Tait light tint: Suggestions?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Tait light tint: Suggestions? within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm looking into tinting/smoking out the tail lights on my 2012 WRB WRX Limited, but I'm not sure the best ...

I'm looking into tinting/smoking out the tail lights on my 2012 WRB WRX Limited, but I'm not sure the best way to approach it. I've read many threads about possible ways to do it - coat the inner light itself with Nightshades, etc., but also using film such as bluebatmobile to achieve a similar look. I'm not looking for a complete black-out, just a nice smoky appearance.

My questions are as follows: which method have you used? What are your experiences with installation? And finally, which would you recommend?

Any pictures are greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance!

-Steve

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

some members will tell you for that your safety, and the safety of others, dont tint your taillights no matter how dark because it does negatively impact the illumination. plus it also gives other the mpression that our cars are the bad street racer crowd of people with blacked out lights and loud exhaust.

me personally i do have tinted tails despite all the negatives. why? because i like them and its my car.

i used vht night shade from the local autoparts store and only did one coat of it. heres pics of mine

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruh Roh View Post
    me personally i do have tinted tails despite all the negatives. why? because i don't like cops to see me hitting my brakes after I fly past them
    fixored!

It is silly to tint them in my opinion. Asking for a surprise in the rear end. I wish we had brfatal back for a bit for this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

"me personally i do have tinted tails despite all the negatives. why? because i don't like cops to see me hitting my brakes after I fly past them"

true story lol

but heres a pic of mine with just my lights on, not on the brakes i belive in the day time. so u still can see them, and i asked whoever was behind me and they said they had no problem seeing them

Quote Originally Posted by Ruh Roh View Post
    some members will tell you for that your safety, and the safety of others, dont tint your taillights no matter how dark because it does negatively impact the illumination. plus it also gives other the mpression that our cars are the bad street racer crowd of people with blacked out lights and loud exhaust.

me personally i do have tinted tails despite all the negatives. why? because i like them and its my car.

i used vht night shade from the local autoparts store and only did one coat of it. heres pics of mine

Thank you for your input. How difficult was it to remove the light unit from the body of the car? In addition, I've also heard vht nightshades is almost impossible to remove. Do you have any experience with this?

did not remove light just taped it off and had paper al around it to protect from overspray. if i ever do another set ill just take them off..not sure why that didnt cross my mind at the time lol. and not sure about removal. the only prep i did was clean them very well. i want to take the tint off. i was thinking of trying paint thinner and arm power. ive heard gasoline works too. but never tried.

use black krylon fusion. go big or go home.

Quote Originally Posted by Phobic View Post
    use black krylon fusion. go big or go home.
    works great on plastic

I Support ClubWRX
    Oh, one of these threads...

Sorry OP, but taillight tint discussions are one of the few touchy subjects on here. You might need one of these for later:

Last edited by Rambo; 12-06-2012 at 12:17 PM.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Looks like someone rubbed pewp in your tail-lamps Mark. You might want to clean that before it starts smelling really bad...
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

its my pewp, it smells like cinnamon.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SubieDoo0531 View Post
    Do not do it.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Bought gun smoke tint overlays for mine from lamin-x and plan on installing on Saturday. I'll upload pictures for you to see before/after. I however, have a hatch. The beauty of lamin-x is removal is so easy to do you pull right off and remove the little left over residue with bug/tar remover. Very much a non permanent solution to this mod.
    2013 SWP WRX 5-Door
    2005 OBP WRX 4-Door SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by rurso01 View Post
    Bought gun smoke tint overlays for mine from lamin-x and plan on installing on Saturday. I'll upload pictures for you to see before/after. I however, have a hatch. The beauty of lamin-x is removal is so easy to do you pull right off and remove the little left over residue with bug/tar remover. Very much a non permanent solution to this mod.
    That would be awesome! I really appreciate that. I'd love to see/hear how it goes.

Here is a link to the thread about my install:

Lamin-x tint installed PICTURES
    2013 SWP WRX 5-Door
    2005 OBP WRX 4-Door SOLD

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.