Bugeye Headlight Help!

This is a discussion on Bugeye Headlight Help! within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys, I know this topic has been covered before, but the posts I saw were at least 2 1/2 ...

Registered User Subaru-Mopar-Luv's Avatar

Bugeye Headlight Help!

Hey guys, I know this topic has been covered before, but the posts I saw were at least 2 1/2 years old. So, I figured I'd give it a go. I am looking for some nice replacement headlights to upgrade the look of my '02 bugeye WRX. My car is PSM and I would like black headlight housing if possible. Like everyone else, I want the Prodrive/JDM projectors or the Morettes. My issue is that I can't afford them and people willing to sell theirs won't ship to Canada anyways. I, like everyone else, initially looked at the Spec-D Tuning headlights SPEC-D - Subaru WRX 2002-2003 Black Dual Halo Projector Headlights Rally-Style with Paintable Housing

They looked good (kind of similar to the Prodrives in set up) and unlike before, they now say they're street legal, high quality, blah blah blah. I've heard of wiring nightmares for install, but yet there are now YouTube videos showing simple install (plug and play) and they work pefectly. I don't think I believe it. The halo rings don't look too bad and I would maybe go for them (as long as they have no LEDs, just puts them over the top ricer) but it's just not the right look. I want the real deals, but I have no money.

So, in short, has anybody seen any different products around that won't cost me $1100+? Please feel free to toss in opinions, etc. I know the halos are ricey and I likely won't get them unless they've somehow improved and are the only thing on the market.

Thanks for your help!

EDIT: The website in the link posted also says they have great lighting and won't blind oncoming drivers. I've heard different, but like I said this topic hasn't been covered for a while as far as I know.
    Speed never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you. -Jeremy Clarkson

Bugeye Mafia Member #419

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Those are road legal?! I find that surprising.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I do as well. Judging by what I've read pretty much everywhere else, these are have brutal install, lighting, and fitment. The website says otherwise. However, I am not one to gamble so I'm trying to see if there's anything else out there.
    Speed never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you. -Jeremy Clarkson

Bugeye Mafia Member #419

Here's the YouTube video if you haven't seen them before. This video shows the uber-ricey ones with the LEDs. They're more expensive too (I'm guessing it's because they have a plastic cover like the OEM ones).

SPECDTUNING INSTALLATION VIDEO: 2002-2003 SUBARU WRX PROJECTOR HEADLIGHTS - YouTube

Bugeye Mafia Member #419

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    The only headlights I would run aside from stock (or modded stock) headlights are the EDM bugeye headlights. The way I see it, if I don't have the money saved up for EDM lights, then I don't have the money to change my headlights. They are on my list, but there are several things still ahead of new headlights that I have not purchased yet..

I personally would go with black housed headlights. Cost about 10 bucks and kills some time. If I were so spend a lot of money it would be edm or morettes.

@ MainFrame Well, I agree. Not sure if spending that dough on just headlights is worth it, so might just have to leave them. By the way, does anybody know how much a set of Morettes will run me? I do love them and so far, I've seen them priced cheaper than ProDrive or JDM/EDM headlights.

@AccordRanger There are always the simple plug and play black housing ones for like $150 on ebay that are worth a try. No halo rings of anything, just changing it up from stock.

Bugeye Mafia Member #419

I Support ClubWRX
    I might be willing to part with my Morettes. Feel free to PM me if you're interested.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by Subaru-Mopar-Luv View Post
    @AccordRanger There are always the simple plug and play black housing ones for like $150 on ebay that are worth a try. No halo rings of anything, just changing it up from stock.
    I try to stay away from headlights on eBay unless they are factory. I had one on my first car and the fitment was terrible. To get it properly adjusted it had to be turned down so much it was pushing on the bumper. Thy may be better quality now days though.