Blacked out Headlights 04 WRX DIY Project/Tutorial

This is a discussion on Blacked out Headlights 04 WRX DIY Project/Tutorial within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; This is a project of mine I've been planning on attempting for awhile now. My headlights were foggy and they ...

Blacked out Headlights 04 WRX DIY Project/Tutorial

This is a project of mine I've been planning on attempting for awhile now. My headlights were foggy and they needed to be fixed. I originally was just going to buy new headlights that were black instead of chrome. But Dimensions Lab is asking for $250 each headlight I can buy a Cobb Access port for that much stupid dimension lab. So I looked at what was so different from the stock headlights compared to the dimensions lab pair. All that is changed is the plastic piece around the light reflectors. So why not do it myself? How hard could it be? Well here's how it went

First thing's first, remove the headlights. Funny thing I found this to be the most difficult thing out of this entire project... Damn things wouldn't come out lol

Looks kinda cool without the lights or grill haha

Foggy and chrome, time to see what we can do. (Yes that's aunt Jemima's Syrup)

Next I removed the Rubber seals, Light bulbs, wires and screws (there should by 8 or 9). This is a must for what I'm about to do next.

Yep you guessed it, I am melting the sealant that keeps the clear plastic lens to the housing (by melt I just mean softening up)

Just put it on a cookie sheet and throw it in on the middle rack

I put it in @ 215*F for 13 minutes. Again remove any and all rubber, bulbs, wires etc etc. and make sure the lamps aren't touching the oven's walls... Dah

WEAR GLOVES... they're hot. Once out of the oven, pry the two pieces apart. Convince the prying with a flat head screw driver but be careful not to break the warm weak plastic. Also un-clip the clips at the bottom as well.

The headlights without the plastic covers remind me of the Chevy Sonic's headlights lol

Now unscrew the only bolt holding in the cover and separate

Next remove the orange reflectors and lens. There is a clear plastic lens at the to corner. DON'T TRY TO REMOVE IT, You'll crack the plastic. Just tape over it with masking tape so it doesn't get painted over.

Now we can finally paint, no need for preparation. I chose a satin black for mine, nothing special. Just apply 4 to 5 coats of paint and you'll be fine

After one coat, already looks sick! Just be careful you don't get any runs.

Now I don't have a picture showing, but I chose to paint my side reflectors black, the less orange the better if you ask me lol.

Here's the comparison, looks cool IMO

You can see there's no more orange on the sides

Now put JUST the plastic lens and the housing back in the oven for 13mins. @ 215F. Once done put the painted product into the plastic lens and sandwich everything together.

Here's the final product Of course my headlights are still foggy, but that's what I'm changing next!!!

Thanks to Mothers Polish for headlights! Nice and clear

It was hard to get an angle where you can see the black and not the reflection from the sky, stupid camera. This picture shows it fairly well

Awesome project complete! Took me a solid 5 hours to do and I can't wait to start another project Subaru's rock \m/

Any questions and I'd be happy to help

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Nice work man! Looks good.
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

Quote Originally Posted by xFalleNx View Post
    Nice work man! Looks good.
    Thanks! Putting the headlights in the oven was a bit sketchy but I think it turned out well

any cloudiness at all on the inside?

What paint did you use here?

Quote Originally Posted by WRBBoost View Post
    any cloudiness at all on the inside?
    Nope Although I had to buy a head light restoration kit because the owner of this car before me never took care of the cloudiness lol

Quote Originally Posted by Cheets View Post
    What paint did you use here?
    Just regular spray paint, nothing fancy. It was a flat black paint meant for outdoor plastics like lawn chairs or something, It's been awhile since the project, my headlights look fine still I would recommend getting some high temperature friendly paint, just because I'm sure in the summer those headlights can get baked. We'll find out lol

Im going to try this! Maybe on my next day off. Ill put up before and after pics as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheets View Post
    Im going to try this! Maybe on my next day off. Ill put up before and after pics as well.
    Awesome! Can't wait to see the results!