2013 WRX base model HID's - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2013 WRX base model HID's within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by Nick_Fish Ive heard HIDS are a menace when installing tho. But if you got yours to work ...

KHP
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Fish View Post
    Ive heard HIDS are a menace when installing tho. But if you got yours to work i should try your brand! How long have u had them on?
    Please do not fall for PnP HID's into OEM halogen projectors. To clarify PnP HID's are ridiculously simple to install, but this particular way does not make it work correctly. Yes your halogen projectors will project the light, but not the way HID specific projectors do.

Proper HID retrofits (replacing the whole projector assembly along bulb capsule and igniter/ballast) is a lot of work and $$$, but can be done. Check out the The Retrofit Source online: headlight upgrades for all applications if you choose to do an HID retrofit.

Checkout this guys legitimate RetroFit to see how it's done correctly: '13 WRX Quad Projector Retrofit

If you're keen on getting HID "White" look for "cheap" and easy then get yourself a pair of "Sylvania SilverStars H11's". If you want lighting nirvana for cheap and easy refer back to everyone's recommendation regarding H11 to H9 conversion.
    Last edited by KHP; 01-28-2013 at 03:16 PM.
    2011 WRX Limited Spark Silver (5 Door)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by atissasha
    I bought xentec hids from ebay... h11 6000k 35w... they work great, look nice, and defiantly an improvement from stock! Best 30 bucks Ive ever spent... heres a picture on my hatch...
    You'd have been better off spending that $30 in the nudie bar...

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...s/Hid/HID.html
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Ive had them for quite a while without any problems... (5-6 months),,, It was an easy install, took about 35 minutes, and the 35w is perfect for our headlight housing's as it will not melt the plastic...

The 150 dollar hids you see on websites aren't really worth it... Try the 35 buck ones if you'd like...

The only thing you have to "mod" is the headlight cap on both sides (where the bulb goes)... If you see the second picture, I cut an inch whole in the cap with a drill bit, and ran the HID wires through... was fairly simples and have no headlight condensation problems...

GOOD LUCK! -Alex

KHP
    Quote Originally Posted by atissasha View Post
    Ive had them for quite a while without any problems... (5-6 months),,, It was an easy install, took about 35 minutes, and the 35w is perfect for our headlight housing's as it will not melt the plastic...

The 150 dollar hids you see on websites aren't really worth it... Try the 35 buck ones if you'd like...

The only thing you have to "mod" is the headlight cap on both sides (where the bulb goes)... If you see the second picture, I cut an inch whole in the cap with a drill bit, and ran the HID wires through... was fairly simples and have no headlight condensation problems...

GOOD LUCK! -Alex
    Please read the link EJ257 posted. The issue is not having anything to do with melting the headlamp housing. HID's produce light differently than Halogen filament. The OEM Halogen Projector is not designed to focus HID beam correctly. You will never see Sylvania/Philips/GE manufacture HID capsules that are not D1S, D2S, D3S, D4S, D1R, and D2R mount standard. The rest are knockoffs that suck people into believing that HID's are as simple as changing bulbs.

Again please take the time to read this link: All about HIDs

GOOD LUCK! -Alex
    Bully for you, I hope I never encounter you on the road at nighttime.

The big issue is that the reflector housing for the halogen lights is not designed the same way a true HID projector housing is. Your car is assuredly one of those that I would say "Why is that dude driving with his brights on blinding me??"
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Quote Originally Posted by KHP View Post
    +1
    2012 WRX Premium Hatch, Stage 2
    Ice Silver Metal

Please read the link EJ257 posted. The issue is not having anything to do with melting the headlamp housing. HID's produce light differently than Halogen filament. The OEM Halogen Projector is not designed to focus HID beam correctly. You will never see Sylvania/Philips/GE manufacture HID capsules that are not D1S, D2S, D3S, D4S, D1R, and D2R mount standard. The rest are knockoffs that suck people into believing that HID's are as simple as changing bulbs.

Again please take the time to read this link: All about HIDs

Read that... I will defiantly consider removing the hids I have and look into the h9 conversion... Did not consider the fact that I could be "blinding" other drivers...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by atissasha
    Read that... I will defiantly consider removing the hids I have and look into the h9 conversion... Did not consider the fact that I could be "blinding" other drivers...
    Most people say STFU. Props for reading it with an open mind. Seriously...
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

KHP
    I was surprised how well H9 conversion worked on my friends car. I would say It's up to par with proper HID headlamps(considering visibility). My friend loves his conversion.

KHP
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    +1

I was surprised how well H9 conversion worked on my friends car. I would say It's up to par with proper HID headlamps(considering visibility). My friend loves his conversion.
    Ill give it a go this weekend and let you guys know how it goes !

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    +1

And rep to atissasha as a result!
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Ill give it a go this weekend and let you guys know how it goes !
    Goodluck! Also noticed you're located in CT as well, same here.

Quote Originally Posted by olenderc View Post
    Also noticed you're located in CT as well, same here.
    Where about? I am in Greenwich

Where about? I am in Greenwich
    Farmington

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast