Mudflaps on newer wide body (11+?) WRX - Needed?

This is a discussion on Mudflaps on newer wide body (11+?) WRX - Needed? within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Just ordered my 2013 DGM base hatch from dealer and the sales guy owns the same car himself. He showed ...

Mudflaps on newer wide body (11+?) WRX - Needed?

Just ordered my 2013 DGM base hatch from dealer and the sales guy owns the same car himself. He showed me he added rally armor mudflaps to his car not just for the looks, but because he noted on his older WRXs that rocks always tore up the area below the rear door. I've found threads for older models saying this is definately true but does this still hold up with newer WRXs?

TBH I don't like the looks, but I don't want my car all torn up. If it's the same wear that any other car sees I'll probably pass on them, but if it's truly an issue with THIS car that should be addressed I supposed I'll add them. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    It is a love/hate thing with mudflaps. I have them on my car. I cannot confirm that they prevent chips since I have had them since when I have had the car .If you are talking about the area around the lower rear corner of the rear door,then that area is protected by factory installed clear film.

Sadly there are many other ways of picking up scratches & chips on your paint.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I'll post my picture, and you can decide for yourself. This was after a 50 mile round trip the day after the tropical storm in MA - so the roads had some debris on them. I'm not a huge fan of the looks, but I think they work rather well.

I can see where that definitely helped keep the car clean, but I don't know that it saved your paint. If it's no different than any other car, I didn't buy mud flaps on previous vehicles and they were fine othen than minor chipping/dents. It sounds like it's mostly just a style thing with added functional bonus. Thanks again.

KHP
    I can confirm that it prevents paint damage on the rear wheel flairs. I didn't get mud flaps until after 3 month of getting the car. I noticed that the rear flair started getting sand blasted (Outside the area of the factory protective film). I got the mud flaps since then and never looked back.
    2011 WRX Limited Spark Silver (5 Door)

I didn't get the mudflaps at first either, but the only real problem I had was when driving on rocky or gravel roads. Without the flaps I would get dust and rock pieces all over my rear doors and the hatch would be completely covered. It was messy and awful. After the flaps, same road, barely got the car dirty!

If you mainly keep the car on the street and the roads you drive on are in good condition, you'd probably be okay without them. Your paint will probably still chip because it's cheap.

Yeah I've heard the paint sucks. I'm not anal when it comes to exterior so I think it will be ok. Mostly paved roads for me. Ill keep an eye on it and add them later if needed. Thanks for the input.

Wants to Sell His Honyota Civilander..Any Takers? BigDaddyRex's Avatar
    I've gone a year and half without and haven't seen anything beyond normal wear. Lots of it depends on the roads you travel. I think a lot of people just like the look - I actually do, but have other uses for the money right now.
    - Chris
    2011 WRX DGM (The Fastest Color) 5DR
    Cobb AP OTS Stage 1 93, STS (the dream comes true ...)

I have opticoat on my car and after just passing the 10k mark I can tell you that I don't have a single chip, nor any sandblasting on my paint. no mudflaps either.
    2012 WRX: TurboXS DP, AEM CAI, TP stage 2 tune

What is "OptiCoat"?

I have them on my 2011 sedan along with the side corner bras. The lower sides on my car def have taken some road debri BEFORE i put the flaps on.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by chipset35 View Post
    What is "OptiCoat"?
    The opti-coat thread
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I don't have them and drive on roads that have more rocks and debris than anywhere in the country and I have absolutely zero chips/scratches/anything where the tires throw things against the paint.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading