1 week old...paint chips already? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on 1 week old...paint chips already? within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Is it possible to have a body shop spray a high quality clear coat? How much would that run?...

1 week old...paint chips already?

Is it possible to have a body shop spray a high quality clear coat? How much would that run?
    Yellow lights mean go faster!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    i had my door and rear bumper recleared and touched up and cost about 225 for each
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

Quote Originally Posted by twister8008 View Post
    Is it possible to have a body shop spray a high quality clear coat? How much would that run?
    Opti-coat would be a much cheaper alternative and works pretty well for protecting the paint from marring and scratches but it will still chip from stones.
    2012 WRX ice silver metallic
    Protuned by Agile Auto 315whp/342wtq @ 20.5psi

if your car is a DD, i'd wait until you have a collection of chips(or something worse) before repairing. if you get too nitpicky with a DD, you're only setting yourself up for a bigger disappointment. chips and road rash is inevitable unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by CaQuin View Post
    Dr.ColorChip Custom Automotive Touch-Up Paint Kit - Dr. ColorChip: Automotive Paint Chip Repair Systems

More expensive than touch paint but so damn worth it. No blobs whatsoever.
    This Dr. Colorchip stuff looks amazing! And I have only heard good things about it. OP, I can see how going this route would be best for ideal repair!

About to get some for my rashed up Sienna mini van...the chips are showing up like crazy on my white paint!

CaQuin - have you used this before? I am a little confused about how their website sells 2 different kits that both have 0.5 oz of paint but more or less of the SealAct and say they it will cover or 2 dozen chips. If they each have the same amount of paint, wouldn't it cover the same amount of chips?

Quote Originally Posted by garzdos View Post
    This Dr. Colorchip stuff looks amazing! And I have only heard good things about it. OP, I can see how going this route would be best for ideal repair!

About to get some for my rashed up Sienna mini van...the chips are showing up like crazy on my white paint!

CaQuin - have you used this before? I am a little confused about how their website sells 2 different kits that both have 0.5 oz of paint but more or less of the SealAct and say they it will cover or 2 dozen chips. If they each have the same amount of paint, wouldn't it cover the same amount of chips?
    I did buy it and I did use it. It's awesome and easy to do. The only thing that I didn't like was the website said that the SWP was slightly off bc of the tricoat. I took the risk and I'm glad I did. It really isn't noticeable.

I had a nick on the passenger side a pilar that went straight to the metal/frame. This covered it up. I can't even find where I used the dr color-chip. I highly recommend it. It is more expensive than a traditional touch up paint but worth every penny and no blob.

Mine had more sealact. You need more of that so u can blend the paint. I purchased the standard touch-up paintkit since I was fixing only one chip and had extra just incase more shows up or if I mess up.

I did buy it and I did use it. It's awesome and easy to do. The only thing that I didn't like was the website said that the SWP was slightly off bc of the tricoat. I took the risk and I'm glad I did. It really isn't noticeable.

I had a nick on the passenger side a pilar that went straight to the metal/frame. This covered it up. I can't even find where I used the dr color-chip. I highly recommend it. It is more expensive than a traditional touch up paint but worth every penny and no blob.

Mine had more sealact. You need more of that so u can blend the paint. I purchased the standard touch-up paintkit since I was fixing only one chip and had extra just incase more shows up or if I mess up.
    Well I know if I got any for my 2012 WRX I wouldn't need much since I have no real damage right now...but my Sienna minivan is 14 years old and has a lot of little chips all over the hood (it's a steep angle and lots of rocks have hit going over mountain passes here in Oregon...they gravel the roads here). Sounds like I would need a bigger kit to cover so many chips. The chips are very little (size of a dot you could make with a pen) but there are dozens of them...

Sounds like you didn't need to work with a large enough area to be able to give me an idea how much their kits really cover...

Well I know if I got any for my 2012 WRX I wouldn't need much since I have no real damage right now...but my Sienna minivan is 14 years old and has a lot of little chips all over the hood (it's a steep angle and lots of rocks have hit going over mountain passes here in Oregon...they gravel the roads here). Sounds like I would need a bigger kit to cover so many chips. The chips are very little (size of a dot you could make with a pen) but there are dozens of them...

Sounds like you didn't need to work with a large enough area to be able to give me an idea how much their kits really cover...
    Yea for something that large I wouldn't be of big help. Sorry.

Yea for something that large I wouldn't be of big help. Sorry.
    Still, I appreciate your attestation to how well it works! I just saw on their website that you could apply the paint to a t shirt and smear over large areas to cover many chips at once...sounds like a good idea but I think it would also waste more paint. I have time. I'll touch them up one by one...thanks again!

Still, I appreciate your attestation to how well it works! I just saw on their website that you could apply the paint to a t shirt and smear over large areas to cover many chips at once...sounds like a good idea but I think it would also waste more paint. I have time. I'll touch them up one by one...thanks again!
    NP. Good luck!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12