How to install tow hooks? (not just for looks)

This is a discussion on How to install tow hooks? (not just for looks) within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So we Pennsylvanians just got about an inch of snow near Allentown last night. Every year my friends go on ...

So we Pennsylvanians just got about an inch of snow near Allentown last night. Every year my friends go on these fire trails near the Blue Mountains and rip around with their vehicles. My one friend has a Forester, the other has an EVO and the other uses his F150 to pull us out if we get stuck lol.

Well I've played passenger for 2 years now and seen all but the truck get stuck at some point (gravel road with snow too slippery for traction with just street treads lol)

This year (back in October) I finally got my favorite car! A 2004 WRX (sedan) and I can't wait to go run with my buds on the trails

One problem though... They all have these tow hooks... Front and back, huge rings.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$(KGrHqN,!n0FBZnQPO)sBQpRnEJ+E!~~60_35.JPG 
Views:	76 
Size:	38.2 KB 
ID:	110633

So for Christmas my friends said that I will need them and they bought me a pair for X-mas. One problem I can't figure out how or where to install them

I've looked everywhere, I think I have an idea how to install the rear tow hook, but I would like to have the front as well. Can someone please shed some light on my situation before I go out there on the trails

Much appreciated

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX

If that is the exact kit you bought, I don't think that will work. The front hook on Subarus is hidden behind a small body work flap on the bumper. Remove the flap, and there's a large 16mm(?) socket. Dig through your spare tire tools, and you'll find a D-ring mounted to a large bolt that screws into place on the front.

On the rear, look under the rear bumper for loop bolted to the frame.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    If that is the exact kit you bought, I don't think that will work. The front hook on Subarus is hidden behind a small body work flap on the bumper. Remove the flap, and there's a large 16mm(?) socket. Dig through your spare tire tools, and you'll find a D-ring mounted to a large bolt that screws into place on the front.

On the rear, look under the rear bumper for loop bolted to the frame.
    Thanks dude, I'll return them and look for the other set