Tint for my 2013 WRX
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Tint for my 2013 WRX within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just called and set up an appointment to get my windows tinted next Friday. He said we would discuss ...

Tint for my 2013 WRX

I just called and set up an appointment to get my windows tinted next Friday. He said we would discuss shade options when I got there. I said I didn't want to go too dark to attract attention since PA tint laws suck. He suggested 35% on the side windows and 18% on the back window. He said with the back window blocking out more sun it would make the side windows seem darker. Has anyone heard of this?

Sent from my Galaxy SIII using Tapatalk 2
    2013 WRX Sedan DGM

-Paul

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

It is true that the amount of light hitting the interior of the car will affect how visible the interior is through the tint.

It will not mask the fact that the fronts and rears are drastically different shades.

I had 30 up front and 15 in the back on my RSX. The different was noticeable no matter what the lighting. I wanted a more uniform look so with the WRX I just got the same level (30) all around.

I also didn't want the back to be as dark as they were with the 15, as I had problems at night-time when I was backing up at times.
    Last edited by Calvinball; 10-05-2012 at 08:56 AM.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I just got mine done yesterday, and they said the same thing. I opted for 30% all around, because too dark in the back equals, for me, stress when in reverse. I like how it turned out.
    Ready, Fire, Aim!
    2013 SWP WRX Hatch
    Austin, Texas

Proud Member #512 of the Stink-Eye Mob

I Support ClubWRX

Re: Tint for my 2013 WRX

If you're not going to tint uniformly, my advice is to tint the rear three the same and the front two lighter. Manufacturers usually do that, so it won't look as awkward, in my opinion.

FWIW...

Most people I know who have had roadside discussions with LEO were caused by the front two windows being too dark, not the rears; the rears were only an issue after the initial stop. My rear windows aren't legal and I've yet to have an issue because my fronts are fine; even in the multiple stops I've had, nothing has been said about them. Obviously, YMMV
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Wants to Sell His Honyota Civilander..Any Takers? BigDaddyRex's Avatar
    Depending on where you live an extra dark tint in the back can really be a pain when you want to back-up. I'm 30 all around - which around here is about what the LEOs will tolerate though it's not legal - and like it a lot. My area does not have much road lighting, so at nighttime and reverse - sometimes even left and right - vision is compromised somewhat. Having been in cars with darker tint, the issue gets incrementally worse. I like the look of dark tint, but the part where I want to actually have good vision out of my car made 30 a nice compromise.
    - Chris
    2011 WRX DGM (The Fastest Color) 5DR
    Cobb AP OTS Stage 1 93, STS (the dream comes true ...)

I Support ClubWRX
    I'd pick what you want from the samples he shows you and then go 1 step lighter than what you think you want, it always comes out looking darker than the sample makes it look IME.
    -Clayton, Your official CLUBWRX Subaru Dealer!
    CLUBWRX New car buying program SAVE HUGE on new Subarus:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...ubwrx-net.html
    Ask a Subaru Dealer thread:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/car-pu...ru-dealer.html
    FREE 3rd party vehicle inspections:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...spections.html

I got 30 all around and personally, I wouldnt want it any darker. When I saw it in the shop after it was done, it didn't look that dark, but any more and I would have trouble seeing out at night
    Zach
    Teh Intern @ WTF Tuning, LLC

2009 WRB Subaru Wrx Sedan: WTF Tuning Stg2
    Stink eye Mob #287
    N.E.R.D. #43252003274489856000 (the total number of configurations of the Rubik cube)
    "It's not turbo-lag, it's foreplay"

Thanks for the tips and advice guys. I'll probably end up leaning towards 30% or 35% all the way around. I like the more uniform look.

I Support ClubWRX
    I got 15% on rear doors and the back, 35% on the front doors. I some times wish I would have gone 15% all around, then I drive at night in a poorly lit area and am glad I went with 35% fronts.

I actually would suggest the darker tint on the rear window as it greatly helps with the ******* truck/SUV factor....those morons that feel the need to drive an offroad ready high clearance SUV/truck despite spending 99.999% of their time in an urban setting, and are compelled to drive so close they could smell you burp at 60mph
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

Quote Originally Posted by DemonWRX View Post
    I got 15% on rear doors and the back, 35% on the front doors. I some times wish I would have gone 15% all around, then I drive at night in a poorly lit area and am glad I went with 35% fronts.

I actually would suggest the darker tint on the rear window as it greatly helps with the ******* truck/SUV factor....those morons that feel the need to drive an offroad ready high clearance SUV/truck despite spending 99.999% of their time in an urban setting, and are compelled to drive so close they could smell you burp at 60mph
    And then it snows and they stay home and we drive circles around them...
    Zach
    Teh Intern @ WTF Tuning, LLC

2009 WRB Subaru Wrx Sedan: WTF Tuning Stg2
    Stink eye Mob #287
    N.E.R.D. #43252003274489856000 (the total number of configurations of the Rubik cube)
    "It's not turbo-lag, it's foreplay"

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by spirited09wrx View Post
    And then it snows and they stay home and we drive circles around them...
    Yes or they end up in a ditch because their two and a half ton snow fortress decides it doesn't like stopping or turning.
    -Clayton, Your official CLUBWRX Subaru Dealer!
    CLUBWRX New car buying program SAVE HUGE on new Subarus:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...ubwrx-net.html
    Ask a Subaru Dealer thread:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/car-pu...ru-dealer.html
    FREE 3rd party vehicle inspections:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...spections.html

Quote Originally Posted by DemonWRX View Post

Heres mine with 15% all around... Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0347.jpg 
Views:	339 
Size:	112.5 KB 
ID:	108942
    2012 Dark Grey Metallic STi

"Drive Hard. Look Good. Be Loud. Get some."
    you

I went with 20% all the way around, wouldn't go any darker than that.
    2012 DGM 5 DOOR WRX
    Mods: Stage 2+
    "I live my life a twelve year old at a time. For those ten seconds or less, I'm free."
    Official ClubWRX Creeper

The place I went to only had 35% and 18% as an option, they had higher and lower, but didn't want to go in those directions. I went with 35%. It looks pretty good! I'll post pics when I get my car cleaned up. Freaking birds keep pooping on it!

STI looks good with 15% ! But I think 15% would attract too much attention around my area
    Last edited by squiRe2001; 10-20-2012 at 08:54 PM.
    2013 WRX Sedan DGM

-Paul

I just got my car tinted last week, I got 15% on the front and 5% on the back.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0064.jpg 
Views:	281 
Size:	130.7 KB 
ID:	109380

I had the same level on my last car in Michigan and had no problems with the police.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast