Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Option #1

4 22.22%
  • Option #2

14 77.78%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Gauging Interest: 2011+ Sedan wrx/sti diffuser within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Fiberglass or carbon fiber?...

Fiberglass or carbon fiber?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I would do black 150-250

I Support ClubWRX

Re: Gauging Interest: 2011+ Sedan wrx/sti diffuser

Well you said fiberglass or carbon. How much were you thinking

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Yeah I would stick with fiberglass

At the moment I'm considering 400 for fiberglass painted black, and I still need to price out the materials for carbon fiber.

I have decided on the pricing. For a fiberglass piece painted black, it will be 350. In the beginning i plan on ordering enough material to make 20 pieces. The carbin fiber version will be 550. I thnk these prices are fair for what you are getting, and an absolute steal for the carbon fiber version. I plan on ordering enough material to make 10 carbon fiberr units AFTER i have made all of the fiberglass units. This saturday i plan on making the positive plug for the mold and hopefully complete it, and in the next coming wheel make the negative mold and hopefully by then ill be ready to start making parts. i will make a new thread when i start on making the positive mold and ill figure out how you will be able to reserve yours for once it is completed. If you have any suggestions please post them up. Also if any moderator has a problem with me posting this please inform me and i will get a vendor membership and make a new thread.

ok guys time for an update. First off, how do you guys feel about me leaving up the mounting up to you guys? i was under the car on a lift looking and it would keep cost from rising and make it a butload shorter that it would take to make the entire part. i fell it is the best option as it keeps cost down and some people may not like the way i would mount it. i may show how i mount mine and you guys can go off that kinda as a example. i Just feel it would take forver to come up with a jig to make the same bracket multiple times and never have fitment issues. Anyways, stayed after work again and got a bit more work done, slowly but surely im chipping away at it each day and its getting cloer to being ready. Some of these pictures are with the mtal fresh from being cut with the plasma cutter, so dont worry if the edges look wavy or uneven it will get grinded and straightened before the mold is made.

I Support ClubWRX

I like it so far, keep up the good work. Id be down for a fiberglass piece. Carbon fiber does nothing for me. Don't get me wrong I like the look but weight issues makes no difference

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

interested!

Stainless. Total win.

Ok guys since there isn't very much interest on this forum, the rest of the updates will be over on nasioc. If you don't have a account over there, simply pm on here once it's time for payments and such and we will work it out that way. Thanks again for the interest guys. You can find the other thread in the members car gallery, same title.

So the concept of a material proven over 30 years of rallying is getting ignored?
    The heat resistance, durability, etc., are superior to plastics.

If you did carbon, it would require an aramid to have the crush resistance to withstand road debris.

It is a known fact that ABS is about the only cheat on metal, and it is already available in that material, with vanes, from SPT.

Make those beasts from 1/16" Stainless, drill it, box em up, n kill a hole in da market like a boss.
    I'd get in it, but I'm timeless. Fully panned bugeye. Lol.
    Last edited by Impreza2.0; 12-31-2012 at 09:30 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Laextreme5 View Post
    Ok guys since there isn't very much interest on this forum, the rest of the updates will be over on nasioc. If you don't have a account over there, simply pm on here once it's time for payments and such and we will work it out that way. Thanks again for the interest guys. You can find the other thread in the members car gallery, same title.
    where on nasioc?
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

I would have gone with a design that was inboard of the exhaust pipes. The extra parts under the tips are useless, as are the parts to the outside (the whole thing is useless other than for looks really, but that's the point here anyway is obviously looks). The parts under the tips will also be highly at risk from heat damage.

This will save you a lot in materials cost as well as manufacturing time, making it easier to both make and sell them. Just my .02...
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Impreza2.0 View Post
    So the concept of a material proven over 30 years of rallying is getting ignored?
    The heat resistance, durability, etc., are superior to plastics.

If you did carbon, it would require an aramid to have the crush resistance to withstand road debris.

It is a known fact that ABS is about the only cheat on metal, and it is already available in that material, with vanes, from SPT.

Make those beasts from 1/16" Stainless, drill it, box em up, n kill a hole in da market like a boss.
    I'd get in it, but I'm timeless. Fully panned bugeye. Lol.
    Because none of use have a rally car. Let's just add pointless weight modifications (which are strictly for aesthetics anyway) and take away from the performance of the vehicle.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.