How do I re-attach my wiper blade?!

This is a discussion on How do I re-attach my wiper blade?! within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Seriously. This has got to be the first time that I've ever failed to put a wiper blade on a ...

How do I re-attach my wiper blade?!

Seriously. This has got to be the first time that I've ever failed to put a wiper blade on a car and I feel like a moron having to ask, but maybe I'll feel in dumber having to go to SOA to get the parts department to put it back on.

2013 WRX hatchback

When I was washing my car, I pulled the rear wiper off the windshield so I could clean it. I accidentally bumped into the wiper and the blade fell off the arm. "Easy enough, I'll just put it back on," I said to myself... except I can't. I've pushed the blade back into the arm but can't rotate it to get the tiny locks into place. It looks like the hinge in the socket is actually preventing it from rotating, despite that it looks like I've pushed it all the way into the arm. I've pushed awfully hard to try and go further, but feel like I'm going to break the arm if I go any more.

As far as I can tell, the arm & blade merely separated and I'm missing no parts whatsoever. Neither the blade hinge & locks, nor the wiper arm itself appear damaged in any way.

Is there a trick to this?! I can post pics later if needed....

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

post pics. its hard to tell what you mean...i drive a sedan

i can see that. although these pics may not make it any easier to anyone who has never changed one of these before... it looks obvious, but the obvious ain't working...

(attempts to upload 3 100 kB photos)

....and apparently I have exceeded my quota and cannot upload anymore pictures... I'll be at the dealership in the morning.

I Support ClubWRX
    Upload the pic to Photobucket & paste the url in the "insert image" pop up. You can post as many pics as you want.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    Upload the pic to Photobucket & paste the url in the "insert image" pop up. You can post as many pics as you want.
    THANK YOU! Great idea...

(btw only worked by disabling "retrieve remote file and reference locally")

Last edited by drkhead; 11-12-2012 at 05:46 PM.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0141.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	40.2 KB 
ID:	109498

You can see on the bottom of the gap where the hinge is supposed to go, that there is a groove (there is one on the underside as well) for a cylindrical knob to slide back and forth (so the thing doesn't just fall off like it did on me).

The problem is that when I put the hinge in, I can't get these cylinders to get into the groove no matter if the hinge is in all the way or not.

The wiper hinge is connected, but needs to be rotated in counter-clockwise manner (as you look at it in this picture), yet this obviously doesn't work.

SOLVED. FYI-

Apparently, I was doing nothing wrong at all. For some reason, the blade hinge must've gotten burred on the first attempt and could never rotate properly after that.

The dealership used a brand new one and had zero trouble getting that one on in the same manner that I was trying to get the old one on.

It looked obvious and was, except it was a "broken part".