Subaru WRX Forum banner

2009 WRX Headlight/Foglight mod

22K views 36 replies 14 participants last post by  Calvinball 
#1 ·
So....my next venture with my subie...

LIGHTS!!! Cant believe how badly Subaru cheaped out on lights. Its supposedly a rally car. BRUTAL!!!

The stock halogen crap sucks. Period. The Fog lights are like weak flashlights...i never know if they are on or off...it makes no difference. WTF Subaru????

Anyways...parts on order...in two weeks time...the following will happen.

Remove headlight assembly. Install a 6000K HID xenon kit with retrofit projection and angel eye LED ring...(hid does work with halogen projectors...but with lost performance...whats the point then??? gotta go with the retro projection since im molesting my headlight assembly anyways.)

Next...the stock foglights are junk. all housing and bulb to be removed. my supplier has found a projector kit that fill fit my subie wrx. so...in goes the 3000K hid zenon foggy! They will work. They have an impreza in their shop and they work REALLY WELL!!!

I will post pics of my ride as soon as its done! The guys are professionals. Its beyond my skill level...so to the pros i go!!!

See less See more
#9 ·
Well...after giving a deposit...ordering parts...THEN doing weeks of research...

I lost all confidence in the local shop. They have a great rep and do good work...BUT...they order parts from Taiwan....and I won't settle for junk. Period.

So...I cancelled...they got angry...I understood. I did give a $600 deposit...they returned $540. Fair enough. They claimed a re-stocking fee.

So...I still need lights. I want HID. I dont care what others think. Not the least bit. Illegal...Legal...I dont give a rats ass! Simple.

I got in touch with Caesar at LIGHTWERKZ. What a knowledgable guy. To add, they have done countless WRX just like mine.

I HAVE ORDERED....a Stage 2 TSX Retrofit Kit. Caesar was able to source OEM Subaru Headlight assemblies direct from Subaru and he will then proceed to install the kit into them. It is complete with clear lenses. The key is to have brand new...OEM assemblies to work with. It adds silly money to the cost...but the result will be flawless fitment and overall finish. My car will look stock with these.

I also opted for Morimoto XB LED Halo (90mm) rings to go in. May as well...

Will remove the amber marking strips...leave the stock black out look...no painting. I got a silver car...it will look good.

To power the lights...I am getting Matu****a Gen V 35W Ballasts coupled to the standard kick ass Philips D2S 4300K bulbs.

I decided to fork out more dough...however...these guys have got a rock solid rep...and they know this stuff.

In this fashion...I will be able to shelf my old assemblies in case they are needed...or just sell em used on eBay to recover some cost.

I want to share what I paid for all this...but dont know if its fair to Caesar or Lightwerkz. It was not cheap. Not for me anyways. If I had lots of coin...I would be handling an STI!!!!! Duhhhh!!!!

Needless to say...once I get the lights...have em installed by some known pros...I will post pics.

Now...about the fog lights....oh ****...out of money...FOR NOW!!!!

stay tuned folks.

#15 ·
Lol...while I wanted to do just that...get the STI OEMs....BUT

For where I live...and just about anywhere...the cost of OEM assemblies from an STI for my 09 WRX...are running up to $850 or more PER SIDE!!! YES....PER SIDE!! Screw that! Here in Canada...from my local dealer...cheapest I could get was close to $900 per side. The problem that most people dont consider with this is...the OEM Sti assemblies invariably come equipped with a motor and fittings for three way adjustment that ONLY the STI is set up to work with. Basically...this adds almost $200 to the value of the assembly. I will never use that. I dont want extra wiring and switch in my car. Costs too much to have customized. I am NOT the type of car owner who does his stuff in my garage. Thats just me though. No knock on guys that have talent and can cleanly pull this stuff off. It was better value to just buy the WRX OEM w/Halogen assembly.

I will also get the LED halos...remove my ambers...and get a cooler looking light than the stock one anyways.

To the poster with the nice ride with the quads...

I also considered this..and asked Caesar at Lightwerkz for reccomendations. On their website...they just did another guys 09 WRX...a guy named Donny. I asked if I could do the same...but somehow, he managed to talk me out of it. LOL! I think your ride is sick...superbly unique...and well..mine is not. Its a daily driver...plain jane...just doing the lights. I love your results though. I just decided I want to run my Halogen high beams still...HID lows...and so no need for the quads. I also SAVE some coin.

I have considered the Morimoto 55W...but I want the Matusheeta Ballast. Its native to the Subaru line and I want that OEM combination. I think the 35W is plenty bright when done right anyways. I am not arguing there is no value in the 55W though. They even have a better warranty on the ballast...but I decided to stick to 35W and Matusheeta. Again...these are just the decisions that I made.

While my bumper is off..HOPING NEXT WEEK or the week after....I ordered HELLA SUPERTONES (red) for my car. They arrive on thursday. Got em through LORDCO Auto Parts. I will put them where all the subie owners like to put these. I just love that crazed red eye look!

Pics are not more than 2 weeks away folks. I hope!

#16 ·
Well...finally got my lights done and had a few pics to show.

Sadly...I have got Red Hella Supertones on, but the camera and lighting in rainy BC didnt mix well. Just blacks em out behind the grill. I did remove the WRX badge. Too much clutter. They do look obvious in person though. They can be seen on the road anyways. They can certainly be heard...its kind of ridiculous. But I like the look with my Halos on!!

Anyways...here are the results....new OEM retrofitted assembly swap.....by a trusted group of sensational import tuners....i went with the goods here...TSX-R lenses (clear)...with OEM Matsoosheeta ballasts! Philips bulbs. I will need to some adjustments tonight...need to find a white wall and some space. Anyways...will try to at least improvise on my garage door. Will post those night pics later on! I will say...my money was well spent. Thanks LIGHTWERKZ. The lights are bright. I am lighting up the road quite a ways in front of me. At traffic lights. As I approach...my lights are lighting up the intersection...its incredible. Whenever I pull up to idiots with HID ricer kits...my lights are FAR superior to any of those crappy kits in halogen reflector housings. Straight up truth here. NOT HATING! I have used ricer kits too...in the past...now I have read the Daniel stern...a few times...and understand what it takes to get the RIGHT effect. My lights just over power other peoples lights right there on the road at a red light. I LOVE IT!!!!!

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Subaru Subaru impreza wrx sti
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Headlamp Subaru impreza wrx sti
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Hood Subaru

#35 ·
Well...finally got my lights done and had a few pics to show.

Sadly...I have got Red Hella Supertones on, but the camera and lighting in rainy BC didnt mix well. Just blacks em out behind the grill. I did remove the WRX badge. Too much clutter. They do look obvious in person though. They can be seen on the road anyways. They can certainly be heard...its kind of ridiculous. But I like the look with my Halos on!!

Anyways...here are the results....new OEM retrofitted assembly swap.....by a trusted group of sensational import tuners....i went with the goods here...TSX-R lenses (clear)...with OEM Matsoosheeta ballasts! Philips bulbs. I will need to some adjustments tonight...need to find a white wall and some space. Anyways...will try to at least improvise on my garage door. Will post those night pics later on! I will say...my money was well spent. Thanks LIGHTWERKZ. The lights are bright. I am lighting up the road quite a ways in front of me. At traffic lights. As I approach...my lights are lighting up the intersection...its incredible. Whenever I pull up to idiots with HID ricer kits...my lights are FAR superior to any of those crappy kits in halogen reflector housings. Straight up truth here. NOT HATING! I have used ricer kits too...in the past...now I have read the Daniel stern...a few times...and understand what it takes to get the RIGHT effect. My lights just over power other peoples lights right there on the road at a red light. I LOVE IT!!!!!
looks nice!

Although clear to many this was in jest.. Probably would have been better to make sure the OP knew that especially since he is a relative n00b.

You're welcome! I'm glad you learned something. Getting a rally car for 25k sure would be a bargain.
Not helpful. Lets not be nasioc. The guys is a relative noob.

Thanks for that response...twice...

How about a nice cup of SHUT THE F*&K UP
I realize that when upset its tough to not post up a response but getting mad in a post isn't really helpful. Report the post if you don't feel you can reply without getting mad. Also please don't dodge the swear filter.

butthurt pic
While funny and true... Not helpful.

Blammo, please understand that many members here tend to jest and rib each other a bit. No harm is usually intended. A thicker skin may help.

Other members, let make sure we are courteous to all especially the new folks who really don't know how to take your responses.

Thank you all and now back to our regular programming.

:)

#22 ·
I'm glad you learned something. Getting a rally car for 25k sure would be a bargain.

#25 ·
Well that wasn't very pleasant.

I thought you Canadians were supposed to be nice?....

#26 ·
I think Anthony's point is that at best you could say these cars are "rally inspired." They aren't rally cars though, really they're just souped up economy cars.

This would be a silly thing to start getting all bent out of shape over.

Reactions: Ruh Roh
#32 ·
I aint apologizing to nobody for nothing.

F&#K ALL of you that cant be helpful.

The fact that I was mistaken about the "rally car" was pointed out properly over 1 month ago when I started the thread. Take a READ. if you can!

I realized it and left it at that. I now come back to the board to share my experience...my pics...OF LIGHTS....and you f*&king fools just go on and on about a mistake I made over 1 month ago.

F*&K You! I am NOT sorry the least bit.

Lock up the thread...do what you have to...remove me from the forum...I dont care.

#32 ·
First of all, I posted up a funny image to what you said. I never said anything derogatory towards you or insulted you. I was merely jesting.

You are way over reacting man. There's no need to get so mad over something so simple. We're a very tight knit group here and we all mess around. I would highly suggest changing your attitude about things and going off like that man.

Reactions: Ruh Roh
#36 ·
Thanks for that response. Thanks for the comments.

I got mad because my bad assessment of it being a rally car, was ALREADY pointed out in the beginning over one month ago with a nicely worded comment. I never even replied because it put me in my place. I am a TOTAL noob...this is my first Subaru. The doughnut request was totally derogatory whether he admits or not. The NO pic had nothing to do with the pics I posted or what I had written. He was "jesting" about a rather back dated comment.

His response was in no way relevant to the thread which was about lights. So I posted my pics. I am glad at least you took a look at what was relevant and commented. Appreciated! Cost me a lot of $$$ though...but well worth it given the results...especially at night. I will try to post a few night shots when the rain gives up and I can take em!

My next venture will be with the Kartboy short throw shift kit. It will arrive on Friday...and hopefully...installed next week some time. Feels like a row boat at the moment. I also opted for the bushings. Hopefully...this kit lives up the pretty decent reputation it has.

The tuner shop that I am dealing with...recommended a COBB Accessport before doing ANY other mods. What do you guys think of this? I am a noob...and dont fully understand what the COBB port can do for me. Does it change fuel/air ratios to compensate for further modifications. I am strongly considering intake and exhaust modifications but dont have enough knowledge or data to know what to buy. Seems like there is so much info online...I am confused by the time I am finished reading.

Anyways...shift kit for now...then save up for the Accessport and see where that gets me. The guy at the shop said the Accessport alone will free up 30HP. Is that true?

#37 ·
The AP will enable you to flash stage 1, which is a retune of the engine, if you have no other supporting mods. 30 hp sounds about right. If the tuner recommended it, then most likely he uses the AP to do his tuning, so he is asking you to buy a tool that will be useful later if you get a protune from him. I would just double check with him if that is definitely the case.

Check the link in my sig for a good place to start reading about starting off with mods for these cars.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.