Fog Lights - OEM / Aftermarket
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Fog Lights - OEM / Aftermarket within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I am picking my car up soon, and since I ordered the car in early Nov., the fog lights option ...

I Support ClubWRX

Fog Lights - OEM / Aftermarket

I am picking my car up soon, and since I ordered the car in early Nov., the fog lights option has been made available on the 2013 WRX base model. It was not an option when I ordered it.

Here's what I would like help with:

1. Are the OEM's any good? Worth the money? I'd be negotiating with the salesman when I go to take delivery.

2. For aftermarket foglights, has anyone tried these: Blinglights
    - Is there a better option? (I've read some other threads and see that Hella is a good option)

I asked someone at that company if the kit comes with the bezel / surround, and he said no. But I could buy that bezel from Subaru, or cut out a hole in the non-fog light bezel that comes with the car.

I've read a couple of the fog-light threads but I didn't see that anyone had tried this brand. They "look" cool, with the driving and fog light options included, but obviously, they could be garbage too.
    Last edited by Hank_VA; 12-07-2012 at 12:08 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    The dealer you are dealing with shouldn't be in business.

The fog lights were always an option with the base model. The OEM fog light kit comes with everything you need to install them on the car including the surround that comes in the color of your choice. The car is pre wired ,so install is a breeze.

No clue about those you posted. HIDs in fogs is never a good idea.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    The dealer you are dealing with shouldn't be in business.

The fog lights were always an option with the base model. The OEM fog light kit comes with everything you need to install them on the car including the surround that comes in the color of your choice. The car is pre wired ,so install is a breeze.

No clue about those you posted. HIDs in fogs is never a good idea.
    That's weird ... when was doing research, it looked like you could only get them if you ordered a premium or limited. Maybe I overlooked something ... but you are right. I did ask my salesman about it and he seemed to echo my findings. Maybe he was just being lazy.

Thanks, Rage.

I Support ClubWRX
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

1. There are many threads on nasioc about this. The general consensus there seems to be that the fogs are mostly aesthetic but I'd take that with a grain of salt since in my experience people treat fogs like driving lights and don't realize that fog lights are not meant to throw light a long way ahead, just low and wide to illuminate the road.

2.The lights you posted seem to be both driving and fog lights. I highly doubt that they are any good as a fog or driving lamp since those are two very different jobs. Those lights will put light out but not likely in a way that makes true fogs useful in fog, nor will they have a true driving pattern. I would say pass on those lights and get OEM if you want/need fogs.

Or negotiate for just the fog bezels uninstalled and then look into a reputable light manufacturer like Hella or PIAA and install the largest light you can fit/afford that is not HID and retrofit them into the bumper cover and bezels.

Can somebody please help me? I have an 05 impreza and i need some help because i do not know how to change the bulbs in my fog lights. Can any one show me a diagram or some sort of instruction?

Quote Originally Posted by Imprezack View Post
    Can somebody please help me? I have an 05 impreza and i need some help because i do not know how to change the bulbs in my fog lights. Can any one show me a diagram or some sort of instruction?
    Almost all general maintenance has been well documented and is just a search away.
    2004 ( 04 '04) foglight ( fog ) bulb replacement
    This is for an 04 wrx but should be the same as your car.

I Support ClubWRX
    I think it was Rage that posted a while back about the difference between driving lights and fog lights. I think for my use, I would be needing driving lights ... which leaves me thinking that throwing money at the subie fog light kit would be a waste. I would like the surrounds though, for a good set of driving lights.

The Hella 500's were mentioned previously, but there are no dimensions on the site to speak of. It doesn't look like they will fit into that subie surround.

Quote Originally Posted by Hank_VA View Post
    That's weird ... when was doing research, it looked like you could only get them if you ordered a premium or limited. Maybe I overlooked something ... but you are right. I did ask my salesman about it and he seemed to echo my findings. Maybe he was just being lazy.

Thanks, Rage.
    My [moron] salesman tried to sell me everything including the brooklyn bridge, but also didn't realize that the fogs could be loaded onto my base either.

Personally, I could care less. Of all the cars I've driven with fog lights, not a damn one actually made a difference for me. The last car I had didn't even have adjustable lenses and neither of the light patterns were even in my field of vision. I ended up getting a light bar with PIAA driving lights (hardwired for quad high beams).

I personally prefer driving lights than fogs, but certainly see the benefit of light within 10 feet of my hood... I would admit that I like the looks of them, but half of me feels that they block up the look of the "vent" there as well.

One question though, are the WRX/STi fogs adjustable?
    Last edited by drkhead; 12-07-2012 at 01:09 PM.

The 500s are what is on my car in my avatar. they WILL NOT come close to fitting in that surround. I would look at their smaller offerings like the Hella micro DE. Also driving lights mounted that low are more or less useless.
    NASIOC - View Single Post - The Ultimate Auxiliary Lighting and Mount Thread
    Those lights are obviously poorly aimed but that is an idea of the beam pattern you will achieve with driving lights so low. Driving lights should be mounted at or above headlight level, my small driving lights at the license plate are just high enough to get decent throw out of them but ideally I would mount them higher.

Quote Originally Posted by SKI.WRX View Post
    The 500s are what is on my car in my avatar. they WILL NOT come close to fitting in that surround. I would look at their smaller offerings like the Hella micro DE. Also driving lights mounted that low are more or less useless.
    NASIOC - View Single Post - The Ultimate Auxiliary Lighting and Mount Thread
    Those lights are obviously poorly aimed but that is an idea of the beam pattern you will achieve with driving lights so low. Driving lights should be mounted at or above headlight level, my small driving lights at the license plate are just high enough to get decent throw out of them but ideally I would mount them higher.
    I'm jealous of your large fog wells there so you can put 500s.... exactly what I would want.

The Bugeyes definitely got the best bumper for upgrading lights haha I have seen people finagle FF1000's in there before as well.

I wouldn't buy anything from a company called "Blinglights," dawg.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    I wouldn't buy anything from a company called "Blinglights," dawg.
    That makes damned good sense ...

@SKI.WRX

I see that!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast