2013 WRX base model HID's
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2013 WRX base model HID's within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey im looking for suggestions on a good set of HID's. I had them on my previous truck before the ...

Hey im looking for suggestions on a good set of HID's. I had them on my previous truck before the subaru and they sucked. My car is my pride and joy and i really want something of quality. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I think the issue with aftermarket HID's is not the lights, but the fact that the reflectors are not designed for HID's and the light pattern is not what it's supposed to be. But I also like the light output of HID's and will certainly follow this post hoping to hear from those who have installed them and what the results are.

I Support ClubWRX

*Sigh* This has been discussed at great length in multiple other threads. Please search around first.

Cliffnotes: Get a full projector retrofit from theretrofitsource.com

/thread
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

Re: 2013 WRX base model HID's

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    *Sigh* This has been discussed at great length in multiple other threads. Please search around first.

Cliffnotes: Get a full projector retrofit from theretrofitsource.com

/thread
    This

H9 bulbs? fraction of the cost. i've been running those in my 2012 Wagon.

twice the lumens as the H11's - cost varies.
    2012 WRX Premium Hatch, Stage 2
    Ice Silver Metal

^ this. You can get two H9 bulbs at any autozone or auto parts store around you. I wouldn't waste money on like Sylvania Silverstars, ultra this ultra that, just get the least expensive ones. You do have to make a small modification to a small tab on the female end of the bulb (the part that plugs in). You can use this thread as a reference, it should cover everything you need to know:

H11 to H9 conversion. DIY with temps - NASIOC

I did this modification a few weeks ago. I trust that the light is brighter, thought I didn't get any real before and after pictures to compare and honestly can't tell THAT much of a difference but I trust its there.

As for proper HIDs, you would need a complete retrofit from a company like theretrofitsource or lightwerkz. I plan on doing this in the spring/summer when it's warmer out.

Ok yea because the yellow projector lights are not bright at all. Thanks guys big help. Rambo I am new to this forum just signed up yesterday. Just asking some basic questions that I had. I am sorry.

KHP
    I helped my friend do his H11 to H9 conversion yesterday. Difference is night and day(literally). Plus it will only set you back about $30 and filing down a small tab in the bulb socket. Avoid the "Silvania Silver Star" and other premium line of bulbs that promise whitest light possible(they are biggest hoax of a product that I can think of). Buy the basic Sylvania or Philips H9's you can find. You should be able to find them in your local Auto Parts store. I also linked the bulbs you'd want below.

Philips H9 Standard Headlight Bulb, Pack of 1 : Amazon.com : Automotive

Sylvania H9-65W/ 64213 European Halogen Headlight Bulb, (Pack of 1) : Amazon.com : Automotive

I wouldn't suggest doing plug n play HID conversions. Its a very bad idea if not done correctly. A proper full projector HID retro fit will set you back $300+ and a ton of custom work.
    Last edited by KHP; 01-27-2013 at 06:02 PM.
    2011 WRX Limited Spark Silver (5 Door)

what color would those H9's project?

KHP
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Fish View Post
    The bulbs will still emit a yellowish tint(Approximately around 3800K to 3900K. Typical OEM HID's are 4300K), but it's quite a bit whiter than OEM halogens because it does emit 40% more lumens (blows out some of the yellow into white light) than the H11 setup (H11=1250 lumens vs. H9=2100 lumens). The point of the specified bulbs is to put out as much light as possible.

The tinted blue bulbs manufacturer claims to emit white light actually puts out less light than OEM. People get a placebo effect of "brighter light" because the light looks whiter and obviously the bulbs more expensive .

You may find the below link interesting.
    Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply: Safe, Legal, Blue...But Are They Any Good?

i am using h9 hyper whites from headlight bulbs dot com. off the top of my head, they are 4500k (i think).

once these burn out, i'm just going to get the $10 H9's from pepboys/autozone/wally world. i like the output on the ones i have (tiny hint of blue) but the $30 bucks a whack isn't worth it. mine are 65 watts.

i don't trust any of the eBay / Amzason "HID" look-a-like bulbs as most are either cheap chineese knock off's or cost a lot of money. i've seen some for as much as $75 bucks. no thanks.

i've been running mine since August, if they last over 2 years, i'll order another pair... i'm very skeptical as one of my yellow fogs i got from them burnt out within 90 days. could have been a bad bulb... they do have a 1 year guarantee. i ended up getting a pair of overlays from ebay and throwing my OEM bulbs back in.

Quote Originally Posted by KHP View Post
    The bulbs will still emit a yellowish tint(Approximately around 3800K to 3900K. Typical OEM HID's are 4300K), but it's quite a bit whiter than OEM halogens because it does emit 40% more lumens (blows out some of the yellow into white light) than the H11 setup (H11=1250 lumens vs. H9=2100 lumens). The point of the specified bulbs is to put out as much light as possible.

The tinted blue bulbs manufacturer claims to emit white light actually puts out less light than OEM. People get a placebo effect of "brighter light" because the light looks whiter and obviously the bulbs more expensive .

You may find the below link interesting.
    Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply: Safe, Legal, Blue...But Are They Any Good?
    also, ^ this ^ -if only i'd read that before i ordered $90 dollars worth of bulbs. ROFL.

i do however like my DRL's / Hi Beams in a more "yellow" color. same, i'm running yellow 9005's (or is it 9006's) in my DRL / High beams.

YMMV

ETA: see posts 141 & 142, that's my car.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...2083911&page=3
    2012 WRX Premium Hatch, Stage 2
    Ice Silver Metal

I bought xentec hids from ebay... h11 6000k 35w... they work great, look nice, and defiantly an improvement from stock! Best 30 bucks Ive ever spent... heres a picture on my hatch... Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1351.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	118.0 KB 
ID:	111414Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1281.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	83.7 KB 
ID:	111415

KHP
    Quote Originally Posted by atissasha View Post
    I bought xentec hids from ebay... h11 6000k 35w... they work great, look nice, and defiantly an improvement from stock! Best 30 bucks Ive ever spent... heres a picture on my hatch...

Ive heard HIDS are a menace when installing tho. But if you got yours to work i should try your brand! How long have u had them on?

I Support ClubWRX
    Rambo I am new to this forum just signed up yesterday. Just asking some basic questions that I had. I am sorry.
    It's fine, but please do search around in the future. I use Google site search for here a lot, it seems to be more effective than the forum's own search utilities.

Type in google: "YOUR SEARCH TERMS HERE site:clubwrx.net"
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.