Subaru WRX Forum banner

Mudflaps on newer wide body (11+?) WRX - Needed?

3K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  teflon_jones 
#1 ·
Just ordered my 2013 DGM base hatch from dealer and the sales guy owns the same car himself. He showed me he added rally armor mudflaps to his car not just for the looks, but because he noted on his older WRXs that rocks always tore up the area below the rear door. I've found threads for older models saying this is definately true but does this still hold up with newer WRXs?

TBH I don't like the looks, but I don't want my car all torn up. If it's the same wear that any other car sees I'll probably pass on them, but if it's truly an issue with THIS car that should be addressed I supposed I'll add them. Thanks!

#2 ·
It is a love/hate thing with mudflaps. I have them on my car. I cannot confirm that they prevent chips since I have had them since when I have had the car .If you are talking about the area around the lower rear corner of the rear door,then that area is protected by factory installed clear film.

Sadly there are many other ways of picking up scratches & chips on your paint.

#3 ·
I'll post my picture, and you can decide for yourself. This was after a 50 mile round trip the day after the tropical storm in MA - so the roads had some debris on them. I'm not a huge fan of the looks, but I think they work rather well.

#4 ·
I can see where that definitely helped keep the car clean, but I don't know that it saved your paint. If it's no different than any other car, I didn't buy mud flaps on previous vehicles and they were fine othen than minor chipping/dents. It sounds like it's mostly just a style thing with added functional bonus. Thanks again.

#5 ·
I can confirm that it prevents paint damage on the rear wheel flairs. I didn't get mud flaps until after 3 month of getting the car. I noticed that the rear flair started getting sand blasted (Outside the area of the factory protective film). I got the mud flaps since then and never looked back.

#6 ·
I didn't get the mudflaps at first either, but the only real problem I had was when driving on rocky or gravel roads. Without the flaps I would get dust and rock pieces all over my rear doors and the hatch would be completely covered. It was messy and awful. After the flaps, same road, barely got the car dirty!

If you mainly keep the car on the street and the roads you drive on are in good condition, you'd probably be okay without them. Your paint will probably still chip because it's cheap.

#7 ·
Yeah I've heard the paint sucks. I'm not anal when it comes to exterior so I think it will be ok. Mostly paved roads for me. Ill keep an eye on it and add them later if needed. Thanks for the input.

#8 ·
I've gone a year and half without and haven't seen anything beyond normal wear. Lots of it depends on the roads you travel. I think a lot of people just like the look - I actually do, but have other uses for the money right now.

#13 ·
I don't have them and drive on roads that have more rocks and debris than anywhere in the country and I have absolutely zero chips/scratches/anything where the tires throw things against the paint.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.