Wheel paint/Powder coating

This is a discussion on Wheel paint/Powder coating within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; What are some of you guy's opinions on either? I'm planning on painting my wheels maybe this weekend gold or ...

Wheel paint/Powder coating

What are some of you guy's opinions on either? I'm planning on painting my wheels maybe this weekend gold or black if I don't get a good quote on powdercoating.
    Just asking for advice on best wheel paint to use
    And if anyone has powdercoat how much did it cost you?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9454.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	89.4 KB 
ID:	110397Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9458.jpg 
Size:	67.0 KB 
ID:	110398Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9462.jpg 
Size:	100.0 KB 
ID:	110399I powder coated my wheels gloss black. Much more durable than paint, but more expensive. Mine were $400 for all four wheels, but they also fixed my nasty curb rash as well. They came out mint. Worth every penny to me because they are basically like new wheels. I plan on only using them as winter wheels and possibly getting new summer wheels this spring. But if I change my mind these will look awesome with a set of super sports on them
    Last edited by 11blackSTi; 12-16-2012 at 05:57 PM.

Nice man, that does look pretty sick. And only 400? That's not too bad, especially since they repaired it as well

I bought a set of STi five spoke oem wheels as my winters and got them powdercoated matte black for $200 for all 4
    Shown here:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1864.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	101.8 KB 
ID:	110402

getting ready to put them on this week with 235-40 R18 blizzaks

powdercoating is much more durable.. if you have the cash have em powdercoated
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I Support ClubWRX
    or if you dont know which color you want, and you still want a good finish plasti dip the wheels for like 7 bucks a wheel
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by nsibanez View Post
    Nice man, that does look pretty sick. And only 400? That's not too bad, especially since they repaired it as well
    Yep I thought it was a great deal. My wheels had to be stripped (to remove the paint because if you powder coat over that it won't be as durable and won't adhere as well), then some sandblasted to create a grippy surface, and ground down to get curb rash off, and then two coats of powder. I actually didn't realize there was a coating over the stock STI (2011) wheel before I did this.

You can get it done much cheaper. He told me that if I didn't want them stripped/blasted/grinded, he would have done it for $50/wheel.

I didn't know there was a difference between painting and powdercoating. What makes it different the material or the application?

I Support ClubWRX
    Both material and application. Paint is just, well, painted on. Powder coat is a special powder that is sprayed on with a powder coating gun and then put in an oven room and at a certain temperature it bakes, and the begins to "run," or melt. Then it cools off and a solid surface is formed. Powder coat is much more durable.