2012 WRX - Cracked front bumper - Options?

This is a discussion on 2012 WRX - Cracked front bumper - Options? within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Well this sucks. I noticed the other day the lower front right of my bumper is cracked. We've had some ...

2012 WRX - Cracked front bumper - Options?

Well this sucks. I noticed the other day the lower front right of my bumper is cracked. We've had some heavy snow that turned to thick ice and I had to drive over some nasty chunks these last few days. One of them must have hit hard enough to crack the bumper.

What options do I have? Is the bumper going to need to be completely repplaced or is there a way to repair it? How much do front bumpers go for? Just trying to gauge how much this will cost me to replace.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

There is no way to repair a cracked front bumper cover. It will run you $800-1000 to get a new one. This breaks down to roughly $250-300 in parts and $550-700 in labor.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    that's not exactly true. They can be repaired if there is someone in your area that is able to do plasic welding.

However, as this would still require painting to be done, there is likely very little cost savings as a new unpainted bumper cover is right around $200. It all depends on how bad the crack is, and how much local shops are charging for labor.

Word of advice most that have had to replace a bumper cover follow.....after the replacement, get a lip...the Bayson R lip is only like $120 (cheaper if bought through their e-bay store!) and can save the bumper from damage in many cases.
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

I think that might have actually helped. Too late now. I was wondering if I should use a epoxy to temporarily hold it together until I can have it replaced.

You can use plastic epoxy to fix it. I've fixed many covers this way with great results. Drill a hole at the end of the crack to prevent it from walking. Also slightly bevel the edges the entire length of the crack before applying epoxy.

do you happen to know which one of these lips will effectively fit a 2010 WRX? i'm only seeing ones for the STI and have been told that they will not fit the WRX due to a wider front bumper on the STIs. "YOUR THOUGHTS?!" *Harry Caray voice*

Quote Originally Posted by DemonWRX View Post
    that's not exactly true. They can be repaired if there is someone in your area that is able to do plasic welding.

However, as this would still require painting to be done, there is likely very little cost savings as a new unpainted bumper cover is right around $200. It all depends on how bad the crack is, and how much local shops are charging for labor.

Word of advice most that have had to replace a bumper cover follow.....after the replacement, get a lip...the Bayson R lip is only like $120 (cheaper if bought through their e-bay store!) and can save the bumper from damage in many cases.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by commbubba19 View Post
    I think that might have actually helped. Too late now. I was wondering if I should use a epoxy to temporarily hold it together until I can have it replaced.
    just drill holes on the sides of the crack and run zip ties through like stitches for now, a lot easier than epoxy plus you get that formula d look!
    -Clayton, Your official CLUBWRX Subaru Dealer!
    CLUBWRX New car buying program SAVE HUGE on new Subarus:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...ubwrx-net.html
    Ask a Subaru Dealer thread:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/car-pu...ru-dealer.html
    FREE 3rd party vehicle inspections:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...spections.html

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by subie_riegs View Post
    do you happen to know which one of these lips will effectively fit a 2010 WRX? i'm only seeing ones for the STI and have been told that they will not fit the WRX due to a wider front bumper on the STIs. "YOUR THOUGHTS?!" *Harry Caray voice*
    sadly no. the best I can suggest would be to contact Bayson R and ask if they make a lip for the non-STi 08-10.
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

Same problem here. Hit an invisible curb in the snow, split my lip in half and had an inch long crack on the bumper. I was able to epoxy the lip but the bumper did not take it too well. I'm thinking the epoxy didn't hold or mold well enough due to the cold weather. Went to a body shop and quoted me $400+tax for plastic welding and painting. The guy said it would look brand new and for that price I think it's fairly reasonable. I may try to do the zip tie approach coz I don't have the money yet.
    2012 DGM WRX Base

Mines been cracked for a year on the drivers side. I'd just leave it cracked because if you drive a lot it's just going to happen again at some point in time, might a well just use it to give your car some character.

I just noticed yesterday that i popped the clips that hold the bumper to the fender liner in the passenger wheel well as well.

Ordered replacements.

If I was 18, I might do the zip tie stitching thing haha. But I'm old so I'll just get it fixed next spring. I found the cover online for $200 but not including shipping or the labor involved swapping the bumper.