Winter Wheel and Tire install (with Pics) - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Winter Wheel and Tire install (with Pics) within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Meh, I wish steelies cleared STi brakes. Still on the search for Honda CR-V wheels...

Meh, I wish steelies cleared STi brakes. Still on the search for Honda CR-V wheels

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    Is there a fuse to the TPMS that could be pulled? My '03 doesn't have TPMS (thankfully), but it seems like there's something you ought to be able to do about the indicator...
    Good question... I'm not sure. I'll check on that and get back to you
    2013 SWP WRX 5-Door
    2005 OBP WRX 4-Door SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by kDizz781 View Post
    Too much work/money just to keep a light off for 3-4 months.
    Is there a fuse to the TPMS that could be pulled? My '03 doesn't have TPMS (thankfully), but it seems like there's something you ought to be able to do about the indicator...
    Quote Originally Posted by rurso01 View Post
    Good question... I'm not sure. I'll check on that and get back to you
    There is an easy way to get rid of the tpms light. Check this thread. ...which reminds me, I need to update that with my final solution to the problem.
    - Dave

2012 pbp WRX premium

I Support ClubWRX

Re: Winter Wheel and Tire install (with Pics)

There is an easy solution to the TPMS light. It's a bit of strategically placed electrical tape. You don't have to fix what you don't see.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I have the exact same set up on my 2011 WRX. They work great in the snow, but not so well otherwise. I find them very unstable on the highway and get uncomfortable going over 60 mph. I've tried playing with the tire pressure, but it hasn't helped. I have a garage - so I only throw them on when it snows and then take them off when the roads are clear (takes me about 10 mins).
    2011 Subaru Impreza WRX (Premium) | EFI Logics Tuned Stage 3 | Cobb SF CAI | Invidia EL Race Header | Cobb Catted Downpipe | Borla CBE | PW TMIC | Grimmspeed EBCS | Grimmspeed AOS | DW 65C Fuel Pump | Grimmspeed Light Weight Pulley | SPT Short Shifter | JNA Front Lip | EPIC Performance Springs | SMY Cluster w/ Boost & Oil Pressure

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    There is an easy solution to the TPMS light. It's a bit of strategically placed electrical tape. You don't have to fix what you don't see.
    I did use electrical tape. I just took the typical fix an extra step or two. I'll post an update in the thread I linked to earlier.
    - Dave

2012 pbp WRX premium

I Support ClubWRX
    I did some digging around, and found this solution to TPMS woes:

someone stuck his TPMS sensors in a pressurized PVC tube and just zip tied that to the bottom of the car and never worried about it again
    That would be one non-invasive way of dealing with the problem...
    I also read that the TPMS indicator will force the traction control ON no matter what the switch is set to in some cars. I don't know how many people with 3Gs drive with the TC off, especially on winter wheels, but I'd be curious to see if Subarus work this way.
    Last edited by Rambo; 12-20-2012 at 11:53 AM.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.38×10-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

sprung for these

Ordered new wheel/winter-tire package from TireRack at 1PM yesterday. Returned home this AM at 10:30 AM and found these waiting - just over 20 hours order to dooryard delivery - TR rocks. Skipped the TPMS and put em on - much easier than on my Audi only took a little over an hour and I didn't hustle. High pressure cast with 3 yr finish warranty with mediocre Firestones and heres the part I like, $831 shipped which is only a little bit more than the steelies. I know I probably could have saved by going used but tires and wheels used make me nervous. So, went new instead.

I know it's dirty but that tire change was enough for an old man in one day!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1544.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	126.9 KB 
ID:	110505Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1545.jpg 
Size:	115.1 KB 
ID:	110506Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1546.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	146.5 KB 
ID:	110507Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1547.jpg 
Size:	70.9 KB 
ID:	110508Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1548.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	110509

I also read that the TPMS indicator will force the traction control ON no matter what the switch is set to in some cars.
    As far as the traction control, I haven't tried turning it off since putting the winter tire setup on the car. I'll try it today on the way home and let you know.

Quote Originally Posted by BMOC View Post
    ... heres the part I like, $831 shipped which is only a little bit more than the steelies.
    Looks good! and sounds like you got a good deal too...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by BMOC View Post
    $831 shipped which is only a little bit more than the steelies.
    Yeah, I think my snow tires and steelies were around $750 installed, so $831 is no bad at all. Great find!
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.38×10-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

Oh. My. God...those are hideous. (personal opinion)...

But, glad you got a good deal and quick delivery!
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

That would be one non-invasive way of dealing with the problem...
    I also read that the TPMS indicator will force the traction control ON no matter what the switch is set to in some cars. I don't know how many people with 3Gs drive with the TC off, especially on winter wheels, but I'd be curious to see if Subarus work this way.
    I've also come across this: Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com - View Single Post - How to defeat the TPMS
    A little more drastic.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

As promised, I updated the thread I linked to earlier with my tpms fix for those that are interested.
    - Dave

2012 pbp WRX premium

I Support ClubWRX
    30Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0574.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	107.9 KB 
ID:	110731Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0576.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	130.8 KB 
ID:	110732

Since TPMS does NOT apply to cars in Canada, I was able to change without worrying.

However, since I am cheap when it comes to dealing with winter tires and wheels...I settled for used from a fellow WRX enthusiast.

This is my 09 WRX and I managed to score 17" alloy rims from an 07 WRX and the guy that sold em already had mounted the Toyo Observe G02 Plus tires with hardly a season of use. A simple visual inspection was enough to settle my nerves. Tires still had factory color marks in the treadwalls. $500 for the set of rim/tires...and installed at a known corner garage for $30. (total damage...$530)

The tire performs with bite on ice and snow...but they do not hold very well in wet or dry conditions if pushing through a turn. However, stability in all windy or adverse conditions are unchanged. Car still feels solid on these tires. They are 205/50 - 17.

OP I have the same exact set up. Great tire in the snow. It's cool being the only car on the road with all the people in giant trucks.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast