit...they returned $540. Fair enough. They claimed a re-stocking fee.

So...I still need lights. I want HID. I dont care what others think. Not the least bit. Illegal...Legal...I dont give a rats ass! Simple.

I got in touch with Caesar at LIGHTWERKZ. What a knowledgable guy. To add, they have done countless WRX just like mine.

I HAVE ORDERED....a Stage 2 TSX Retrofit Kit. Caesar was able to source OEM Subaru Headlight assemblies direct from Subaru and he will then proceed to install the kit into them. It is complete with clear lenses. The key is to have brand new...OEM assemblies to work with. It adds silly money to the cost...but the result will be flawless fitment and overall finish. My car will look stock with these.

I also opted for Morimoto XB LED Halo (90mm) rings to go in. May as well...

Will remove the amber marking strips...leave the stock black out look...no painting. I got a silver car...it will look good.

To power the lights...I am getting Matu****a Gen V 35W Ballasts coupled to the standard kick ass Philips D2S 4300K bulbs.

I decided to fork out more dough...however...these guys have got a rock solid rep...and they know this stuff.

In this fashion...I will be able to shelf my old assemblies in case they are needed...or just sell em used on eBay to recover some cost.

I want to share what I paid for all this...but dont know if its fair to Caesar or Lightwerkz. It was not cheap. Not for me anyways. If I had lots of coin...I would be handling an STI!!!!! Duhhhh!!!!

Needless to say...once I get the lights...have em installed by some known pros...I will post pics.

Now...about the fog lights....oh ****...out of money...FOR NOW!!!!

stay tuned folks.

run quad projectors. I have foglights on order too...

Have you considered the Morimoto 50w 5Five kit?

2013 WRX Plasma Blue Pearl

Quote Originally Posted by Blammo View Post
    Well...after giving a deposit...ordering parts...THEN doing weeks of research...

I lost all confidence in the local shop. They have a great rep and do good work...BUT...they order parts from Taiwan....and I won't settle for junk. Period.

So...I cancelled...they got angry...I understood. I did give a $600 deposit...they returned $540. Fair enough. They claimed a re-stocking fee.

So...I still need lights. I want HID. I dont care what others think. Not the least bit. Illegal...Legal...I dont give a rats ass! Simple.

I got in touch with Caesar at LIGHTWERKZ. What a knowledgable guy. To add, they have done countless WRX just like mine.

I HAVE ORDERED....a Stage 2 TSX Retrofit Kit. Caesar was able to source OEM Subaru Headlight assemblies direct from Subaru and he will then proceed to install the kit into them. It is complete with clear lenses. The key is to have brand new...OEM assemblies to work with. It adds silly money to the cost...but the result will be flawless fitment and overall finish. My car will look stock with these.

I also opted for Morimoto XB LED Halo (90mm) rings to go in. May as well...

Will remove the amber marking strips...leave the stock black out look...no painting. I got a silver car...it will look good.

To power the lights...I am getting Matu****a Gen V 35W Ballasts coupled to the standard kick ass Philips D2S 4300K bulbs.

I decided to fork out more dough...however...these guys have got a rock solid rep...and they know this stuff.

In this fashion...I will be able to shelf my old assemblies in case they are needed...or just sell em used on eBay to recover some cost.

I want to share what I paid for all this...but dont know if its fair to Caesar or Lightwerkz. It was not cheap. Not for me anyways. If I had lots of coin...I would be handling an STI!!!!! Duhhhh!!!!

Needless to say...once I get the lights...have em installed by some known pros...I will post pics.

Now...about the fog lights....oh ****...out of money...FOR NOW!!!!

stay tuned folks.
    Why not just source OEM HID lights from an STI?

Quote Originally Posted by chutoyy View Post
    run quad projectors. I have foglights on order too...

Have you considered the Morimoto 50w 5Five kit?

Looks good man. I like those lights

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by jgardiner View Post
    Why not just source OEM HID lights from an STI?
    Cause they cost an arm and a leg compared to a retrofit, especially a DIY job.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Cause they cost an arm and a leg compared to a retrofit, especially a DIY job.
    Yes stock is VERY expensive
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

Lol...while I wanted to do just that...get the STI OEMs....BUT

For where I live...and just about anywhere...the cost of OEM assemblies from an STI for my 09 WRX...are running up to $850 or more PER SIDE!!! YES....PER SIDE!! Screw that! Here in Canada...from my local dealer...cheapest I could get was close to $900 per side. The problem that most people dont consider with this is...the OEM Sti assemblies invariably come equipped with a motor and fittings for three way adjustment that ONLY the STI is set up to work with. Basically...this adds almost $200 to the value of the assembly. I will never use that. I dont want extra wiring and switch in my car. Costs too much to have customized. I am NOT the type of car owner who does his stuff in my garage. Thats just me though. No knock on guys that have talent and can cleanly pull this stuff off. It was better value to just buy the WRX OEM w/Halogen assembly.

I will also get the LED halos...remove my ambers...and get a cooler looking light than the stock one anyways.

To the poster with the nice ride with the quads...

I also considered this..and asked Caesar at Lightwerkz for reccomendations. On their website...they just did another guys 09 WRX...a guy named Donny. I asked if I could do the same...but somehow, he managed to talk me out of it. LOL! I think your ride is sick...superbly unique...and well..mine is not. Its a daily driver...plain jane...just doing the lights. I love your results though. I just decided I want to run my Halogen high beams still...HID lows...and so no need for the quads. I also SAVE some coin.

I have considered the Morimoto 55W...but I want the Matusheeta Ballast. Its native to the Subaru line and I want that OEM combination. I think the 35W is plenty bright when done right anyways. I am not arguing there is no value in the 55W though. They even have a better warranty on the ballast...but I decided to stick to 35W and Matusheeta. Again...these are just the decisions that I made.

While my bumper is off..HOPING NEXT WEEK or the week after....I ordered HELLA SUPERTONES (red) for my car. They arrive on thursday. Got em through LORDCO Auto Parts. I will put them where all the subie owners like to put these. I just love that crazed red eye look!

Pics are not more than 2 weeks away folks. I hope!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast