'13 front License Plate..what did you guys do?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on '13 front License Plate..what did you guys do? within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Just got this car a month ago and it's time for me to put a front license plate on. I ...

Just got this car a month ago and it's time for me to put a front license plate on. I bought it from a dealer in PA, but I currently live in VT and we require a front plate here. Unfortunately, these holes don't line up...so uhhhhh, did you guys just drill or what? Or did you use a bracket? I looked at a few other threads, but looking for current info.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I just screwed it into mine, there were these little dimple looking things that lined right up with the holes on my license plate.

You could always go with the grimmspeed relocation kit that uses the towing point if you don't want to screw the plate right into the bumper.
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

I didnt have that problem with my plates, however, I would recommend drilling the plate to match the hole on the car. I did this for my motorcycle plate.
    wick3djester
    2012 WRX HB (OBP)

I just ordered the Totsubo License Plate Bracket from South Coast Performance. They should be arriving in the next day or so. I'll let you know how they work out when they get here.http://southcoastperformance.com/ind...t&product_id=3

Other than a DIY project and the Totsubo mount, I haven't been able to find anything else center mounted that doesn't require drilling into the bumper. You could also go with one that uses the tow hook, as mentioned above.

If I get the grimmspeed relocation kit, I will then have to get the license plate delete since theres already holes in the middle of the bumper. wouldn't it look funny with both a license plate delete and then having the plate side mounted?

Quote Originally Posted by rurso01 View Post
    If I get the grimmspeed relocation kit, I will then have to get the license plate delete since theres already holes in the middle of the bumper. wouldn't it look funny with both a license plate delete and then having the plate side mounted?
    Correct me if I'm wrong, however, the holes you see there come like that from the factory I believe, so there might not be anyway to "delete" them other than covering with one of the many license plate cover deletes. I don't think it would look stupid with a license plate delete and the relocation kit. I might do the same thing when my '13 comes in, just have to find a delete you like to cover the holes, I'm sure they make decent looking ones.

I don't think it would look stupid at all.

Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

Quote Originally Posted by olenderc View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, however, the holes you see there come like that from the factory I believe, so there might not be anyway to "delete" them other than covering with one of the many license plate cover deletes. I don't think it would look stupid with a license plate delete and the relocation kit. I might do the same thing when my '13 comes in, just have to find a delete you like to cover the holes, I'm sure they make decent looking ones.
    Another option:
    Welcome
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

ohhh good call Will! I totally forgot about those.

Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

Quote Originally Posted by xFalleNx View Post
    ohhh good call Will! I totally forgot about those.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Just got the Totsubo mounts. Here are some crappy pics I snapped before work.

Kinda spendy for what they are, but IMHO better than the other options. They install pretty easily and the backside has a soft plastic/rubber cover so they don't scratch the bumper. I added a basic black frame around my plates, but you don't have to. They do stick out about .5-.75 inches, which looks like a lot up close, but from farther away look fine to me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354198783.911146.jpg 
Views:	267 
Size:	58.5 KB 
ID:	109935

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354198818.576966.jpg 
Views:	267 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	109936

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354198834.096070.jpg 
Views:	266 
Size:	44.5 KB 
ID:	109937

Front plates are also required here in Utah. All of the dealerships around here just drill two holes inbetween the existing non-standard holes on the front bumper.
    2012 PBP Limited STI
    2002 Aspen White WRX Wagon, Stage 1

I got the perrin license plate delete and relocation kit, I haven't installed it yet. How do I remove the cover of the tow hook? What tool should i use so I don't damage the paint of the bumper?
    JOE
    2013 WRX DGM
    Stink Eye Mob #82

Just installed the Totsubo kit. Paid 39.00 shipped. Works great. No way i was drilling into my bumper. Probably not a big deal, but to my soul it was. IMO, should be included with every Subaru sold in a state where front license plates are required.

My holes don't match up either. Mine is attached in the stock location with coarse thread sheet metal screws straight into the bumper cover. It was like that when I bought it and it works and looks normal. The plate has been bent by driving through almost a foot of un-plowed snow on Squaw Pass and my aux. lights are mounted on aluminum flat bar which is held by the license plate screws so strength is not really an issue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast