HID install

This is a discussion on HID install within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a set of HIDs that im wanting to install in the headlights and i got to lookin around ...

Question HID install

I have a set of HIDs that im wanting to install in the headlights and i got to lookin around and it looks like its gonna be a pain! any tips or tricks to get them installed?
    2010 Subaru Impreza WRX Hatch
    Mods : Yakima Roof Rack, Perrin catted DP, Perrin CAI, Perrin shifter bushings, Perrin AP stage 2, Ebay/Custom 3" cat back, carbon Subaru emblems, blacked out tail lights, Cobb STS, Raceland Coilovers

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Go here: Impreza and WRX HID Installation Guide - Subaru WRX Forum: WRX Forums

Good luck ... took me a couple of hours, but the end result was nice and bright !!!

You'll need a retrofit to adequately and legally run HIDs in your headlights.

Refer to theretrofitsource.com or lightwerkz.com for further details.

The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo058 View Post
    Go here: Impreza and WRX HID Installation Guide - Subaru WRX Forum: WRX Forums

Good luck ... took me a couple of hours, but the end result was nice and bright !!!
    FYI, your link is not dead. But the installation guide link on that page is dead.

Also agree with you though. Either retrofit or don't bother with HIDs at all.

If retrofitting is too much of a task for the OP, you might want to consider the h9 conversion. H11 to H9 conversion. DIY with temps - NASIOC
    Last edited by drkhead; 01-11-2013 at 01:07 PM. Reason: wrong quote

well thats a bummer. why could i not just run the H11 hids i have?
    I only have them because they came out of another car i had before.
    Mods : Yakima Roof Rack, Perrin catted DP, Perrin CAI, Perrin shifter bushings, Perrin AP stage 2, Ebay/Custom 3" cat back, carbon Subaru emblems, blacked out tail lights, Cobb STS, Raceland Coilovers

what would be illegal about having HIDs?

I Support ClubWRX

HID install

Quote Originally Posted by BEASTmode632 View Post
    what would be illegal about having HIDs?
    The HIDs.

If you are in the US and driving on public roads your lighting must meet DOT specs. The aftermarket HIDs do not.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

alot of people will try and srangle you for putting drop in HIDs in your car instead of doing a retrofit. the key is not to buy the brightest ones you can get your hands on. i have installed dozens of drop ins and havent had any problems. the key is to use the 35 watt ones. they throw very good light that will reflect on signs better, and at the same time not blind anyone. for your car the install is easy but tight. the kit you have MUST have a rubber grommit around the wires that will enter the headlight housing. you need to drill a hole in the screw on cup (or dust cover whatever it is) that you remove to get to the bulb. use a unibit or a holesaw. after that just slip the wires through the hole and sit the rubber grommit into the hole sealing it up. if you dont have the rubber grommit you will get condensation in the housing. other than that it should be plug and play.

Re: HID install

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    The HIDs.

If you are in the US and driving on public roads your lighting must meet DOT specs. The aftermarket HIDs do not.
    While this is true.

I guarantee unless a cop is a complete **** head, you will never get pulled over for your lights. The chances of them being seen as illegal to the police is slim to none.

KHP
    Quote Originally Posted by 99pgpgt View Post
    While this is true.

I guarantee unless a cop is a complete **** head, you will never get pulled over for your lights. The chances of them being seen as illegal to the police is slim to none.

While it's true that illegal HID enforcement is lax. I would love to drive at night without every other car with Plug and Play HID's blinding me. Illegal installations are very easy to spot . Not being pulled over is not an excuse to install them where they should not go. They are illegal for a reason that it reduces road safety for everyone.
    Last edited by KHP; 02-17-2013 at 01:05 PM.
    2011 WRX Limited Spark Silver (5 Door)

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by njandy View Post
    alot of people will try and srangle you for putting drop in HIDs in your car instead of doing a retrofit. the key is not to buy the brightest ones you can get your hands on. i have installed dozens of drop ins and havent had any problems. the key is to use the 35 watt ones. they throw very good light that will reflect on signs better, and at the same time not blind anyone. for your car the install is easy but tight. the kit you have MUST have a rubber grommit around the wires that will enter the headlight housing. you need to drill a hole in the screw on cup (or dust cover whatever it is) that you remove to get to the bulb. use a unibit or a holesaw. after that just slip the wires through the hole and sit the rubber grommit into the hole sealing it up. if you dont have the rubber grommit you will get condensation in the housing. other than that it should be plug and play.
    Do you have any real data to support these claims? It's pure optical physics. Due to the HID filament design, the focal point is shifted from the intended halogen bulb, causing the HID light to scatter much more quickly past the headlight. This is what blinds other drivers, but also (rather ironically) gives you LESS light down the road.

A proper retrofit with DOT-certified OEM HID components is the only way to do this safely. It's still techincally illegal, as that particular hardware hasn't specifically been certified in a WRX, but you'll have a properly focused beam, maximizing safe light output within the legal beam pattern specifications. You will not blind oncoming traffic.

I wish those dumb HID kits had never been produced...
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.38×10-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

I Support ClubWRX
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

RETROFIT IT! Period! I did it and am VERY pleased. I bought some sti projectors, bulbs, and ballasts to retrofit. It was a direct bolt on and plug in.
    2012 SWP 5door Premium!!!