HID install
Results 1 to 13 of 13

This is a discussion on HID install within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a set of HIDs that im wanting to install in the headlights and i got to lookin around ...

  1. #1
    Registered User BEASTmode632's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Matthews, NC
    Posts
    120

    Question HID install

    I have a set of HIDs that im wanting to install in the headlights and i got to lookin around and it looks like its gonna be a pain! any tips or tricks to get them installed?
    2010 Subaru Impreza WRX Hatch
    Mods : Yakima Roof Rack, Perrin catted DP, Perrin CAI, Perrin shifter bushings, Perrin AP stage 2, Ebay/Custom 3" cat back, carbon Subaru emblems, blacked out tail lights, Cobb STS, Raceland Coilovers

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Registered User jimbo058's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs, Colorado
    Posts
    114
    Go here: Impreza and WRX HID Installation Guide - Subaru WRX Forum: WRX Forums

    Good luck ... took me a couple of hours, but the end result was nice and bright !!!

  4. #3
    Luke Skywalker Mikie13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Palmyra, NJ
    Posts
    20,616
    You'll need a retrofit to adequately and legally run HIDs in your headlights.

    Refer to theretrofitsource.com or lightwerkz.com for further details.

    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

  5. #4
    Registered User drkhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Amherst, MA
    Posts
    171
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo058 View Post
    Go here: Impreza and WRX HID Installation Guide - Subaru WRX Forum: WRX Forums

    Good luck ... took me a couple of hours, but the end result was nice and bright !!!
    FYI, your link is not dead. But the installation guide link on that page is dead.

    Also agree with you though. Either retrofit or don't bother with HIDs at all.

    If retrofitting is too much of a task for the OP, you might want to consider the h9 conversion. H11 to H9 conversion. DIY with temps - NASIOC
    Last edited by drkhead; 01-11-2013 at 01:07 PM. Reason: wrong quote

  6. #5
    Registered User BEASTmode632's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Matthews, NC
    Posts
    120
    well thats a bummer. why could i not just run the H11 hids i have?
    I only have them because they came out of another car i had before.
    2010 Subaru Impreza WRX Hatch
    Mods : Yakima Roof Rack, Perrin catted DP, Perrin CAI, Perrin shifter bushings, Perrin AP stage 2, Ebay/Custom 3" cat back, carbon Subaru emblems, blacked out tail lights, Cobb STS, Raceland Coilovers

  7. #6
    Registered User BEASTmode632's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Matthews, NC
    Posts
    120
    what would be illegal about having HIDs?
    2010 Subaru Impreza WRX Hatch
    Mods : Yakima Roof Rack, Perrin catted DP, Perrin CAI, Perrin shifter bushings, Perrin AP stage 2, Ebay/Custom 3" cat back, carbon Subaru emblems, blacked out tail lights, Cobb STS, Raceland Coilovers

  8. #7
    He simply abides. SD_GR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    CA, US
    Posts
    22,207
    I Support ClubWRX

    HID install

    Quote Originally Posted by BEASTmode632 View Post
    what would be illegal about having HIDs?
    The HIDs.

    If you are in the US and driving on public roads your lighting must meet DOT specs. The aftermarket HIDs do not.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

  9. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    nj
    Posts
    71
    alot of people will try and srangle you for putting drop in HIDs in your car instead of doing a retrofit. the key is not to buy the brightest ones you can get your hands on. i have installed dozens of drop ins and havent had any problems. the key is to use the 35 watt ones. they throw very good light that will reflect on signs better, and at the same time not blind anyone. for your car the install is easy but tight. the kit you have MUST have a rubber grommit around the wires that will enter the headlight housing. you need to drill a hole in the screw on cup (or dust cover whatever it is) that you remove to get to the bulb. use a unibit or a holesaw. after that just slip the wires through the hole and sit the rubber grommit into the hole sealing it up. if you dont have the rubber grommit you will get condensation in the housing. other than that it should be plug and play.

  10. #9
    Registered User 99pgpgt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    251

    Re: HID install

    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    The HIDs.

    If you are in the US and driving on public roads your lighting must meet DOT specs. The aftermarket HIDs do not.
    While this is true.

    I guarantee unless a cop is a complete **** head, you will never get pulled over for your lights. The chances of them being seen as illegal to the police is slim to none.

  11. #10
    KHP
    KHP is offline
    Registered User KHP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Posts
    752
    Quote Originally Posted by 99pgpgt View Post
    While this is true.

    I guarantee unless a cop is a complete **** head, you will never get pulled over for your lights. The chances of them being seen as illegal to the police is slim to none.

    While it's true that illegal HID enforcement is lax. I would love to drive at night without every other car with Plug and Play HID's blinding me. Illegal installations are very easy to spot . Not being pulled over is not an excuse to install them where they should not go. They are illegal for a reason that it reduces road safety for everyone.
    Last edited by KHP; 02-17-2013 at 01:05 PM.
    2011 WRX Limited Spark Silver (5 Door)

  12. #11
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Rambo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Denial
    Posts
    4,798
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by njandy View Post
    alot of people will try and srangle you for putting drop in HIDs in your car instead of doing a retrofit. the key is not to buy the brightest ones you can get your hands on. i have installed dozens of drop ins and havent had any problems. the key is to use the 35 watt ones. they throw very good light that will reflect on signs better, and at the same time not blind anyone. for your car the install is easy but tight. the kit you have MUST have a rubber grommit around the wires that will enter the headlight housing. you need to drill a hole in the screw on cup (or dust cover whatever it is) that you remove to get to the bulb. use a unibit or a holesaw. after that just slip the wires through the hole and sit the rubber grommit into the hole sealing it up. if you dont have the rubber grommit you will get condensation in the housing. other than that it should be plug and play.
    Do you have any real data to support these claims? It's pure optical physics. Due to the HID filament design, the focal point is shifted from the intended halogen bulb, causing the HID light to scatter much more quickly past the headlight. This is what blinds other drivers, but also (rather ironically) gives you LESS light down the road.

    A proper retrofit with DOT-certified OEM HID components is the only way to do this safely. It's still techincally illegal, as that particular hardware hasn't specifically been certified in a WRX, but you'll have a properly focused beam, maximizing safe light output within the legal beam pattern specifications. You will not blind oncoming traffic.

    I wish those dumb HID kits had never been produced...
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.38×10-23

    He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

  13. #12
    Master Baiter EJ257's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    On a stream bank somewhere
    Posts
    19,642
    I Support ClubWRX
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

    Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

    "Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

    UNYSOC

  14. #13
    Registered User Jonny1106's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Posts
    263
    RETROFIT IT! Period! I did it and am VERY pleased. I bought some sti projectors, bulbs, and ballasts to retrofit. It was a direct bolt on and plug in.
    2012 SWP 5door Premium!!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •