Getting new headlights, can use some opinions and feedback!

This is a discussion on Getting new headlights, can use some opinions and feedback! within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; SO!! My birthday was a few days ago and a buddy of mine got me a set of HID's for ...

Question Getting new headlights, can use some opinions and feedback!

SO!!

My birthday was a few days ago and a buddy of mine got me a set of HID's for my wrx. He told me go ahead and put em in, i said i dont have projectors, he said put em in anyway.

Being someone who wears glasses and struggles with semi night time blindness, i know how stupid it is to throw HIDS in a headlight with reflectors because when I see it in on coming traffic the rage starts and never ends even when the car is outta sight. Either way I was shopping for new headlights anyway and im stuck. Ive been checking ebay because thats where i got projector lights for the 4runner i used to drive.

Can anyone suggest a good place to purchase a new set of headlights with projectors? I was thinking of gettin a retrofit kit but when i had the runner getting new lamps was just easier.

I was checkin ebay and here are some i found.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$(KGrHqF,!p8E8WkPfVc,BPJikOWUfw~~60_12.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	56.3 KB 
ID:	108440

Name:	$(KGrHqV,!oMF!Z9krnbTBQT3z33bUQ~~60_3.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	74.6 KB 
ID:	108441

Name:	$(KGrHqVHJE4E+Wco-yVrBQU3ofMyq!~~60_3.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	70.6 KB 
ID:	108442

The black one has a grey smoked lens, the chrome one is a clear lens and the other one has no lens.

what do you guys think looks better on a black midnight pearl wrx and do you know of anywhere else to get projector headlights?? I know in the end its up to my preference but im interested in your opinions.

thanks in advanced for any input!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX

Getting new headlights, can use some opinions and feedback!

There's a company that sells projectors that fit inside your existing housings but I don't recall the name. The lights you linked - do you trust those projectors are projectors and that they'll work at least as well as your existing 9007s? Curious.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Ok, take your ebay list, and toss it in the garbage. Those lights are junk, don't bother.

If you want a true projector, check out The Retrofit Source online: headlight upgrades for all applications

The simplest kit they offer is the Morimoto Mini Stage III H1 kit. All you need to do is disassemble your headlights and install these inside the reflector. You can email them for recommendations.

If you want a bit higher output, you can do a full retrofit (requires cutting, the above kit does not) or pay for one done.

Alternatively, you can scour the interwebs for a rare set of Morettes, like I have:

That's not my car, but mine looks exactly like it.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

Agreed those projectors off eBay are not good. They have a really weired cut off and I don't think even a ballast. The retrofit source is the spot to go. Go on their forums and search and ask.everyone there is super nice and informative.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    There's a company that sells projectors that fit inside your existing housings but I don't recall the name. The lights you linked - do you trust those projectors are projectors and that they'll work at least as well as your existing 9007s? Curious.
    I got my 4runner lights from ebay and they worked very well, its been about 4 years and they are still working great with no issues yet. Very little fogging and such and the output was pretty good compared to my friends 2006 4runner with stock projector lamps. The only thing was the 2004 4runner used 9006 bulbs, and when I got the new headlights they were I believe H1 style. Not a huge deal since I didn't purchase an HID kit before hand at the time. Then Rambo brings up an important point about quality i am just as interested in the quality in aesthetics as I am with quality in performance and I know of retrofit source so I may be looking into them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    Ok, take your ebay list, and toss it in the garbage. Those lights are junk, don't bother.

If you want a true projector, check out The Retrofit Source online: headlight upgrades for all applications

The simplest kit they offer is the Morimoto Mini Stage III H1 kit. All you need to do is disassemble your headlights and install these inside the reflector. You can email them for recommendations.

If you want a bit higher output, you can do a full retrofit (requires cutting, the above kit does not) or pay for one done.

Alternatively, you can scour the interwebs for a rare set of Morettes, like I have:

That's not my car, but mine looks exactly like it.
    You do raise a good point. I'm not ready to make a purchase any time soon so I've got a lot of time to learn how to do the retrofit myself and/or search for a set of Morettes (they look awesome). Thanks for all the input and feedback guys.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by surchk View Post
    You do raise a good point. I'm not ready to make a purchase any time soon so I've got a lot of time to learn how to do the retrofit myself and/or search for a set of Morettes (they look awesome). Thanks for all the input and feedback guys.
    No worries, I just went through all of this process, so the least I can do is share my findings.

To be honest, Morettes are incredibly rare. They've been out of production for around 5 years now, and I've only seen two sets come up for sale in the last three or four years. I got lucky, and a set came up shortly before I planned my retrofit.

The H1 kit is what the staff at The Retrofit Source personally recommended to me as the easiest DIY retrofit for bugeyes. It's not the highest performing variant, but only requires opening the lenses, not the rather extensive reflector cutting that their more advanced kits require. If you want the higher performing kits, I'd recommend a professional shop like LightWerkz to the retrofit for you, as they are highly respected, and will get the job done right. Expect to pay in the $300-400 range for retrofit parts alone, or around $1000+ for a shop to do all the work for you (parts included).

Happy research!
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    No worries, I just went through all of this process, so the least I can do is share my findings.

To be honest, Morettes are incredibly rare. They've been out of production for around 5 years now, and I've only seen two sets come up for sale in the last three or four years. I got lucky, and a set came up shortly before I planned my retrofit.

The H1 kit is what the staff at The Retrofit Source personally recommended to me as the easiest DIY retrofit for bugeyes. It's not the highest performing variant, but only requires opening the lenses, not the rather extensive reflector cutting that their more advanced kits require. If you want the higher performing kits, I'd recommend a professional shop like LightWerkz to the retrofit for you, as they are highly respected, and will get the job done right. Expect to pay in the $300-400 range for retrofit parts alone, or around $1000+ for a shop to do all the work for you (parts included).

Happy research!
    Yeah I also know of LightWerkz and their work, its some amazing stuff. I may end up having someone else (like LW) get a retrofit done for me. But I still wanna keep my eye out for Morettes. After doing a bit of searching for Morette, i think they are back in business. One of their main distributors is RapidFord in the UK. They closed up shop a few years ago, then relocated their factory from France to Beligum. Apparently a RapidFord/Morette rep made a post on the WRXTuners site regarding their situation. The Morettes are listed on RapidFords site for around 440-450 GBP depending on wether you want the beam adjustor or not. There is a 2-3 week wait as they are built per order. For now ill just call around and get quotes on having the work done (as far as retro fitting goes) give me a computer and ill fix it, give me a car and ill break it as simple as some mods are ill find a way to turn a simple 20min diy into a 6 hour task.

In any case, lights and body stuff are lower down on my list. Im in the process of scraping up cash for my stage 2 (pipes, ap, and all). Once thats outta the way then ill work on the looks abit more (lighting skirts and so on).

Thanks for the feedback and input!