2012 WRX head lights (low beams)
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 2012 WRX head lights (low beams) within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a 2012 wrx premium. The high beams seem to be quite good. They are better than any car ...

2012 WRX head lights (low beams)

I have a 2012 wrx premium. The high beams seem to be quite good. They are better than any car i've ever had but when I switch to the low beams on back country roads they are horrible. They are nice and bright for about 20ft and then after that its just completely dark. The light doesn't gradually dissipate. It just goes from bright light to pitch black and it is very uncomfortable while driving? Any tips or suggestions? When i have my low beams on I can't see anything ahead of me which is bad news.
    '12 WRX Premium 5door (SWP)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Are we confusing low beams and high beams here? Low beams are the lights that are on normally when driving, high beams are what you would switch to on back country roads at night when alone.

The low beams are focused, they have a cut off so they don't extend any farther than they are supposed to; what is deemed as the appropriate distance in front of you for driving at night to react. If you're alone on a dark road and feel you need to see farther in front of you, you can switch to the highbeams which just splay the light out everywhere in front of them.

If your low beams are aimed too low for you, you can adjust them so that the beams go out farther, but you have to be careful here so as not to blind people.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

C'mon. Yes i know the difference between high/low beams. A lot of the time I have to use the lowbeams on back roads because there is traffic ( even though they're back roads ) I've had a few other cars and never had a problem with the low beams and just to note, I will be careful about it I ****ing hate when people blind me with their lights. It happens everyday.
    Anyway. Can you adjust the low beams without affecting the highbeams? I thought that was all one unit.

The low beams in my other cars are ok .. they are dim and still can see with the light gradually getting lighter as the distance goes on. With the wrx i see 20ft of light then its pitch black afterwards. What if there's a tree on the road. I'll never see it.

Try switching out the OEM H11 bulbs to H9 bulbs. You'll have to snip off a portion of the connector tab on the new bulb in order for it to plug into the factory connection.

Google H11 to H9 conversion 2011 WRX and you'll find a few threads on NASIOC. IIRC, the H9 bulbs offer a brighter light output while only using 10 more watts.
    '11 WRX 5-door Premium - Satin White Pearl
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...-progress.html

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    No offense was intended here, you'd be surprised the things people confuse around here sometimes. Your other cars probably don't have projector housings. Projectors focus the light and like I said cut it off after a certain distance so as not to flood the entire range with light. The visible range with projectors is MUCH brighter compared to regular reflector housings, but if the light isn't going far enough, then that is a problem you can remedy by adjusting them.

Yes, you can adjust them manually by themselves. If it's the same as the 2011, there is an 8mm bolt on the back of the bulb housings that you can turn to adjust up or down. The passenger side is a pain since you have to remove the intake cowling, but that's all of two pins that you need to remove. The highbeams are located in that big reflector are on the inside of the housings, and to my knowledge aren't adjustable.

If you're not getting the actual light output you think you should be getting, you can always try replacing the bulbs with something better.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Anub1s View Post
    No offense was intended here, you'd be surprised the things people confuse around here sometimes. Your other cars probably don't have projector housings. Projectors focus the light and like I said cut it off after a certain distance so as not to flood the entire range with light. The visible range with projectors is MUCH brighter compared to regular reflector housings, but if the light isn't going far enough, then that is a problem you can remedy by adjusting them.

Yes, you can adjust them manually by themselves. If it's the same as the 2011, there is an 8mm bolt on the back of the bulb housings that you can turn to adjust up or down. The passenger side is a pain since you have to remove the intake cowling, but that's all of two pins that you need to remove. The highbeams are located in that big reflector are on the inside of the housings, and to my knowledge aren't adjustable.

If you're not getting the actual light output you think you should be getting, you can always try replacing the bulbs with something better.
    Thank Your very much sir.

On my 09 the HID lights work well, properly adjusted. I had to take the driver side light down a bit. When I turn on the hi beam the HID lights stay on and the halogen bulbs adds to the light. I am very happy with the lights on my subie... Now, the daylight driving lights are just the hi beams on dim. Thats a completely different thing. But I don't think you're getting that mixed up...
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

So I just looked it up and even the premium does not come with HID lights standard. I thought for sure it would. Sorry, looks like you'll have to go with the "better" bulbs or retrofit...
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.