HID Kit for 2004 WRX

This is a discussion on HID Kit for 2004 WRX within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I am interested in replacing my low-beams with an HID conversion kit. I have been looking around and have found ...

HID Kit for 2004 WRX

I am interested in replacing my low-beams with an HID conversion kit. I have been looking around and have found them for a little over $100 which I think is a great price. My question is has anyone does this? If so, is it alright to use the stock WRX headlight housing with the new bulbs or should I get new housings that have the projector lens in them?
    That awkward moment when you realize that an energy drink company has a better space program than your country...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    The OEM housings cannot properly utilize HID bulbs. As far as replacement full assemblies go, if the price is crazy low, ask yourself why. There are a lot of sub par Chinese made HID assemblies out there. I'd suggest top quality bulbs and polish any haze off of the exterior of the OEM headlights.

Do a search for H1 Narva Rangepower 50+ bulbs. German made, they are the best low beam bulbs for your WRX. I've been using them for years.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

What color temperature are they?
    That awkward moment when you realize that an energy drink company has a better space program than your country...

inb4brfatal
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    The OEM housings cannot properly utilize HID bulbs. As far as replacement full assemblies go, if the price is crazy low, ask yourself why. There are a lot of sub par Chinese made HID assemblies out there. I'd suggest top quality bulbs and polish any haze off of the exterior of the OEM headlights.

Do a search for H1 Narva Rangepower 50+ bulbs. German made, they are the best low beam bulbs for your WRX. I've been using them for years.
    Very good advice....

I fell into the low-cost HID trap many years ago and had sooo many issues with them. Intermittency, ballast just falling apart, and even the wiring melting at the fuse of their own harness... this was from DDM tuning IIRC.

I Support ClubWRX
    Do not get hung up on color temperature. What is far more important are lumens - the actual light output. Blue make look "cool", but any tint including blue reduces overall light output.

The Narvas are the brightest in terms of light output of any H1 bulb out there. Their only downside is their reduced lifespan compared to OEM bulbs. I was able to get 6 years out one bulb, 7 out of the other. Just installed two new ones recently.

Quote Originally Posted by drkhead View Post
    Very good advice....

I fell into the low-cost HID trap many years ago and had sooo many issues with them. Intermittency, ballast just falling apart, and even the wiring melting at the fuse of their own harness... this was from DDM tuning IIRC.
    Ah yep. OEM quality HID kits do not exist from what I have seen. Don't skimp on lighting.
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 11-12-2012 at 01:20 PM.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    Mods & Pics

I'm not looking for the "cool" color. I want something that is going to light up the road better than the OEM bulbs. I think I will go with the suggested bulbs, thanks for the help guys!

I Support ClubWRX
    Not sure if Dan is still buying / selling: Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply Good reading there as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake2004 View Post
    I'm not looking for the "cool" color. I want something that is going to light up the road better than the OEM bulbs. I think I will go with the suggested bulbs, thanks for the help guys!
    Mods & Pics